View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Impressing a girl with mentalism
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:21 pm 
Penguin

We've all thought about impressing women with magic/mentalism, I just decided I really want to give it a go. Obviously the effect will have to be impromptu and although I'm more than capable of pulling out an ACR or card change in hand i'm really looking for a strong mentalism effect. I psypher and realize i could do some strong stuff with that but i wanted any input possible before finalizing a great effect for this scenario. Any input i welcome. Thanks so much!

-Kyle

Post subject: Re: Impressing a girl with mentalism
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:23 pm 
born to perform.

No... just don't.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:47 pm 
born to perform.

Mentalism routines effect the feminine species in ways that other effects do not.
Sponge balls... CUTE! Card trick... NEAT! A well performed mentalism effect... OH MY!

Just one effect though? How about a constant barrage! :wink:
One isn't enough. Go for two and then the next time you are around her do another. Repeat.

Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries is one great source.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:56 pm 
born to perform.

Read a book called The Game by Neil Strauss and look into the PUA community (pickup artists)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 pm 
born to perform.

I did osterlind's centre tear "predicting the name" on a girl once. She's now my wife. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 pm 
born to perform.

Watch Derren Brown's Enigma show, specifically the grandfather/nest of boxes piece. Possibly one of the most moving things I've seen a mentalist or magician do. Actually, THE most moving. It won't get you a date necessarily, but it would impress. Think about the theory behind this, and think about making an emotional connection with someone. It's about the story you tell or the words you say, not the effect.

Message, not method.

-JT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:46 am 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:
Read a book called The Game by Neil Strauss and look into the PUA community (pickup artists)

+1 to this.

I read 'the game' last year after Benji recommended it, and it's a brilliant eye opener. 'The mystery method' and 'the Art of Seduction' by Robert Greene are also good reads. If only to understand how attraction works.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:09 am 
born to perform.

No seriously just don't. Magic isn't a pick up line. Think about what you want to do, you want to IMPRESS someone. If that's your motivation it'll show through in whatever you do and you'll come across as someone who's basically saying "look at how clever I am." You wanna impress a girl go talk to her, be yourself, listen to her let her talk. Seriously ya know all that cliched stuff you hear all the time... there's a reason you hear it all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:32 am 
Penguin

Cold reading.
They love it. I did it a couple of times but then i realised i was an idiot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:56 pm 
Penguin

No doubt that mentalism has a strong effect on girls. I showed Psypher to a friend of mine (and even kinda messed it up) but you could just tell that she thought it was amazing. I think that when you "read a girls mind" (or so you say you do), they feel like they have just taken part in something special. It is not just getting them to hold onto a sponge ball and having it multiply in their hands (although that is a great effect). It is an unseen trick where they have their own thoughts invested in the trick (no wonder it is so special).

But to answer you question...

Psypher is great! I would use this first and foremost. Just make sure you dont have her concentrate on the writing but concentrating on what she is thinking.

Mental yarn

Emotional Intelligence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:

I'm a PUA.

I prefer Mystery Method over The Game, mainly because the game is more an entertaining story then a guide. Mystery Method is simply a guide.

-
Daniel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:34 pm 
born to perform.

Any reasonably smart girl will see right through what you're trying to do. I've heard of magicians trying to use their stuff to pick up girls and never heard of a success story. Think of it this way, if you present an effect to her, she'll think "oh, that's cool", then if you somehow work it into asking for her number, you're already done. She'll most likely be thinking "sure he's good at magic, but that doesn't make me want to date him". If you've got the looks/charm it might work, but not because of the mentalism.

I'd steer clear of this idea if I were you, but there's nothing I can say to make you not do it, your mind is set.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 pm 
born to perform.

daniellange wrote:
benji11 wrote:

I'm a PUA.

I prefer Mystery Method over The Game, mainly because the game is more an entertaining story then a guide. Mystery Method is simply a guide.

-
Daniel

I referred him to The Game to start out with and then he will naturally get into Mystery Method, etc. The Game helps people see what they're doing wrong and what is possible with PUA. So if he starts with The Game and wants to learn more then the searching will begin :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:52 pm 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:
Any reasonably smart girl will see right through what you're trying to do. I've heard of magicians trying to use their stuff to pick up girls and never heard of a success story. Think of it this way, if you present an effect to her, she'll think "oh, that's cool", then if you somehow work it into asking for her number, you're already done. She'll most likely be thinking "sure he's good at magic, but that doesn't make me want to date him". If you've got the looks/charm it might work, but not because of the mentalism.

I'd steer clear of this idea if I were you, but there's nothing I can say to make you not do it, your mind is set.

my point exactly, a girl won't like you because of magic she'll only like you if she likes you.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:59 pm 
Penguin

Yep, and with all this learning of the Mystery Method and so on, you will have to live with the fact you have to consciously manipulate women to get them to like you because you are not socially likable enough to do it without using a system.

Epic FAIL.