View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Effects with Smart/Data Phones
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:41 am 
Penguin

I am looking for effects that make use of a smart/data phone. Here are the ones I know of:

Preasure by Ammar (I figured this out by myself. Does that make me a bad magician if I use it?)
Illumination? (The effect is you see two intertwined hearts through a camera)

-ArchAngel_G

Post subject: Re: Effects with Smart/Data Phones
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:49 am 
Penguin

Perhaps if no one knows of any effects off hand you could think of a few things that are at least possible. With the way technology is growing, I think this is a field hardly taped for magical possibility that can have alot of substantive meaning to lay people (Because most people have a phone, and plenty have data phones)

A few ideas I had off hand are things like . . .
[*] a prediction in an e-mail or text? (Maybe have the prediciton be wrong, hold a lighter under the phone to make the image of the card burn up into the actual prediction)
[*]Visual effects that can be manipulated through soft camera tricks (Not like what Chris Angel or Marco Tempest does, but more like Illumination)
[*]An app similar to Barry and Stuarts "Is your friend psychic"
[*]Pulling a picture of something out of the phone, like a coin or other small object
[*]Put something small into the phone

Anyone else want to add to this brain storm?

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:59 pm 
Penguin

An app that identifies the number of the closest phone to you, and sends it a text/media message.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:40 pm 
Penguin

planeswalker321 wrote:
An app that identifies the number of the closest phone to you, and sends it a text/media message.

HAHAHA !!! Now THAT would be a god send to every single person on the planet.

"Could i have your phone number ? I will call you sometime"
"I don't think so"
"That's okay, i've already got it, cya !!!"

I will pay, $1000 for that.

I like the idea of taking something off the phone, like a visual image, or putting something back on. The Rub-a-dub card vanish would look good if the card actually ended up in the phone.
With today's modern touch screen phones, surely an app that is touch senstive wouldnt be hard.
An app where a coin disappears when the screen is touched would be a great way to produce a coin. Hiding something under the phone like a card or something, having a card on screen and slowly pulling it out.
Would make for a great colour change.

I am not smart enough to make these things but I am smart enough to annoy somebody until they make me one.... *rubs chin and strolls away*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 am 
Penguin

I may start looking into how to make these apps. The more ideas I get, the more apps I can create and share (If I can figure it out). You are right, I don't expect it to be very hard to simply have an image that will dissapear when the screen is touched.

An idea for an effect:
You take a picture with your camera of a coin either you own or someone else does (This would depend obviously on the coin. Not many people have half dollars). Secure the coin either in someone's hand or a box. You then reach into the screen to either duplicate or steal the coin from it's secure location.

Really I need more ideas than just making things move through the screen.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:08 am 
Penguin

Well i suppose it would depend on the phone, an Android phone (which i have) can have a wallpaper, which would be perfect for some kind of prediction.

I KNOW !!!!

How about an awesome 'Add a Number' mentalism effect ? They pass around your phone which has a 'calculator' looking thing and then you have a pre-programmed answer which matches your prediction.
That is the best idea i have ever had.

It could be instantly repeatable if you could have another number programmed in also.

More elaborate ideas could contain 2 phones, one is handed to a spectator and the other is in your pocket set on vibrate. The spec types in a two digit number and once this is done, it texts your other phone which vibrates the numbers one at a time which is felt on your leg.

Ummmmm.....

I will try and think of more, but i think those ideas are pretty alright. Not that i am a mentalist.

Marc.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:47 am 
born to perform.

A deck of cards appearing on the screen is spun/scrolled like one's music selection can be.
A card selection is chosen, the spinning/scrolling stops, the card turns over to show it's face.
The spec. then signs the card with a digital signature.
The performer shuffles/spins the video deck to "lose" the card and then produces a real version of the selection with the spec's signature on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:41 am 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
A deck of cards appearing on the screen is spun/scrolled like one's music selection can be.
A card selection is chosen, the spinning/scrolling stops, the card turns over to show it's face.
The spec. then signs the card with a digital signature.
The performer shuffles/spins the video deck to "lose" the card and then produces a real version of the selection with the spec's signature on it.

I love this idea, but I am honestly unaware of how signature transfers are done. I remember reading in Strong Magic an effect Darwin does where he visibly takes the signature off.

The calculator idea is interesting, but I wouldn't want to pass my phone around. But most phones have a calculator function. There are memorization feats that can take advantage of this idea as well.

I had thought of an effect where you explain your phone has an x-ray app, kinda like how the airport full body scans work (I need to research this to see if that excuse is reasonable and makes sense). You then show a box and place a coin in it. You shake the box so people hear the coin then place the phone on top of the box to show the coin. You then say some magic words, waves hands, etc and show the coin to be missing on the phone. Open the box to show it empty. (Easy enough to design a gimmick box or maybe one already exists.)

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:27 am 
Penguin

How about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jdtOdtnDLw

Render from Sean Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:50 am 
Penguin

I'll be purchasing this and giving it a review. Looks like it can work with android, which was a main stickler for me and other data phone magic thus far.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:12 am 
born to perform.

render got a bad rating on the wizard product review.

also patrick redford has a new dvd out, mentalism effects using cellphones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:33 am 
Penguin

Well in that case I will NOT be ordering this. Thanks for the heads up. Also I have seen plenty of mentalism stuff for data phones, but I don't do mentalism (With the exception of card predictions). Render was more up my ally.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:01 pm 

There's an easy one you can do with no app if you have a touch sensitive cam and a photo gallery. Take a pic of a card (on the palm of your hand, but not necessary) and put it in your photo album with a pic of all black being the next (or previous) one in the sequence.

Have the card palmed (I'll leave it up to you how it gets selected and arrives in your palm) and show the camera in the same hand covering the palmed card. Stroke your thumb across the screen as if you're "pulling" the card out of the camera and at the same time fingers go behind the cam and pull out the selected card. Since the next pic in the sequence is blank, it looks very much like you pulled the image right out of the camera!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:51 pm 
born to perform.

I thought of an effect that you could use with hypnosis (Learn from The Manchurian Approach). Basically...

1. Hypnotize somebody
2. Get their phone, record their phone number and give it back
3. "Hypno Force" them to think of a certain word
4. Bring them out of hypnosis giving them complete amnesia
5. Later on, have them think of any word and NEVER say it aloud
6. Your hidden friend then sends a text with the "freely thought-of" word to the person's phone
7. Total amazement and a totally impossible effect

Okay sure, it's not an anytime, anywhere effect, but I think it would be worth it (besides hypnotizing people is fun, so it's no big deal). Of course, perhaps the suggestions were not all laid properly and the person could possibly end up thinking of a different word, in which case you would have to have an out. That would be easy enough, just don't put any emphasis on the text until after you see their reaction. Then if you didn't hit on the word, segue into a center tear or something.

Just an idea I thought some of you may find interesting...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:46 pm 
born to perform.

theirs the wpr review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9yCgylgJJQ

also here are some apps reviewed

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159563