View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Coin Matrix
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:28 pm 

So a question for the mob. That's you. What's your favorite coin matrix handling? I'm talking with cards, whether it's two, four, or whatever, but definitely with cards. I'm looking for one to learn and the perfect one is out of financial reach right now.

Post subject: Re: Coin Matrix
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:10 pm 
Penguin

I'm really not a big fan of the matrix but Roth's "Chink-a-Chink" is cool looking - no cards though. Maybe that's why I'm fond of it, I'm not much of a card guy.

Dr. Rubenstein does some "reverse matrix" effects that look good and uses a handling that might be simpler than some for the "loads". These can be found in the NYCM Seminar dvds.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:22 pm 

Chink a Chink with coins has always looked like it is what it is to me. Shadow Coins fixed one of the major problems, but I still just don't find the overall idea very magical.

I have seen some of Rubenstein's work on the Matrix plot. I like some of his ideas. I have a few videos with him talking about his work. I may have to look back into them. Thanks for the idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:26 am 
born to perform.

I am guessing you already know this one http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=627...That being said, it is the only one i use, and it does get good results. People seem to really like it. Just my two cents. Why buy something really expensive, when the same trick, more or less, can be achieved without the need to?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:26 am 
born to perform.

Shawn Farquhar recently released this one that uses cards but it's up there in price at $50; http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=S13108

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:32 am 

It's not an issue of expense. I know the classic handling of the Matrix and have used it for years. I'm looking for something that's preferably cleaner and looks like magic. The classic handling has too many rough spots in it because you're trying to cover dirty moves or you're crossing your center line, which is a no no in theatrics.Not to mention, studying new versions of anything will only help you become a better magician.

I saw the video for MatriXpress a couple of days ago. Does anyone really think the Farquar version looks magical? His hands and sleeves are constantly laying on top of the props, shifting cards, and doing other things that look fishy. I'm sure it's a clever method, but at the very beginning you can even see a card lift up, like it's stuck to him, when he's over it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:03 am 
born to perform.

Farquhar's version is definitely not the cleanest out there. The method is very clever (its on his bread and butter lecture DVD). Im not that keen on the actual coin matrix itself, but I quite like the variation he did with the poker chips and photos. The last phase where the poker chip get stuck in the photo and he proceeds to then pop it visually out of the photo is fantastic.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:30 am 
born to perform.

definitely David Williamson's matrix, I can't remember what it's called but it looks amazing and is relatively easy (just requires a close up mat or for you to perform in a loud place)
It's a standard matrix, no backfire or anything like that but the thing is that it looks like you're not touching the coins with the cards.
It's also impromptu and uses only four coins, which is a huge advantage over other great looking matrix routines that use a shell or a fifth coin.

It's in Williamson's Wonders, and I doubt someone like you don't own that book.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:36 am 
Penguin

Just remembered, David Neighbors has some cool matrix stuff, some using an interesting "gimmick" that I played with years ago... I don't think his website is up and running any more but I periodically run across some of his stuff....."The Coinjurer" dvd, some lecture notes, a book or two.....I have the dvd and one book....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:08 pm 
born to perform.

Alright I had to shoot Williamson's matrix even though I never really perfected it because I just couldn't find it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0EQXQ2Q_XE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:07 pm 
born to perform.

C
daniel116 wrote:
Alright I had to shoot Williamson's matrix even though I never really perfected it because I just couldn't find it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0EQXQ2Q_XE

Yeah, yeah. Same old matrix.....wait. Wha- How the????

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:17 pm 

Williamson's is awesome. I remember seeing him do it for one of my friends, which was my first exposure to it. It just looks awesome. You do it really well.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:00 pm 
born to perform.

ponta the smith has some nice coin matrix

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:33 pm 

You know, I keep thinking about going back to his. He's got some interesting thinking and those were my favorite things from his DVD.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:15 pm 
born to perform.

yeagh his are great :)