View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Death
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:56 pm 
born to perform.

Today, my neighbor died suddenly of a heart attack. Although not too close to him, I just found it weird that yesterday I talked to him, today that's impossible. This is really my first experience with death at an age that I can comprehend what the severity of the situation is, and I have to say how weird I find it. He lived with his brother at a similar age that he was (mid 60's) and their parents who are in their late 80s early 90s. Not anything you probably care about, I just think that it's weird seeing someone occasionally from the age of 5 then, not.

Post subject: Re: Death
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:28 pm 
Emperor Penguin

How old are you?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:33 pm 
born to perform.

young enough not to disclose an actual age :D mid-teenage years

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:40 am 

This is something that most of us go thru. Seeing people we know, or our best friends, die. It's really a female dog when they are in "perfect health" (or at least they look that way) and then just drop dead. Tiggerkim, I wish I could say it gets easier but it never does. I still walk around in shock when someone I know passes suddenly. What you are going thru is normal. At my age when a friend dies, after the shock I realize I could be next.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 am 
born to perform.

I'm just glad if this happened to me this late in life, that it wasn't someone too close like a family member. My dad's actually died a number of times due to a few heart attacks on a number of occasions then been defibrillated back to life, but I was really too young to get it at that point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:27 am 
born to perform.

TheEmperorPenguin wrote:
hahaha yes paddy we all are very aware you could be next. please dont make jokes on such a morbid topic. when people die its best to assume they are in a better place. celebrate their life dont mourn their death.

I don't think he was making a joke. And your post could seem very offensive to some given that you suggested he did.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:16 pm 
born to perform.

tiggerkim wrote:
I'm just glad if this happened to me this late in life

Teenagers: The new senior citizens.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:21 pm 
born to perform.

most Most people I have heard of have had some experience with death after the age of 7 and before my age, I never really had a "I knew this person well, now he's dead" type thing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm 
Penguin

DEATH ..hmmm at 67 and 3 heart attacts already under my belt its not something I dwell on,but I sure don't buy green bananas anymore...

And being a member of the Americian Atheist its no big thing.I'm all signed up to head off to the body farm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_farm
Don

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:16 pm 
born to perform.

DonDriver wrote:
DEATH ..hmmm at 67 and 3 heart attacts already under my belt its not something I dwell on,but I sure don't buy green bananas anymore...

And being a member of the Americian Atheist its no big thing.I'm all signed up to head off to the body farm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_farm
Don

this being a completely speculative question, but as an atheist, do you fear death or life ending to any degree?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:43 pm 
Penguin

No more or no less than anybody else.I would like to put it off for as long as possible.I don't understand why christians fear death with all this heaven and utopia talk they all seem to believe in.

I like that old line "here lies an atheist...all dressed up and no place to go" hahaha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:49 pm 
born to perform.

DonDriver wrote:
No more or no less than anybody else.I would like to put it off for as long as possible.I don't understand why christians fear death with all this heaven and utopia talk they all seem to believe in.

I like that old line "here lies an atheist...all dressed up and no place to go" hahaha

here's another hypocrisy I look at in the Catholic church (although not an atheist). Some people, including Christians, choose to be cremated. So you spend your entire life trying to avoid burning in edited, but then your body is put in a giant fiery oven. Seems kind of fishy to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:59 pm 
Penguin

Penn Jillette sums up my feelings on the matter here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP9JWdJs55Q

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:52 am 
born to perform.

As you atheists are all on the same team, let me let you in on something being a Christian, something you do not know about us. We do not fear death, however, most of us do not want to force it to come any quicker than any other person, Christian or not.

And as for the cremation thing, that's their body being burnt, not our soul. Even if you don't believe what we believe, at least understand the difference so at least it makes sense (even if you don't believe). Body is Earthly, soul is spiritual. Make sense?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:01 pm 
born to perform.

I can see this going well.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next