View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Video Portefolio
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:07 pm 
Penguin

Hey guys,

First of all, I'm Daniel new to the forums. Been reading a lot and deceided to get my own account to :-). I have been practicing magic for over 7 years now. Been doing it casually mostly (and for free). I preform basically everywhere I go (I always have my deck of bycicles/Tally Ho's ready). I'm 17 years old now and I need to find a job (quoting my parents here :P). Instead of working a 5 euro per hour job in the local grocerry store I want to do something with my magic. I got multiple routines ready, have willingless to learn and ''tighten up'' my preformance.

I have been scavanging the forums, seems one of the best ways to get gigs is to call, e-mail, even drop by. All I have been doing untill now is handing out buisness cards to everybody I preform for (no succes yet). I want to start calling and E-mailing. But a video portefolio seems crucial. problem is: I have none. And I also have no idea how to create one/what it should include

Thus my question

How do I make a good video portefolio

- What should it include?
- How do I make it (who films it?)
- What should I film?
- How long should it be?
- Where should I film?
- How do I ask people neatly to give a short comment on what they saw or something similar?

Any other advice on creating a portefolio would be amazing.

Some more information about me

I do

- Your regular assortiment of card tricks (impromptu)
- Sponge balls
- basics coin magic (small routines)
- A very light (Derren Brown-ish) mentalism routine. I like to keep it clean and real. And simply explain it is a trick. Often this gives great reactions.
- Getting the hang of XCM, not preforming it till I perfected it though (would have to do an aerial and drop all my cards ^_^.

I would say my greatest strenght lies in card magic. I know enough effect to ''wing it'' and got multiple routines at the ready.

I have taken a few ''preforming/acting/speaking'' classes to enhance my preformance.
I really make an entertainment show. Its not like ''hey wanna see a trick? amazing huh''
I dont like to brag whilst doing a trick.
I walk away from tough cookies. (credits to Ellusionist for teaching me this technique). I treat magic as a gift I give.

I hope this suffices, should there be anything else you need to know feel free to ask!

Thanks for the advice in advance! looking forward to it!

ps: It would also be awesome to have a kind of ''template'' of E-mails i can see. How do they look, how do you adress people etc. (naturally they differ per situation but at least there should be some similarities). Maybe a/a few examples of send (succesfull) E-mails.

Kindest regards,

- Daniel Langeveld

From The Netherlands
Amsterdam

Post subject: Re: Video Portefolio
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:14 pm 
born to perform.

Hey Daniel you should check out my blog which will help you get gigs if you implement the techniques.

www.paidtoperform.blogspot.com

And the blog about demo videos is here: http://paidtoperform.blogspot.com/2010/ ... video.html

I'm assuming you can't hire professionals to film/edit your demo so ask a friend to record your show. A demo doesn't have a specific length. It should be as long or as short as it takes to sell you. The average is 5 minutes.

The type of footage you film will depend on the type of gigs you want. If you want kid shows then film yourself performing for kids. If you want corporate shows then film a corporate event. And if you don't have a corporate event lined up then walk into a hotel wearing a suit and go to an event where people are dressed really nice...then start performing for a group while filming it (then it looks like you were hired for the gig).

At the end all you have to say is "Hey guys I've been recording a few people on what they thought about the performance so do you mind saying something into the camera?"

The first step to booking gigs is to be clear on what type of gigs you want. Once you know which market you want to perform for then you can start marketing to them. And the more defined your market is, the easier it will be to reach them and book gigs.

But take a look at my blog and you will have tons of information that will get you started

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:07 pm 
Penguin

Hey Benji,

Great tips you give on your blog! You're doing an awesome job! So bear with me here

I want to do gigs for

- receptions/buffets/coorperate parties
- weddings and such
- Restaurant table hopping

Say my target group were cooperations. dont worry I got a suit! ;-).

''walk into a hotel wearing a suit and go to an event where people are dressed really nice...then start performing for a group while filming it (then it looks like you were hired for the gig).''

I got the balls to do that for sure. But is that legal? I would expect most of these event would be closed here in The Netherlands (and a seventeen year old at some cooperate event would quickly be spotted I guess). Still i'm going to give it a shot (once I know if its legal or not xD).

Do you suggest creating a demo including all these groups? Or smaller separate demo's for each target market. Or would you advice me to specify on one market (if so which one would it be?) I have no experience preforming (officially) in any of these situations so I have no idea how the feel is. I assume receptions and close up things would be my favorite.

As for pricing (saw your vid to). Most magicians in The Netherlands cost between 50 - 200 euro's for close up restaurant gigs. and between 200-500 for receptions etc.

My ideal pricing would be
50-100 euro's for restaurant gigs (of 2-3 hours)
200 euro's for reception (also of about 2-3 hours)
weddings and such absolutely no idea what to charge (i guess around 100-150).

My image/style is classy and open. With a taste of humor. I really bring in the spectators. Do a lot of close up work, and blabber away about anything. My pace is fairly slow, I make sure everyone (at least most people) can enjoy. I'm definitely not a children's performer. I'm really open about the fact that its magic, its entertainment. Its my gift to you. I explain little tiny bits (with a bit of misdirection) to give somebody a taste of what I do. but most definetly not enough to understand (even grasp) my trick.

Example: Say at some point i'm doing a AC routine. I would say something like:

''Its all about misdirection (trick is loaded and ready by this time)'' I tell you this and have you look closely at the cards (again trick is done million years ago). And then I move this ashtray. You spotted that? you see thats misdirection. Because in that motion the card sprang out of the middle of the pack made a 360' in the air and landed perfectly on the top of the deck. Dont believe me? check it out yourself.'' (something like that, really depends on the audience.)

--

Back to the video,

What other places can you recommend me going to? Maybe offer someone a free show?

Again thanks for the advice!

Kindest regards,

Daniel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:53 pm 
born to perform.

If you want corporate events then I suggest you make a video just for that. You can then send that one video to other clients for weddings, etc. The reason is because corporate gigs are higher up than weddings, etc so if you can perform for companies then of course you can do weddings (that is what people will think). But if you have a demo of you only doing restaurant magic then they will question whether or not you can do a corporate gig. So just make one video and make it look like you were hired for a corporate event.

There is nothing illegal about performing for strangers. You have to get out of the mentality of "asking for permission." Instead, you have to get into the mentalist of "asking for forgiveness rather than asking for permission." If you ask for permission to walk into someone's event then they will say no. But if you walk in, start performing (get footage) and then someone tells you to leave...then you can say "I'm sorry." And by that time you have already gotten what you needed. But if you want to worry about legal issues then you would have to ask a lawyer. I'm only telling you what I did to build my business.

You can do several markets but you have to market to each of them differently. If you have a video of you performing at weddings with a voice over saying that you perform for wedding across the country and make the wedding more memorable with interesting photos then it will appeal to them a lot more than just saying that you do magic.

For now, you don't want to get tied up in the preparation because you have to start booking gigs. So start at the top with a corporate event and people will assume you can do other events. Make a corporate video.

If you have to, offer a free show (but only one and let them know why it is free). Talk to your local Chamber of Commerce and they will take you up on your offer for a free show.

btw....there is no reason to make a restaurant magic video because the General Manager will not look at it. He doesn't have time and it is VERY low priority for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:33 pm 
Penguin

Alright will do! Thanks Benji!

Even if you get send away whats the big deal huh :-).

Is it legal to say you had all those gigs? I mean implying I have had all those gigs should be fine. But actually saying that I done gigs all over The Netherlands... not sure :S. (good marketing though!)

Again thank you very much Benji! Guess all there is left for me to do is to get up and do it! :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:44 pm 
born to perform.

Well you don't need to say you have performed all across the country but don't tell people that you're struggling :)

But lets say you have performed for 6 companies. You can say...."Daniel has performed for Company 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and more" (not listing the 6th company. So now you are telling the truth but you are implying that you have performed for tons more

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:43 am 
born to perform.

daniellange wrote:
I'm 17 years old now and I need to find a job (quoting my parents here :P). Instead of working a 5 euro per hour job in the local grocerry store

- Daniel Langeveld

From The Netherlands
Amsterdam

Wow, €5/hr?

My babysitter gets €10/hr.
(darn expensive German babysitters. I need to find me a Dutch babysitter)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 am 
Penguin

[/quote]Wow, €5/hr?

My babysitter gets €10/hr.
(darn expensive German babysitters. I need to find me a Dutch babysitter)[/quote]

Yep, babysitting is between 5-6 euro's. Its really bad over here :S.

Ohh btw, got my first two gigs! :D. Gona do the reception for this years school gala. And doing a coorperate presentation (the 30 minutes before it starts) :-). Absolutely thrilled.

Daniel
Amsterdam,
The Netherlands

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:02 am 
born to perform.

Leason to benji11 he would know.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:31 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks Aces

And Dan, now that you have the gigs you need to get as much out of them as possible.

-Film your entire performance
-Get TONS of video testimonials (ask everyone you perform for)
-Send a press release to newspapers saying ("Student Illusionist performs for school gala")
-Tell people you perform for that if they know of anyone who needs a magician then they should call you

And now you will have lots of footage for a demo, might get in the papers, and have better chances of getting more gigs.