View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Busking... Where to start?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:42 pm 

As far as height of table, like Don said, work that out, I am 5'4" so I won't even try to help there. Look at Gazzo's cups & balls or Bobby Mavericks and you will see why sponge balls just don't look good. They even have a hat load, Gazzo uses a melon and Bobby uses a rutabaga and the audience just stares in total amazement for a few seconds before bursting in applause. Then they tip the crap out of the buskers. I have worked with both and have personally seen Gazzo do a $300 show. One show and then he started up a second show. The best I saw Bobby do was $200 for one show, but different areas of the country was the only reason for the $100 difference

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
As far as height of table, like Don said, work that out, I am 5'4" so I won't even try to help there. Look at Gazzo's cups & balls or Bobby Mavericks and you will see why sponge balls just don't look good. They even have a hat load, Gazzo uses a melon and Bobby uses a rutabaga and the audience just stares in total amazement for a few seconds before bursting in applause. Then they tip the crap out of the buskers. I have worked with both and have personally seen Gazzo do a $300 show. One show and then he started up a second show. The best I saw Bobby do was $200 for one show, but different areas of the country was the only reason for the $100 difference

Okay, so how tall is your table in comparison to you? is it like at waist level? Thanks for the extra info. Uh, paddy, what card trick would you recommend performing? Also, is juggling a good idea for getting attention?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 pm 
Penguin

Here is a clip from my "building a tip" DVD.As you can see from the clip it does work and much better than juggling.You can get a copy at school for scroundles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DonDriver1# ... QxeKDPu3DI

Don

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 am 

Don's bally WORKS!! I have used it for years and draw as big crowds as Bobby Maverick. Got to admit Bobby makes more money than I do, his show is GREAT, mine is OK. But Don's bally is worth the money.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:35 pm 

sumobear08 wrote:
Okay, so how tall is your table in comparison to you? is it like at waist level?

I go for a table height where I can comfortably place my palms flat on the table. That way, if I'm doing Cups and Balls my forearm is nearly parallel with the table surface when I'm handling the props. Any higher and I risk people seeing under the cups. Any lower and my back aches.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:41 pm 
Penguin

Okay, thanks so much for the information. I am going to be getting/making a table that is about waist level, and around 3 ft. high.
What in the world is a bally? Sorry if that is a stupid question. I watched the video and can't figure out what it is??? I will definitely be interested in checking it out if I can figure out what it is :)
Also, where are some good places to start performing? For obvious reasons, probably not the mall right? So where? I am guessing festivals, parks, parades, and bus stations and stuff right? Anywhere that is busy enough to draw a big crowd?
I live in Canada, so where are some good places to perform during the winter?
I am still wanting to bring sponge balls out of the cups. I am performing Carl Andrew's "Table Hopping Cups and Balls", and on his DVD he says that the audience is not as concerned about whether the objects that come out of the cups are solid, but that they are different than before. Is that true, or am I gonna be getting criticized for using sponge balls?
One last question. Is it okay to ask for volunteers while busking?
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 pm 
Penguin

A "bally" is a B.S. speal you say to stop people.

You can perform anyplace people are walking as long as you aren't on private property (or on private property with permission) and aren't breaking any local laws in a plubic place.

"Is it okay to ask for volunteers while busking?" YES ( as long as she gives you her phone number for a date later)

"I am performing Carl Andrew's "Table Hopping Cups and Balls", and on his DVD he says that the audience is not as concerned about whether the objects that come out of the cups are solid, but that they are different than before. Is that true, or am I gonna be getting criticized for using sponge balls?" I already told you what I think so do as you wish. I have no clue what your audience is going to think...but first you have to get an audience don't you.

Don

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:25 pm 
Penguin

Thanks Don, I will look into getting your DVD.

Oh, and I will for sure get my assistants number =P

You are so right. I do need to get out there and start performing for myself. the only thing is I am out of town for a few weeks so I am researching everything out so I know exactly what I am doing.

Thanks again for all the information.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:42 am 
Penguin

Know your local laws!!! I learned from others mistakes on this. Here if you have a table you have to have a sidewalk equipment placement permit and if enough people stop that it makes people walk around into the streets then you have to have a sidewalk closer permit. Then if you take money you have to have a tax id and a business licence laminated and prominently displayed on your table. There have been people actually locked up for not having these things in order.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:58 am 

tonyslade wrote:
Know your local laws!!! I learned from others mistakes on this. Here if you have a table you have to have a sidewalk equipment placement permit and if enough people stop that it makes people walk around into the streets then you have to have a sidewalk closer permit. Then if you take money you have to have a tax id and a business licence laminated and prominently displayed on your table. There have been people actually locked up for not having these things in order.

I don't know where you are but in every place I have been the worst that will happen is the cop will tell you to stop. As long as you say "sorry I didn't know" and STOP you'll be fine. Usually by the time they stop me I have already made money.