View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Should I?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:47 pm 
Penguin

sumobear08 wrote:
... so my question is... WHY NOT?...

I believe I already stated it quite plainly. Using your same logic, I could say that I should be able to share my windows instalation with my friends. I mean, I already own it, so why should they have to pay for it?

Because piracy is illegal and wrong. You don't own the material, you've simply purchased the right to use it. Not to mention it's a slap in the face to the authors who wrote those books who you are essentially STEALING from.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:09 pm 
born to perform.

sumobear08 wrote:
I got some PDF books which I gave him on a flash drive. I sent...

Royal Road to Card magic
Card College 1 2 3 4 and 5
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Crazy Man's Handcuffs - Michael Ammar
Now You See It Now You Dont - Bill Tarr
and a few others...

My question was, where did you get those as e-books to put them on a flash drive?
Second, lending is not a problem, but after someone has shown that they have the dedication to study it. I have loaned out some of my library to a younger student of magic, but only after he proved to me that he was dedicated by getting onto some free resources (The Learned Pig, Library Books) and learning a bit of history. If they want it, they should seek it out a bit.

Teaching being my profession in the near future, I realize that the learning of magic is very piecemeal and non-linear. In and of itself this is not a problem, but it can lead to issues when a new student is over-stimulated.

Just my opinion of course.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm 
Penguin

I see your point. I guess I should have thought of that b4 I lent it too him. Too late now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:04 pm 
Penguin

sumobear08 wrote:
To answer your guys questions and comments...

I personally dont see a problem with giving my "student" some materials that I have available! They are all great resources that teach A LOT to the beginner. It may be an overload of material, but nobody said he has to read it all in a week either. It is like a textbook. Lots of information that can be learned and studied over a long period of time!
Just because you never got stuff for free when you started magic does not mean that I cannot give my FRIEND a head start! I have the resources and he wants to learn, so my question is... WHY NOT?
Why should he spend hundreds of dollars on material that I "his friend" already own?

Thanks for your concern, but maybe explain to me a bit better why this is such a bad idea.

Have to agree with Archangel once again. Why should a magician lose hundreds of dollars so your friend can get a head start ?
Let's ask Michael Ammar if it's okay. Maybe he should decide whether he wants to just give away his material for free rather than you deciding that for him.

One question, where did you get your PDF's from ?

EDIT:
Oops, my apologies, I did not notice the second page where my questions and points have already been made by others. Oh well, my question still stands.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:32 pm 
Penguin

Have you tried looking yourself? I did. It truely was not hard to find at all. :(

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:58 pm 
Penguin

*whispers* Yes i have, i would just like an admission :)

I remember back in my day, saving up for Bobo's and waiting 2 weeks for it to arrive. I remember saving all my money so i could buy Michael Ammar's book.
I think the best thing about actually BUYING books is you are more likely to read them and study them because of the effort gone in to actually attaining them.
Ah well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 pm 
born to perform.

When I get a shiny new book, I immediately catalog it and start reading. I've read through almost all of every book I've bought, even if I don't learn all the material. I just get lost in it.

It's the journey, not the destination for me when it comes to learning magic.

For instance, I'd consider myself somewhat proficient with cards, seeing as I've focused mainly on them for about 10 years. However, buying Card College Vol. 1 recently made me go back and re-evaluate my card handling from scratch because of the lessons Giobbi teaches in the first 20 pages.

-JT

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:55 am 
born to perform.

Please share which routines he shows the most interest in and how quickly you think he is learning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:20 am 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
Please share which routines he shows the most interest in and how quickly you think he is learning.

He is doing fairly well. This week has been super busy for both me and him so I dont think he has done too much with the material I have given him so far. He told me that he has been looking through some of the books a little bit, but that is all he has said.
I ordered him some sponge balls and a stealth pen from Penguin (HE PICKED THEM OUT AND PAID FOR THEM), so I think he is excited for those as they just came in. I will probably be lending him SPONGE by Jay Noblezada and the Stealth Pen DVD with Oz Pearlman as he just bought the pen and sponges. I am excited to see where he will go with these things. They both require a bit of sleight of hand (which he has not been too interested in as of yet). Now that he has a little money involved and DVDs to learn it, I think that he will be practicing the retention vanish and the advanced handling of the Stealth pen in the mirror for hours.
I remember when I first got the Stealth pen. it was with my very first order from Penguin and I could not wait for it to get in! As soon as I got it and watched the DVD I started practicing. Oz has that personality that makes you WANT to practice it. After I had practiced it, I also could not wait to show it off!
So, he will be getting both of these items tonight.
I remember when I first started magic. I got the "Klutz Book of Magic" for either my 15th or 16th birthday. I read through that book, and learned the French Drop with a quarter, and I was set. I could not believe how deceptive it looked. Along with that were all of the TT tricks, and the Liko Pang ring and rope penetration. Haha! I learned over half the tricks in that book, and wanted more. Ever since I have been hooked. I hope that this small order he got from Penguin will get my friend at least somewhat "hooked" as well.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:11 pm 
born to perform.

Thank You for the update! Here is a link to a PDF that is being passed around that he will gain some good knowledge and secrets from; http://tinyurl.com/2433ln7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:22 pm 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
Thank You for the update! Here is a link to a PDF that is being passed around that he will gain some good knowledge and secrets from; http://tinyurl.com/2433ln7

Thanks. I will have a look at it the minute I get a chance! I appreciate it. I will keep you all posted.