View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Death
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 pm 
Penguin

I had a friend of mine die a couple of weeks ago.
She was very ill so i remember a few months ago sitting with her and really listening to what she had to say because I knew that when i left her that time, it would be the last time. I just wanted her to know that somebody appreciated her and not everybody just saw her as her illness.

So, i was fortunate enough to have been able to 'brace myself' for her death. I have nothing i wish i said to her because i said it all already.

I like the quote that says something like
"Death, the most feared of all evils is therefore of no concern to us, for while we exist, death is not present and when death is present, we no longer exist."

I used to be a Christian but lost my faith when i was about 20.
As an atheist I accept that when I die, my body will just go back to being a part of the universe. I think we all come from 'star stuff' and we will all be back there at some point :)

I do not fear death but i do fear not living while I am here.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:48 pm 
born to perform.

Okay, this [Edited] is too odd for me to have made up. Yesterday, I found out he was not declared dead yet, just brain dead and completely unresponsive. His family went to pull the plug, and found that he was able to open his eyes! There is little to no chance he will live an unassisted life without serious brain damage, let alone live at all, but going from no pulse at all, to brain dead, to semi-responsive is amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:23 pm 
born to perform.

KrisDeagle wrote:
As you atheists are all on the same team, let me let you in on something being a Christian, something you do not know about us. We do not fear death, however, most of us do not want to force it to come any quicker than any other person, Christian or not.

And as for the cremation thing, that's their body being burnt, not our soul. Even if you don't believe what we believe, at least understand the difference so at least it makes sense (even if you don't believe). Body is Earthly, soul is spiritual. Make sense?

Settle down there Kris. I am a Christian too. It's meant to be a joke. I think it's funny.

Incognito wrote:
I used to be a Christian but lost my faith when i was about 20

I'm sorry to hear that.

As for the fear part... I'm not afraid of dying. I know where I'm going; however, that doesn't mean I want to die right now. There are still a lot of things I've gotta do on Earth first :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:25 pm 
born to perform.

KrisDeagle wrote:
And as for the cremation thing, that's their body being burnt, not our soul.

By soul you mean Spirit. Two very different things :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:34 pm 
Penguin

harrybob10 wrote:
I can see this going well.

You called this one right...lol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:43 pm 

Don, did you notice taht the religious ones seem to be the young. When you get our age and have stared death in the face as often as we have you tend to be more pragmatic about any life after we turn into a bunch of fertilizer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:50 pm 
born to perform.

I'm young and not religious at all. I hate organized religion and think it leads to nothing but corruption. I prefer agnosticism or the "No [edited] clue and couldn't care either" approach. Maybe I'm the exception, just my input.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:08 pm 
born to perform.

Who says I'm young?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 pm 
born to perform.

tiggerkim wrote:
I hate organized religion

Me too

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:34 pm 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Don, did you notice taht the religious ones seem to be the young.

*refrains from making a Santa Clause or Easter Bunny comment*

I have no problem with people believing in God as long as they don't tell me that i should believe it as well.

magicman222 wrote:

Incognito wrote:
I used to be a Christian but lost my faith when i was about 20

I'm sorry to hear that.

'Lost' may be a misleading word, i more, 'grew out of it'. So that's a good thing :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:41 am 
Penguin

A wise man once said that, to the well organized mind, death is nothing but the next great adventure.

And no, I'm not talking about religion.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:14 pm 
Penguin

TheEmperorPenguin wrote:
I am an EMT and I have seen a lot of stuff. i started in a large fortune 100 reitrment community and there many deaths of lively old people that made me sad. the old one i didnt really care about, it was their time. but the way they die can be disgusting i checked an aparment and found a woman in the bathroom on the toilet and the second thing i notice is the bathtub full of blood, and even worse what was on the all walll behind her. she was sitting on the toilet and fell over to her side into the bath tub hitting her head and leaving her at an akward angle with her waist or rear end in the air. that was the third ingedrient of pure disgust(we all know what our autotomic systems do sometimes when we die). after hitting her head most likely when dead projected fecal mater onto the wall. one wall feces in the middle a dead lady submerged in her own blood.

Why would you post all that.I don't want to know how you find dead people and I kinda think neither does anybody else.You picked that job and I thank you for that as we need EMT's but I didn't and don't care to hear gory details.

Don

(Oh when you start a new sentence you should start the first word with a capital letter.I believe I learned that in about 3 grade.)

Last edited by DonDriver on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 pm 
born to perform.

DonDriver wrote:
TheEmperorPenguin wrote:
(Oh when you start a new sentence you should start the first word with a capital letter.I believe I learned that in about 3 grade.)

About the same time I learnt how to spell the word "gory".

:P

Just kidding.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 pm 
Penguin

I looked it up and it can be spelled either way,but changed it to make you feel better.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:35 pm 
born to perform.

DonDriver wrote:
TheEmperorPenguin wrote:
I am an EMT and I have seen a lot of stuff. i started in a large fortune 100 reitrment community and there many deaths of lively old people that made me sad. the old one i didnt really care about, it was their time. but the way they die can be disgusting i checked an aparment and found a woman in the bathroom on the toilet and the second thing i notice is the bathtub full of blood, and even worse what was on the all walll behind her. she was sitting on the toilet and fell over to her side into the bath tub hitting her head and leaving her at an akward angle with her waist or rear end in the air. that was the third ingedrient of pure disgust(we all know what our autotomic systems do sometimes when we die). after hitting her head most likely when dead projected fecal mater onto the wall. one wall feces in the middle a dead lady submerged in her own blood.

Why would you post all that.I don't want to know how you find dead people and I kinda think neither does anybody else.You picked that job and I thank you for that as we need EMT's but I didn't and don't care to hear groy details.

Don

I think I learned to put spaces at the end of my sentences in first grade. No one likes grammar Nazis.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next