View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Japan Earthquake
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:39 am 
Site Admin

Some may know that I am here in Japan for work. I am about 250 miles SW of the epicenter and it was quite the shaker as well as the aftershock, 30 minutes later. The Tsunami was more of a tide surge, we were mustered on an elevated area across the pier from the carrier and we literally watched the carrier drop almost 7ft in a matter of seconds and the water went out, then about 30 minutes later it rose up. This went on for almost 5 hrs until about 9pm or so. Working out or a permanently moored YR barge and on the ship did not feel aftershocks. But now that I am back in my hotel room have felt 2 aftershocks. I am on the 6th floor so it is a gentle swaying. I survived the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 in the Bay area now this one. There had been several smaller quakes this last week centered in the same area of Hunshon out in the ocean. Check the news, there was some devastating tsunami and earthquake damage, praying for those in the devastated areas!

Post subject: Re: Japan Earthquake
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 am 

Glad you're alright. I know a few people in that area, so I'm very curious as to how they're doing as well. The moon is about to be closer to the Earth than it's been in a while, so tide surges are going to be heavier than normal. Hopefully, everything works out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:31 pm 
Penguin

Yeah, I'm really glad you're okay.

This is just devastating.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:42 pm 
born to perform.

GLad you're ok. I have a few friends in Christchurch, New Zealand who also got hit with a pretty bad one right in the middle of the day. devastating stuff. and now Auckland, (also in new zealand), has a tsunami warning as well.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:39 am 

My nephew is presently stationed at the U.S. Air Force base near Tokyo. Fortunately, he was on vacation and in a safe area when the quake hit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:41 pm 
born to perform.

I live in Crescent City which was hit with a resulting Tsunami from the quake. I believe we have one dead and another one missing. Mostly idiots who want to watch the water go back really far so they can take some pictures.

Around here we know how to handle a Tsunami so we have a lot of people safe. Our whole harbor is wrecked though. In fact it is gone.

On a related note when the police say it is ok I am going metal detecting on the beach. The pickings are good.

My best to those in Japan,
Dylan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:01 pm 

fcchief, have they called you back to active duty to help yet? Also they just raised the rating to a 9 earthquake and say the Japan MOVED EIGHT FEET to the east! Which has changed the length of our days by 1.something micro seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:46 pm 
born to perform.

I feel so bad for everyone over there. The night it happened I was up late and once I Saw the news coverage I was up much later watching everything unfold live. I really hope that as a country Japan is able to clean this up with as little death as possible, of course with help from other counties and widespread donations.

The fact that Japan is now eight feet closer to the us absolutely blows my mind, I wonder how that will affect gps etc in Japan. Not to mention the current situation with the nuclear power plants the [edited] has really hit the fan there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 pm 
born to perform.

Chief-Glad to hear you're doing well! I send out my best wishes (and several donations) to the people of Japan in these difficult times. We can only hope that their innate perseverance and work ethic will see them through this extremely tough inevitability that is a part of living in the Pacific Rim.

I hope everyone here can take the time to do something to help, either through pledging support monetarily or even clicking a few ads so companies will donate money!

-JT