View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Demon Kids Advice
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:39 pm 
Penguin

I've been performing for 30 years and, in that time, I've had a lot of great kids audiences and a few tough ones as well (as you do). Well, last Saturday, I had the worst group of kids I've ever had. About 10 minutes in, they decided to get up and have some food. The parents told them to sit back down. After one of the gags, they all over-reacted and decided to run from the room, leaving me and the parents alone! The show had to be paused while they all came back. And then, halfway through, three of the kids decided they would have a fight.

The parents had no control over these kids. Usually, I handle any kids that come my way, no problem. But these ones took the cake! I felt like walking out before the show was over but, of course, the parents had paid for a 30 minute show, so that's what they got.

I have to ask some of you veterans, how would you have handled these kids from heck?

Last edited by Webhed on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Demon Kids Advice
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:14 am 
born to perform.

Add a Disruptive Kid charge to your fees! j/k :wink:

Sound like you handled it with patience and sometimes that is all you can or need to do while giving Thanks that not all shows are like that. Glad to hear you survived.

I can't say exactly what I would have done as each circumstance is different but I may have begun doing effects for the adults while the kids have their "break". Obviously some time disruptions are forgiven but one can ask the host what they would like to do as your time is valuable especially if they aren't displaying that they appreciate you are there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 pm 

I can't say I had a private party but I did a show for a girl scout troop once and they were bad. I stopped the show twice when 2 of the girls walked behind me so they could see how I did the effects (I use a savant.) When they tried to get behind me a third time I told them, and everone else, to SIT DOWN! The scout mistress? or whatever they call the adults called me up 4 months later, just in time for Easter, and told me she did not like the fact that I yelled at her girls. She was obviously trying to get a free show. I explained to her that I would be glad to do a show for them again, this time the fee was $1000. Whe she stopped stammering and sputtering I then told her that her group was the most rude kids I ever performed for and I had already spread the warning to all the entertainers in the area. I think that's why she called me back is other entertainers wouldn't do a show for her.

Paddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:23 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the advice guys. I've always been reluctant to be too firm with the kids within earshot of the parents, since it's the parents who pay the fee! I think it's time to change things!

Thanks again! :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:54 pm 
Penguin

Location: learning how to unicycle...on my roof...while juggling knives...
I recently performed for a misbehaved group of kids and all I said was
"do you want to see a really really cool magic trick? how about you? you?... okay than but you all have to sit down and behave" and it worked really well,
I have only used it once so I cant tell you if it works all the time or not but it worked really well that time.

Cirkus :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm 
born to perform.

That was effective on me too when I was young. ;-) ...And it still works well today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:47 am 
born to perform.

Jeez.... All this talk makes me even more scared to perform for this age group. I have been trying to say to myself to get into the younger age group market as there is a need in my area but I'm just not brave enough.
I'm not sure if I'm game now!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:30 pm 
Penguin

Honestly, in 30 years of performing, I've really only had two or three tough children's audience, and this one was the worst. I think, though (correct me if I'm wrong, Paddy) that the younger the performer, the tougher it will be, as they are closer in age to the kids and lack the authority of an older person.

But, performing for kids can be incredibly rewarding and a heck of a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:37 pm 

Webhed wrote:
Honestly, in 30 years of performing, I've really only had two or three tough children's audience, and this one was the worst. I think, though (correct me if I'm wrong, Paddy) that the younger the performer, the tougher it will be, as they are closer in age to the kids and lack the authority of an older person.

But, performing for kids can be incredibly rewarding and a heck of a lot of fun.

That's right about the age of the performer. I don't get to many bad kids and can usually control them but kids will test a young performer to see what they can get by with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Webhed wrote:

That's right about the age of the performer. I don't get to many bad kids and can usually control them but kids will test a young performer to see what they can get by with.

Good advice. is 30 still young? I know that looking after my own kids is draining enough, let alone controlling a group of them!! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:17 am 

Well Soowee, you can always just spray the room with nitrous oxide gas can't you. BTW I answered your PM. Go out there and get them, you'll be successful as a kid's entertainer.

Paddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:02 am 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
Well Soowee, you can always just spray the room with nitrous oxide gas can't you. BTW I answered your PM. Go out there and get them, you'll be successful as a kid's entertainer.

Paddy

Hahahahaha....yup I sure can. Thanks buddy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:00 am 
Penguin

Yelling at the kids? That's wrong in so many ways. I try to plan a show with almost no pauses, and just hit them hard with a lot of visual magic every few seconds. I don't give them time to state their ideas as to how I do it. I had my share of bad behaving children, and I am a teacher, so I know what I'm talking about. I just explain to them, that if they see how it's done they should be quiet, because the beauty of magic is keeping secrets. I sort of make them play a game with me that we are all doing the show together, and they are my "co-magicians". I just tell them in a nice and soft voice that if they make so much noise (or whatever) it's impossible to show them the coolest effects that I saved for last.

This has worked for me so far. I only had one time where I specifically told three loud boys that if they didn't quiet down I couldn't continue the show, and I would rather have them leave if they didn't like it rather than ruin it for everyone else. The three boys left, and the rest of us had a great time. Sometimes this can be the most professional thing to do.

I just teach them how to watch a magic show, instead of being annoyed with them not knowing how to behave like an audience should. (If that makes sense)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:12 pm 

That is the way it should go Tryllearne, however, in the real world that doesn't alwys work. The show I talked about was about 5 years ago and I still remember it because it was the worst experience I have had in all my years of performing (over 15 yrs.) I had stopped the show a couple of times. In the room there were a group watching the show, in another area there was a group playing (very loudly) a game of "tag" & yet a 3rd group shouting and playing another game. The lady in "charge" could not control the troop of girl scouts and the only thing that worked was to use my "Marine Corps drill instructors" voice. It worked. You are right, one should never ever yell at the kids, but there is a very rare instance when it is necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:41 pm 
Penguin

I have found that teenagers have best control over kids, as for some stupid reason kids are taught to stay away from teenagers as apparently we are "dangerous" therefore if we get a connection with the kids they will (generally) be well behaved...