View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Review of TelekiNefesch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:40 pm 
Team Penguin

If you are confused by the title of this post, I totally understand. TelekiNefesch sounds more like a Poke'mon than it does a hardcore mentalism book, but regardless of the odd sounding title, it is the latter.

It was a book I had on my wishlist since it came out. The effects inside ALL sounded great, but there were NO reviews online. Even searching it on google was REALLY difficult (as it thought for SURE that I wanted to search for Telekinesis). No reviews, a not very helpful description... And a pretty steep price tag.

Well, I decided regardless to go for it. I figured I should, at least once in my life, pick up something BEFORE everyone else... So, without further ado, the VERY first review (that I know of) for the book TelekiNefesch by Nefesch.

What PenguinMagic Says About TelekiNefesch:

Quote:
Imagine a book filled with HUNDREDS of pages talking about the method, script, psychology and thinking behind some amazing routines.

A borrowed crushed water bottle which contains an unseen word that has been written by a spectator VISIBLY uncrushes itself, and the spectators breaths their thoughts into the bottle and the performer inhales those thoughts and reads their mind!

A spectator tries to crush an aluminum can with strength by pressing on the ends of the can (Nearly impossible if you ever tried) and it proves futile. The performer without touching the can or the spectator's hands, concentrates and causes the can to begin to crush in the spectator's hands. The feel and hear the can moving and twisting all the way!

During a mind reading routine, a pen that the spectators has held and used to write with, and which became a mental link between performer and spectator is shown to have exploded inside the clear barrel do to an overload of thought! In the meanwhile, the performer reads the spectator's mind regarding a symbol and a word! A triple effect with a visual kick!

Another bottle effect where the bottle visibly crushes itself and restores itself as well!

A metal bending effect where a paper clip bends and unfolds itself and THEN bends into the shape of a spectator's thought!

A wad of cotton (Theoretically borrowed) reveals the initial a spectator is thinking of!

A serial number reading effect where the performer is able to divine the number on a borrowed folded bill, and then cause the bill to unfold by itself.

As you can see, the whole concept of this book is VISUAL mentalism. Because of this, there is a lot of good mentalism theory in this book along with some KILLER methods for great effects.

Nefesch's Philosophy:

Nefesch has a somewhat... different philosophy on mentalism. First off, Nefesch does not care about how impractical or illogical a method is; he cares solely about the end effect and what the spectator sees. This becomes a benefit for some effects and a downfall to others.

The second part of his philosophy on mentalism is that every mentalism piece can be improved by adding a visual element to it. When you are divining a name, how about having the crushed up bottle that holds the name visibly un-crush as you reveal it? This allows for some VERY visual effects that you may or may not like.

Presentations:

For this review, I feel it is VERY important to mention that Nefesch spends a LOT of time in the book talking about presentation. Although there are only 7 effects in this $60 book, each one has about 20 or so pages written about it. The presentations are ALL very well thought out and contain ENDLESS subtleties that are heavily explained LINE BY LINE.

If you are into learning how to script mentalism and tie in other things (like hypnosis or psychology) than this will be a book that will definitely interest you. If you are solely into methods, while containing some very good and original ones, this book will probably not be what you are looking for.

Effects:

CRUSHED:

This effect is AWESOME. You borrow an empty soda can from a spectator (this effect is impromptu) and have them try to crush it. Being unable to do so, you offer the suggestion of trying to do it mentally instead of physically. In THEIR hands, their can begins to crush and afterwards can be given away to any of the spectators.

This is a GREAT thing to have for a show when you maybe "lost your props" on a plane, or for a show where the crowd that they said would be 30 people ends up being 300. It plays HUGE (and has a HUGE auditory deception aspect to it as well with the can crushing) and leaves them with a great souvenir of their own mental ability. Not to mention, it is COMPLETELY impromptu.

I should also mention that for this trick, Nefesch offers a GREAT suggestion of how to make it look like you are hypnotizing the spectator into a "locked arm test" without having to do any hypnosis at all. Great method, GREAT routing and something I think I will definitely start playing with.

LIQUID:

This effect has the spectator hold on to a pen after writing down the name of something or someone. The mentalist, after some hypnosis, tells the spectator what they are thinking of and shows that a LOT of energy was transferred (as when the spectator opens their hand, the inside of the pen has exploded with ink).

I am not a HUGE fan of the effect here. I think it is cluttered and not direct enough to play well for a modern audience. That said, this does teach a nice peek, some cool hypnosis ideas and a neat method for exploding a pen in performance. Great for the ideas behind it, not great for the trick itself.

BREATHING:

This has to be my second favourite effect from this book. It's VERY practical and the way it is routined is awesome. Basically, in this effect, you borrow a spectators empty water bottle (or soda bottle) and have them crush it and put the cap on so that the bottle stays crushed. You have them also write down a name, fold it up and stick it in the crushed bottle before capping. VISUALLY, in their hands, the bottle starts to restore itself as you reveal the name piece by piece.

I love the method; very practical. It is not impromptu, but if you carry around the gimmick for this in your pocket, you can always go right into this. It is easy, angle-proof and VERY practical. Smart thinking from Nefesch.

BREATHING REVERSED:

This is an... interesting effect. VERY situational. The idea behind this one is that you take a plastic bottle and it VISUALLY crushes itself. It's a neat looking effect and INCREDIBLY easy to do, but as far as methodology...

...it is a pretty standard method for doing so. More practical than some others on the market, but still something that you wouldn't want to do outside of a workplace, cafeteria or a house party. NOT for gigs or street magic for sure. A good effect WHEN the conditions are right.

UNCLIPPED:

Okay, so I have interesting feelings about this one. I LOVE the effect and the idea behind it; very realistic and well thought out. Probably THE most direct display of mind-reading that you could do (if I were a real magician, this is how I would reveal a thought of name). Basically, you hold out a paperclip (or two) and visually, it starts to bend into letters that make up the name or word your spectator is thinking of.

The method for this one is very practical (a small gimmick and then you can use virtually any paperclip) and it has been well thought out (certain letters that are easier to do are thought of more, etc.). However, it WILL take a LOT of practice to get this one down.

COTTON:

This one is kinda cool, but I don't see a whole lot of justification. You pull out a piece of cotton, place it in the spectators hands, and after having the spectator think of a letter, when they open their hands, the cotton is in the shape of that letter.

It looks very cool, and the method is very sound... I just have a problem with the justification for this one. Why in the world are you carrying around cotton, and if you were a REAL magician, why would you be using it to channel your powers? Doesn't make sense to me, but that could JUST be me.

RIZZLA:

I like this one a LOT.

The spectator pulls out a bill and folds it up (without the magician seeing it). The bill is laid casually in the magicians hand (folded up) and the magician is able to divine the serial number of THEIR bill. While the magician is divining the serial number, the bill visually starts to unfold itself on the magicians palm.

This is a great method for achieving a very sound effect. There is very little script provided for this one (unlike the others), but it teaches a GREAT way of getting a serial number and also a great "impromptu" method for doing an unfolding bill effect. Very clean, you can walk up to anyone and instantly go into this (which I like).

PRICE:

The price for this one is fairly steep; however, as common with mentalism books, it includes a LOT of philosophy for the price. $63.75 for a book with 7 tricks in it is a little more than I would have liked to pay for this one, but it is still a very sound book.

SHOULD YOU BUY THIS?

That is a tough question. I think if you like mentalism and want to add some very original, sound material to your library, then you definitely should. I think if you are looking for some great trick to go and freak out your friends with, I think you should look elsewhere. This is a book that will work very well for those who like very VISUAL magic and very powerful, intense mentalism.

I recommend it for the methods and philosophy; if the tricks seem at all interesting to you, you will probably love this book.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S12080

Post subject: Re: Review of TelekiNefesch
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:50 pm 
born to perform.

Awesome review, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 pm 
Team Penguin

Thanks Akira!

Oh, and I should mention that the book is a limited release; there are only 500 that will ever be made. I got number 104, but I don't assume they are in order.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:44 pm 
born to perform.

Great Review...sounds like some really interesting stuff in there. Thanks....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:45 pm 
Team Penguin

Haha, thanks Eostresh!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:38 pm 
Team Penguin

It be on da' blog now! http://blog.penguinmagic.com/telekinefe ... gic-review

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:52 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the in-depth review Chris! :D