View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Moderate Card Magic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:12 pm 
Penguin

Hello, I'm beginner at magic, started few months ago.
I learned and got basic moves down such as doublelift, finger break, basic flourishes(dribble, springing, shuffles, etc), forces, controls, etc.
Now I'm looking for some instructional DVDs on card magic bit beyond teaching basic moves and looking for moderate difficulty routines, tricks and sleights
My budget is about $200 but I'm going to buy Tarantula so it's $150.
Can anyone recommend?
I prefer impromtu and non-gimmick routines.
I'm thinking about Lennart Green's master file, I know nothing about Lennart Green, but the promo vid seems like it has what I need.

I already have Born to Perform Card Magic - Oz Pearlman, if anyone was going to recommend that.

Post subject: Re: Moderate Card Magic
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:17 pm 
born to perform.

First off Tarantula...at penguin is $50.00.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1931
Penguin is usually a bit cheaper than elsewhere but the manufacturers suggested retail price is $75.00. So any reputable dealer you go to shouldn't be selling it for much more than75.

More directed towards your question. Look into Aaron Fisher and Daniel Madison. Fisher has some excellent work on "Bluff Passes" and pass work in general. Madison has really explored the gambler's cop and it's many uses. Both are great skills to learn as you go from beginner to moderate card work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:39 am 
Penguin

I would agree with Eostresh and his suggestions.

With your progression from beginner to advanced, you have done all the ground work and now you need to be rewarded with some great effects which is why i shall suggest not getting Masterfile.

Lennart Green's stuff is not only (mostly) very advanced but also, i doubt many people apart from him could pull it off. Much of his technique is unique to him and fits like a glove because his personality flows with it. Most of his stuff requires a table and much of it requires being seated.
You probably will not use any of the techniques you have worked so hard on in most of his effects and will essentially go back to square one.

I was considering getting it but i know i would probably do none of it, i would be more interested in the interviews and be hoping to get an insight into how he thinks.

So reward yourself with some excellent magic and utilise your skills to their greatest level.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:08 pm 
Penguin

Thank you for your replies,
I guess Masterfile doesn't suit me right now.
I'll search more around PenguinMagic and forums to find out what I need.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:21 pm 
born to perform.

First off, I'm pretty sure he meant that he has $200 and if he buys the Tarantula (for $50) then he will have $150 left to spend on card dvds.

For card dvds: check out Matthew Dowden's Party Animal and James Brown's (yes that is his name) Professional Opportunist dvds. Let me know if you like the demos to those card dvds...

-Ari

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:40 pm 
Penguin

I suggest getting invisible thread instead. You can't do quite as much with it, but it's cheaper, and works well enough. If penguin sells it, I know Derren Brown had a book with a good floating ring routine on it; remember, it's all in the presentation.

You can use the money left over to get a PK ring, a magnetic coin, Bobo's modern coin magic, and if you can get it, Card College. (Is that on penguin? If not, get some Hugard books, and some Mark Wilson.)

I'd also suggest linking rings, a zombie ball, and thumb tips, to give your magic a little variety. (Thumb tips are important, now.)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:25 pm 
born to perform.

I agree with some of that but exnay on the thread and book with floating ring routine because he is getting the Tarantula. Let me know what you think if you look into the card dvds i suggested earlier.

-Ari

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 pm 
Penguin

afelbs wrote:
I agree with some of that but exnay on the thread and book with floating ring routine because he is getting the Tarantula. Let me know what you think if you look into the card dvds i suggested earlier.

-Ari

I suggested the invisible thread because the effects created with it are just as impressive to the layman, at a fraction the cost. The floating ring routine book was a Derren Brown, and contains many excellent tips on presentation, which is good for a beginner.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 pm 
Penguin

@afelbs
Thank you for your suggestions, they are the ones that I'm looking for and well fit for my budget
I might choose them, but unfortunately, Professional Opportunist Vol.1 is Out of Stock. :(
Thank you though.

@planeswalker
I will rethink buying tarantula few more.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:22 am 
born to perform.

No prob, I have volume one and I have at one point or another used every routine on it. Party Animal has a lot of really cool classic stuff and new stuff. It teaches moves as well. Plus Matthew Dowden is very entertaining and it shows him performing all the tricks at a bar before he teaches you the handlings.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:28 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S3831
I use this a lot more than my tarantula.

You might also check this out for your cards...though some of it is advanced.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S9858

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:20 am 
born to perform.

For my suggestion I'll throw Bill Malone on to the table. Any of his offerings will surely provide great card material. ...Perfect to learn while at the intermediate level and certainly fun to perform. If you like his performance style one can utilized his bits or make the routines your own.
Both of Bill's DVD series, One the Loose and Here I Go Again include a mix of effects in addition to cards but contain mostly card routines. The Malone Meets Marlo series contains all card effects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:48 am 
born to perform.

Ironic. I was just told today to avoid other peoples "interpretations" of Marlo. Nothing against Bill Malone but the point was to learn Marlo from Marlo.