View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:39 pm 
Team Penguin

Though not as thorough as my usual reviews, it was so good that I just had to review it.

http://blog.penguinmagic.com/election-b ... mmendation

PS: If you like the review and or blog and or me, test out the new Facebook like button at the bottom of each blog post. :lol:

Thanks for reading!

Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm 
Penguin

I enjoyed the review, and the product looks good (especially at that price point) but something bugs me and I've seen it a few times now.

It bugs me to see DVDs being implied as HD. It almost seems that standards are so low that 'This wasn't filmed on a 50 dollar cellphone' is now an advertising point. The new Lennart Green Set does this. If you aren't offering it to me as an HD product then don't high-light it as a feature.

I know for most people it's a minor point, but I hope it's something that doesn't gain traction.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 am 
born to perform.

Personally i didn't think it was that good of a effect. Well its a good effect but there's so many versions out there. Dont really like the idea of carrying two decks just to do it or any "gaffs". My favorite is something that appears in 13 steps which i modified a bit and can be done with just 1 borrowed deck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am 
Team Penguin

keepitbottled wrote:
Personally i didn't think it was that good of a effect. Well its a good effect but there's so many versions out there. Dont really like the idea of carrying two decks just to do it or any "gaffs". My favorite is something that appears in 13 steps which i modified a bit and can be done with just 1 borrowed deck.

Definitely understandable; Election is good, but not my favourite effect on the DVD. As I stated in the review, I like the bonus effects even better. :)

BathTub wrote:
I enjoyed the review, and the product looks good (especially at that price point) but something bugs me and I've seen it a few times now.

It bugs me to see DVDs being implied as HD. It almost seems that standards are so low that 'This wasn't filmed on a 50 dollar cellphone' is now an advertising point. The new Lennart Green Set does this. If you aren't offering it to me as an HD product then don't high-light it as a feature.

I know for most people it's a minor point, but I hope it's something that doesn't gain traction.

I don't think so at all; I have actually had problems with DVDs in the past, being so low quality that I haven't been able to learn from them. The HD revolution is a big thing, and can be incredibly helpful in magic. It is not vital that a DVD is in HD, but I think there is no problem using it as an advertising point. Election is a SUPER high quality DVD where everything looks nice and is easy to see.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 pm 
born to perform.

I find Ross' stuff hit or miss:

Crush: miss
Steal this: hit
Conspiracy: epic miss
Rizer: epic miss with the help of B. Smith
Election: HIT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm 
Penguin

Are the spectators able to see that they have choices of cards before they put the decks behind their backs? I saw Eric do this online on the Ellen Degeneres show and he performs it that way, but in the demo it doesn't show that so I was just wondering. Also, am I gonna need some gimmicks from the magic shop to perform this?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

tiggerkim wrote:
I find Ross' stuff hit or miss:

Crush: miss
Steal this: hit
Conspiracy: epic miss
Rizer: epic miss with the help of B. Smith
Election: HIT

for me its all been miss.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:37 am 
born to perform.

McCrum wrote:
Are the spectators able to see that they have choices of cards before they put the decks behind their backs? I saw Eric do this online on the Ellen Degeneres show and he performs it that way, but in the demo it doesn't show that so I was just wondering. Also, am I gonna need some gimmicks from the magic shop to perform this?

the spectators can not choose a card until the cards are behind their backs. All you'll need are two different colored decks and one household item.