View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Idea for handing out business cards.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:04 pm 
Penguin

I once heard about Derren Brown performing a magic square and fool every magician in the room.
I was thinking about performing the magic square and have alot of audience interaction and so on, eventually solve the puzzle and thereafter tell them the secret to the solution of the square.
So I was thinking about printing the magic square on the back on my business card with the numbers you have to remember. So they'll maybe keep the card a bit longer?

What do you think? good or bad idea?

Keep in mind I haven't actually done any of this yet, cause I'm currently scripting my first mentalism act. But wanted to know you guys thoughts about handing out small secrets to the audience?

Nick

Post subject: Re: Idea for handing out business cards.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:55 pm 
born to perform.

Well first....Derren Brown never did a magic square that fooled magicians :). He only did a great presentation of the square.

People who plan on hiring you will keep your card not because there is a trick on the back but because you're a good performer and that is what they want at their event.

Magicians who like to do tricks with their business cards and things along those lines are not paying attention to a major rule of marketing..."enter into the conversation they are having with themselves." This rule means you have to think like they are thinking.

Clients are not saying "Wow, since he taught me how to do a trick I will keep his card longer. I've always wanted to learn a trick." What they are saying is "Wow this guy is good. Maybe we should have him at our banquet in a couple of months. I'm going to give Amy (the decision maker) his card."

If you give people something for free then it has to be of value to them. Teaching them a trick has little to no value because most people don't want to learn it; even when they say they do. Test it out....do the two card monte (like David Blaine) and when they ask you how it's done, tell them. And watch their excitement deflate. When you give people value, the excitement should increase.

So don't put a trick on the back of your business card or even do a trick with the card. People keep your card because when they saw you perform, they were thinking about hiring you. If they are not thinking about hiring you then a trick will no make a difference.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:38 pm 
Penguin

You have some good points that I didn't really consider.
But what about the thing about just explaining that one trick after you've done it? I mean if you have a really good act with some good effects, wouldn't it be nice for the audience to be let just a little bit into the "magic world"? even though it's purely mathematics involved?

Nick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:32 am 
born to perform.

There isn't a reason to explain a trick because they don't want to know. And even if they did...it wouldn't help you book gigs.

To book gigs, you have to be relevant to their desires. Relevant means that if they are having a Christmas Party then you need to tell them how interactive your show is and how different it will be. But they say, "We are having a Christmas party" and you say, "ok let me teach you this trick" then it won't make any difference.

You have to give them value but you have to give them the right kind of value. If you teach them a magic trick to try to book a gig then it is similar to teaching a basketball player how to perfect his golf swing. He would much rather you tell him how to perfect his free throw shot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:01 pm 
Penguin

The reason I would explain the trick would have nothing to do with getting gigs at all. The real reason is that I've seen different magic shows, Penn & teller at the Rio etc. Where they give the audience some sort of comfort by letting the spectators in on the secret stuff, weather it's true or not, but I tend to think that if a magician makes the one impossible trick after another the spectator looses interest, and then you'll probably say that it's my job to entertain them, of in which I entirely agree and know.
I just feel that sometimes giving away just a little secret can make other things seem stronger?

The giving away of a secret would therefore not be used as a "cheap" way to get gigs, but instead hopefully enhance the entire Act or show, and therefore get more gigs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:01 pm 
born to perform.

Then you should teach them torn and restored napkin with the kicker ending.

Zambini

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:10 pm 
born to perform.

Penn & Teller don't really reveal what they're doing. They usually have a "sucker effect" type of feeling and even when they do reveal everything like the Cups & Balls, they do it sooooo quick that you can't follow along. They are creating an experience, not revealing a trick.

I don't think anyone can do what they do. It would almost be like copying Harry Anderson by insulting the crowd. Most people love when he insults them but if other people try it then they will be hated.