View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Impressing a girl with mentalism
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:59 pm 
born to perform.

k2var only mentioned about impressing women which can differ from picking up on them or getting them to like you. On the other hand, performing a magical routine might reveal that you can be interesting, mysterious, humorous, have a personality, are creative, etc. Similarly one could do the same by singing a song or telling a story. Use magic as a tool and it will work for you, use magic as a crutch and one will find out what it is like when that crutch slips out from under.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:23 am 
born to perform.

Incognito wrote:
Yep, and with all this learning of the Mystery Method and so on, you will have to live with the fact you have to consciously manipulate women to get them to like you because you are not socially likable enough to do it without using a system.

Epic FAIL.

There are tons of top entertainers that use and understand PUA. Derren Brown, John T. Sheets, Jerome Finley, and a few I won't name.

If you apply the communication strategies they use then you will increase your effectiveness tenfold.

Too many magicians don't know how to handle a group when people start talking in the middle of your trick and ignore you (so you decide to perform for the ONE person paying attention). Or like when Jason Randal got owned by David Letterman on the show because he allowed Letterman to control his performance.

I wish I could name all the magicians who use PUA in their material and when talking to people...most of you would be surprised at how many of the well known magicians understand PUA material.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:01 am 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:
Incognito wrote:
Yep, and with all this learning of the Mystery Method and so on, you will have to live with the fact you have to consciously manipulate women to get them to like you because you are not socially likable enough to do it without using a system.

Epic FAIL.

There are tons of top entertainers that use and understand PUA. Derren Brown, John T. Sheets, Jerome Finley, and a few I won't name.

If you apply the communication strategies they use then you will increase your effectiveness tenfold.

Too many magicians don't know how to handle a group when people start talking in the middle of your trick and ignore you (so you decide to perform for the ONE person paying attention). Or like when Jason Randal got owned by David Letterman on the show because he allowed Letterman to control his performance.

I wish I could name all the magicians who use PUA in their material and when talking to people...most of you would be surprised at how many of the well known magicians understand PUA material.

Errr, think you have this the wrong way around Benji.
Love to know your source on that. Or are you just looking at what they are doing, seeing similarities and saying "Aha, pua techniques" ?

Here is Derren Brown talking about some seduction methods - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtSwTBGj ... re=related

Understanding PUA methods is much different from studying PUA material. There is no reason to suspect that a person who studies the Mystery Method will have any better control over an audience than somebody who studies the techniques from which Pick up Artistry was born.

Just because somebody does something naturally that others have to study does not mean they are using a PUA technique.
Just because somebody puts in a performance technique to make something memorable, does not mean they are using PUA material simply because they share a similarity or share the same source.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:54 am 
born to perform.

The only source I have hearsay about is with Derren Brown. With others like John T. Sheets, I talk to them about the subject all the time

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:38 pm 
Penguin

thanks for all of the replies guys! it turns out that i'm actually a very personable guy and don't NEED magic to impress women lol..I just thought it'd be fun and if something good comes from it, what's wrong with that? Magic is also something extremely unique from anything any other guy might use to get a woman interested/intrigued in him. I will most definitely look into the books recommended..Thanks so much again! Just a side note, just because i posted this doesn't mean i'm going to run out find a woman and make an [edited] out of myself either, it all comes down to time, place, and atmosphere as you all know.

-Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:48 pm 
born to perform.

A friend of mine let be borrow The Game (actually told me I had to read it). It's a bunch of ways to build rapport and get people thinking about certain things. However, they make the applications to women explicit, whereas in a book like Pure Effect, Derren Brown talks about very very similar techniques with regard to magic and all audiences. I didn't really learn much from The Game, but I've studied a fair amount of Communications, Psychology, and Sociology over time.

-JT

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:21 am 
Penguin

I guess i'm not really concerned with conversing and relating to women i'm interested in within conversation. I just really wanted some ideas of effects that would generally be big hits with women..ANY effects you guys have had amazing responses with with generally women? Thanks again for ALL comments..

-Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:41 am 
Penguin

Typically a girl will like either a mentalism trick or a really fun trick. They like to be a part of the trick rather than just watching you do one. I do spongeballs for girls, and it just gets them every time! They laugh so hard and gasp when they see it jump to their hand. And like I said before... PSYPHER! That is also a great one! Just remember that interaction is a big plus.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:13 am 
Penguin

I once made a list of things i wanted to learn just for impressing women, like, a casual routine that was not presented as a routine.
This is what i had:

1: Tell the girl the meaning of her name.

I bought a book of baby names, listed all the girls i knew and one by one memorised the meaning of their names. So if i ever met a girl that had the same name as one of my friends (highly likely) i might be able to casually slide it in. Example "Nice to meet you Ann, you suit your name in that dress" and when asked "What do you mean?" i could say "Well,your name means 'grace', you look very graceful", or something like that. Always said playfully and not seductively.

2: Figure out the day of the week she was born on.
Simple but very effective. Takes me about 5 seconds to do and girls (and guys) find it really weird, interesting and amazing. Plus, she gets to find out the day of the week she was born on if she did not already know and often if her friends are there, they will want you to figure out theirs as well.

3: Learn the dates of the zodiac so after she has given me her birthday, i can tell her what starsign she is, and 2 or 3 attributes associated with that star sign according to astrology.

4: Basic palm reading.
I always did palm reading as a very "This is what your palm lines mean according to palmistry" kind of thing. I never assumed she believed in it, or stated that i believed or disbelieved in it. If she believed in it then she would be intrigued on a spiritual level, if she didn't she would be interested on an intellectual level.

And thats it.
This got very good reactions from girls and their friends because it all flowed and did not look at all like a magic routine. Then again, i suppose with the exception of the cold reading at the end, there is no real magical effects in it.

Take from that what you can.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:35 pm 
born to perform.

Can I just also add that psypher is not an effect it is a utility with which you perform an effect. One does not perform psypher in the same way one does not perform the tommy pad or the billet switch or the svengali deck. These are tools not effects unto themselves. The effect is what you do with them.

Also Derren Brown would never use magic, mentalism or anything else to pick up a girl, because he's not into girls.

oh and on the subject of girls and star signs I have only this to say

Penny: I'm a Sagittarius which probably tells you way more than you need to know...
Sheldon: Yes... it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relevant to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:14 pm 
Penguin

arkham666 wrote:
Can I just also add that psypher is not an effect it is a utility with which you perform an effect. One does not perform psypher in the same way one does not perform the tommy pad or the billet switch or the svengali deck. These are tools not effects unto themselves. The effect is what you do with them.

Also Derren Brown would never use magic, mentalism or anything else to pick up a girl, because he's not into girls.

oh and on the subject of girls and star signs I have only this to say

Penny: I'm a Sagittarius which probably tells you way more than you need to know...
Sheldon: Yes... it tells us that you participate in the mass cultural delusion that the sun's apparent position relevant to arbitrarily defined constellations at the time of your birth somehow affects your personality.

this

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:12 am 
Penguin

k2var2002 wrote:
We've all thought about impressing women with magic/mentalism, I just decided I really want to give it a go. Obviously the effect will have to be impromptu and although I'm more than capable of pulling out an ACR or card change in hand i'm really looking for a strong mentalism effect. I psypher and realize i could do some strong stuff with that but i wanted any input possible before finalizing a great effect for this scenario. Any input i welcome. Thanks so much!

-Kyle

I think you should let women be impressed for you, not what you can do. Let them get to know you for your actual personality not the character that we portray for 'lay folk'.

On the plus side good luck with your venture :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:31 am 
Penguin

Peter_turner1 wrote:
k2var2002 wrote:
We've all thought about impressing women with magic/mentalism, I just decided I really want to give it a go. Obviously the effect will have to be impromptu and although I'm more than capable of pulling out an ACR or card change in hand i'm really looking for a strong mentalism effect. I psypher and realize i could do some strong stuff with that but i wanted any input possible before finalizing a great effect for this scenario. Any input i welcome. Thanks so much!

-Kyle

I think you should let women be impressed for you, not what you can do. Let them get to know you for your actual personality not the character that we portray for 'lay folk'.

On the plus side good luck with your venture :)

Thanks for the advice! Seems like a good general rule!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 pm 
born to perform.

Part of the idea is that you are letting your personality come out through the performance and sharing the intriguing, fun, mysterious, even the humorous side of you. ...Adding spice to the routine and not just, "Hey look at this." The same goes for performances for any audience.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:45 am 
Penguin

I'm currently reading The Game, but I have an interesting take on this. Magic is magic. All sorts of people perform it. Friends can perform simple things like the paper ball trick to friends at a party. Professionals can make quite a bit of money amazing crowds/groups. And yes, even PUA's can use it to manipulate* women into liking them. (*I think this word isn't quite right. You manipulate an audience when you perform them, direct attention, etc and there's nothing wrong with it.)

I really see nothing wrong with it. So long as magic's #1 rule is maintained.

-ArchAngel_G