View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Criss Angel Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:09 pm 
Penguin

I haven't watched his show in about a year or more and for the first time I happened to watch it. When did he start using digital effects? I caught him using fake flames and using CG to levitate a sphere. I thought they were obvious because of how poorly done they were.

Post subject: Re: Criss Angel Question
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:12 pm 
Emperor Penguin

You're kidding right?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:14 pm 
Penguin

DavidTheCryptic wrote:
You're kidding right?

No I'm not. I caught it just last week. I'm not sure what the episode was called.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:20 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Just look through some of the past topics on this forum.
You kind find plenty of them discussing this very type of thing. ITs nothing new, (there have been plenty of aurguments over it) and we dont need another topic on it. Just FYI.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:23 pm 
born to perform.

He grew a massive ego at some point. Last time I was at my local magic shop, they relayed me this story:

Criss met up with Kevin James after one of Kevin's shows. Criss started talking about how he liked a particular illusion Kevin did in his show. Then he asked if he could use it for his show, but then said, before you answer, I'm going to use it anyway even if you say no.

The man thinks he can get away with anything.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:42 am 
Penguin

I kinda love this...this is the 90s relived :-)

Every single Criss Angel bashing is a reminder of what was said about David Copperfield mid-90s.

If the show MINDFREAK uses CGI or not does not matter Jack...Actors have Make-Up on...why? Because nobody wants the "Real Deal"...the real thing looks worse (that's on TV of course)

The Problem with a magic trick or a illusion is the fact that it only really impresses "being there" - notn being there and watching on a TV screen can ruin a lot...it can EVEN GIVE AWAY THE SECRET BY LOOKING IN SLOW MOTION OR HIGH DEF ZOOM IN.

To protect my secrets I would definitly use CGI and that's whats being done.

But nobody cares WHY it IS used as long as it is cool to "chop one's head off for it" :-)

How often did I have to hear about David Copperfield and camera tricks...oh my :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:40 pm 
born to perform.

Magier1976 wrote:
I kinda love this...this is the 90s relived :-)

Every single Criss Angel bashing is a reminder of what was said about David Copperfield mid-90s.

If the show MINDFREAK uses CGI or not does not matter Jack...Actors have Make-Up on...why? Because nobody wants the "Real Deal"...the real thing looks worse (that's on TV of course)

The Problem with a magic trick or a illusion is the fact that it only really impresses "being there" - notn being there and watching on a TV screen can ruin a lot...it can EVEN GIVE AWAY THE SECRET BY LOOKING IN SLOW MOTION OR HIGH DEF ZOOM IN.

To protect my secrets I would definitly use CGI and that's whats being done.

But nobody cares WHY it IS used as long as it is cool to "chop one's head off for it" :-)

How often did I have to hear about David Copperfield and camera tricks...oh my :-)

Criss, is that you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:01 pm 
born to perform.

Interesting read

http://blog.ellusionist.com/can-criss-a ... ld-school/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:41 am 
Penguin

You have to take into account some other aspects, too:

1) Would world renowned magicians like Thompson, Burton, Banachek etc. even consider showing their face let alone be creative part of something like that? They were still on-board long after the building float.

2) Would a nobody with no talent and nothing to offer even get the opportunity to get such names on-board?

Hmmmmm.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:27 pm 
Penguin

Oh...and while I'm at it...everybody was screaming "Fake" as Criss Angel did his Levitation....but after everybody saw how it was done (on Youtube or DVD) it went straight to "Gee...amazing how ingenius that is..."

I'm no Criss Angel Fan-Boy...I just love the Art of Magic and the Illusion it creates...personally I like Copperfield better because he's a better "Ringmaster"...but I give Angel the credit of bring Magic out in the streets and combining magic again with the MYSTIC it once had (before it turned into something from Broadway).

Watching Mindfreak gives me a "Sideshow" Feeling that I have long craved for in Magic...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:25 pm 
Penguin

Something i NEVER get tired of is reading horrible reviews about Believe. That never gets old. People can be very articulate and amusing when they are mad, for example:

Quote:
" I hired better magicians in the LA area to perform for my children's summer library program."

"It only took 10 minutes to HATE this show. It was awful!"

"Security also had a hard time keeping people from checking their email on their phones -- I saw someone next to me get kicked out because she kept playing Angry Birds or something. Well, I can't blame her, it was boring."

"At the end of the show, Criss tells the crowd to stand and applaud. I have never seen a show demand a standing ovation."

"Let's put it this way - I got comp tickets for this and I still want money back."

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cirque-du-solei ... -las-vegas

See, when i am bored, this makes me happy.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 pm 
Penguin

How can you get a boring show with Cirque de Soleil?

The most interesting thing is...everytime I read a review it is about how little magic is in it...personally these people wanted something else...a Siegfried and Roy Show or a David Copperfield Show...those shows are dedicated to magic and illusion...BELIEVE is not.

It is a Circus (artistical circus mind you) with a magical theme and some illusions to enlighten it...not to overwhelm it with.

It is more like Mozart's Zauberflöte ("Magical Flute") than it is a magic show...people tend to forget that...or didn't know...who cares.

I have read positive reviews (although the negative ones are more...granted) and I will see to it that I will get a first hand experience...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm 
Penguin

According to the hundreds of reviews i have read, the magic is just plain bad.

Quote:
It is a Circus (artistical circus mind you) with a magical theme and some illusions to enlighten it...not to overwhelm it with.

Then the sign should say Cirque with Criss Angel, not the other way around.

He is a magician (well..) not a creative dance consultant. The Luxor would have accepted Criss' show and people would go to it, because of his magician skills, not because he thinks he can create a ballet or poetry and a tapestry of emotion.
The show is a massive FAIL according to majority vote and when you need the majority, failure means something.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:20 am 
Penguin

Incognito wrote:
According to the hundreds of reviews i have read, the magic is just plain bad.

Then the sign should say Cirque with Criss Angel, not the other way around.

He is a magician (well..) not a creative dance consultant. The Luxor would have accepted Criss' show and people would go to it, because of his magician skills, not because he thinks he can create a ballet or poetry and a tapestry of emotion.
The show is a massive FAIL according to majority vote and when you need the majority, failure means something.

True. The advertisement concentrated on Angel and on that it failed. Regarding the Magic I heard that it was just not enough of it - I also heard that they put in 50 more Illusions.

Hmmm...when it comes on DVD I'll check into it... :-)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 am 

I live in Vegas. I talk to people on a daily basis that love his tv show and HAVE to see him live when they're here. All but one that I've talked too about it said it's nothing like the show.

They go in wanting to see MindFreak, not Copperfield, who's playing at the MGM currently, or Lance Burton, they want Criss, and it's nothing like the show.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next