View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 4235
Location: Continuously practicing, even as I type.
Though not as thorough as my usual reviews, it was so good that I just had to review it.

http://blog.penguinmagic.com/election-b ... mmendation

PS: If you like the review and or blog and or me, test out the new Facebook like button at the bottom of each blog post. :lol:

Thanks for reading!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 24 Jul 2003
Posts: 417
Location: Wellington, NZ
I enjoyed the review, and the product looks good (especially at that price point) but something bugs me and I've seen it a few times now.

It bugs me to see DVDs being implied as HD. It almost seems that standards are so low that 'This wasn't filmed on a 50 dollar cellphone' is now an advertising point. The new Lennart Green Set does this. If you aren't offering it to me as an HD product then don't high-light it as a feature.

I know for most people it's a minor point, but I hope it's something that doesn't gain traction.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:32 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 942
Location: Western Australia
Personally i didn't think it was that good of a effect. Well its a good effect but there's so many versions out there. Dont really like the idea of carrying two decks just to do it or any "gaffs". My favorite is something that appears in 13 steps which i modified a bit and can be done with just 1 borrowed deck.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:53 am 
User avatar
Offline
Team Penguin

Joined: 03 Aug 2007
Posts: 4235
Location: Continuously practicing, even as I type.
keepitbottled wrote:
Personally i didn't think it was that good of a effect. Well its a good effect but there's so many versions out there. Dont really like the idea of carrying two decks just to do it or any "gaffs". My favorite is something that appears in 13 steps which i modified a bit and can be done with just 1 borrowed deck.


Definitely understandable; Election is good, but not my favourite effect on the DVD. As I stated in the review, I like the bonus effects even better. :)

BathTub wrote:
I enjoyed the review, and the product looks good (especially at that price point) but something bugs me and I've seen it a few times now.

It bugs me to see DVDs being implied as HD. It almost seems that standards are so low that 'This wasn't filmed on a 50 dollar cellphone' is now an advertising point. The new Lennart Green Set does this. If you aren't offering it to me as an HD product then don't high-light it as a feature.

I know for most people it's a minor point, but I hope it's something that doesn't gain traction.


I don't think so at all; I have actually had problems with DVDs in the past, being so low quality that I haven't been able to learn from them. The HD revolution is a big thing, and can be incredibly helpful in magic. It is not vital that a DVD is in HD, but I think there is no problem using it as an advertising point. Election is a SUPER high quality DVD where everything looks nice and is easy to see.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 1300
Location: New Jersey
I find Ross' stuff hit or miss:

Crush: miss
Steal this: hit
Conspiracy: epic miss
Rizer: epic miss with the help of B. Smith
Election: HIT


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 03 Aug 2006
Posts: 252
Location: Centreville, VA
Are the spectators able to see that they have choices of cards before they put the decks behind their backs? I saw Eric do this online on the Ellen Degeneres show and he performs it that way, but in the demo it doesn't show that so I was just wondering. Also, am I gonna need some gimmicks from the magic shop to perform this?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:56 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 13 Jan 2010
Posts: 942
Location: Western Australia
tiggerkim wrote:
I find Ross' stuff hit or miss:

Crush: miss
Steal this: hit
Conspiracy: epic miss
Rizer: epic miss with the help of B. Smith
Election: HIT


for me its all been miss.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Election by Eric Ross
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 1300
Location: New Jersey
McCrum wrote:
Are the spectators able to see that they have choices of cards before they put the decks behind their backs? I saw Eric do this online on the Ellen Degeneres show and he performs it that way, but in the demo it doesn't show that so I was just wondering. Also, am I gonna need some gimmicks from the magic shop to perform this?

the spectators can not choose a card until the cards are behind their backs. All you'll need are two different colored decks and one household item.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.