View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Marlo tilt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:48 am 
Penguin

Marlo tilt - False slotting of a card from the back of the deck which looks like you place it in the middle, but you are actually slotting it somewhere near the top.

Thanks akirafist for telling me the name of this sleight.

When doing this sleight, what should be the position of the deck? E.g Tilting the face of the deck/tilting the shorter end of the deck towards audience. Please state clear which part is facing towards the audience. Thanks :D.

Post subject: Re: Marlo tilt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:24 am 
born to perform.

pick up tommy wonder's vision of wonder vol. 3 DVD. in his ACR routine, he goes over the marlo tilt quite nicely I feel with all his little subtleties. not to mention an awesome ACR routine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:06 am 
Penguin

soowee wrote:
pick up tommy wonder's vision of wonder vol. 3 DVD. in his ACR routine, he goes over the marlo tilt quite nicely I feel with all his little subtleties. not to mention an awesome ACR routine.

Hmm, i only want to know this sleight's subtleties and i don't find it worth for me to buy the whole dvd just for that sleight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:21 am 

tilt the deck slightly upwards, and slightly to the right, so all the angles (except your angle) are covered, and they can still see the card being placed into the deck.
Add pressure on the card being places into the deck so it bends slightly upwards as it's being placed in the "deck" to add to the illusion.
Also remember not to place emphasis of the card going in the "middle." You're simply putting the card somewhere in the pack and not further attention should be given to it, act casual.

As for the Tommy Wonder DVDs... it is strange how his routines aren't very practical at all for impromptu and hobbyist performances, yet you still learn very valuable tips in between.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:28 am 
born to perform.

JaredGill wrote:
As for the Tommy Wonder DVDs... it is strange how his routines aren't very practical at all for impromptu and hobbyist performances, yet you still learn very valuable tips in between.

very true. some of his effects are totally awesome, but to construct them, or perform them requires a crazy amount of time and dedication. his watch to sealed box is absolutely amazing, but the detail the guy goes into is unreal. BUT, the theory, psychology that he offers is second to none. learnt lots. (it will take me many many years to perform his C&B routine!!)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:14 am 
Penguin

JaredGill wrote:
tilt the deck slightly upwards, and slightly to the right, so all the angles (except your angle) are covered, and they can still see the card being placed into the deck.
Add pressure on the card being places into the deck so it bends slightly upwards as it's being placed in the "deck" to add to the illusion.
Also remember not to place emphasis of the card going in the "middle." You're simply putting the card somewhere in the pack and not further attention should be given to it, act casual.

Thanks for your comment.
Tilting the deck slightly upwards is the front of the deck tilting up or the back of the deck tilting up.
Adding pressure to the slotted card is pushing it down/up?

Thanks for your help :) this is an important sleight in one of my routine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:07 am 

soowee wrote:
very true. some of his effects are totally awesome, but to construct them, or perform them requires a crazy amount of time and dedication. his watch to sealed box is absolutely amazing, but the detail the guy goes into is unreal. BUT, the theory, psychology that he offers is second to none. learnt lots. (it will take me many many years to perform his C&B routine!!)

Indeed. You gain lots in the performance and psychology department even though you'll probably never use most of the effects.
Just from the method behind the vanishing bird cage, you can tell the guy was clearly very dedicated to his work. He'd do anything just to create the impossible and the magic for the specs.

ThatsMagical wrote:
Thanks for your comment.
Tilting the deck slightly upwards is the front of the deck tilting up or the back of the deck tilting up.
Adding pressure to the slotted card is pushing it down/up?

Thanks for your help :) this is an important sleight in one of my routine.

The front of the deck tilting up, but not too much, you don't wanna make it look unnatural as if you have something to hide. It should look as if you're just casually taking a card and placing it somewhere in the deck.

As for the slotted card, you push it downwards with your thumb. It adds to the illusion that it's going further down than it really is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:58 am 
Penguin

[quote="JaredGill"
The front of the deck tilting up, but not too much, you don't wanna make it look unnatural as if you have something to hide. It should look as if you're just casually taking a card and placing it somewhere in the deck.

As for the slotted card, you push it downwards with your thumb. It adds to the illusion that it's going further down than it really is.[/quote]

Thanks dude :).
Yea, tilting it up too much will block the vision of the card going in too.
Wads the reason for tilting to the right? Wouldn't they see the break of ur pinky/ring finger?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:30 am 

No prob :)

ThatsMagical wrote:
Wads the reason for tilting to the right? Wouldn't they see the break of ur pinky/ring finger?

You tilt the deck to the right, not your body angle. People viewing from your right are able to see your pinky break, unless you tilt the deck slightly to the right, so the right edges of the deck are hidden and so is the break.
If you have no audience to your right don't worry about it much, although even just slightly tilting the deck to the right adds to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:06 pm 
Penguin

JaredGill wrote:
No prob :)

ThatsMagical wrote:

You tilt the deck to the right, not your body angle. People viewing from your right are able to see your pinky break, unless you tilt the deck slightly to the right, so the right edges of the deck are hidden and so is the break.
If you have no audience to your right don't worry about it much, although even just slightly tilting the deck to the right adds to it.

Haha alright. so it is tilting the deck to the right(the right of the front of the card)?

And pushing the end of the card down while slotting it will block the vision of the card entering the deck, though they know you are slottting the card. isit suppose to be like this?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm 
Penguin

Might i also suggest that when you attempt to slide the card in, push a few cards out from the REAL center of the deck, slide it in a tiny bit make it look like you had trouble getting it in the first time and then slide it in again actually doing the move. Like so...

p.s.
Hope that picture worked, please excuse the brief glimpse of my PJ's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:43 am 
Penguin

haha alright. I guessed i got what it mean by adding pressure. Is make the card to have a "U" shape. the curve is the same as the bluff pass. Tilting the deck is tilting to show the top of the deck?