View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Derren Brown like effects
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm 
Penguin

Can anyone point me in the direction to some derren brown like effects. I've read 13 steps along with some cold reading and showmanship books. Also got E.I. by Luke Jermay and was pleased. Thanks if you could help.

Post subject: Re: Derren Brown like effects
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:18 pm 
born to perform.

Basically all you need to do is study mentalism techniques. There are no concrete derren brown style effects. What you really need to be looking into is hypnosis, cold reading, mentalism, possibly some background information on NLP (though you should never need it to pull off derren's effects), and any other mentalism style techniques you can think of. Derren is more so a mentalist than a practitioner of NLP... which he has never mentioned using in his shows.
However, that being said. Please do not turn into another one of those derren clones. Loads of mentalists are mirroring derren's style of mentalism. Please do not add to the masses and become a mentalist of your own. Create your own character, your own style, be unique. But whatever you do, do NOT become another derren clone.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:59 pm 
Penguin

Of course. I just watched a video on youtube of a man trying to duplicate one of Derrens tricks and its just painful to watch. Hes just honestly inspirational in every aspect.

I've read also a few books on NLP.

Any recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:02 pm 
born to perform.

Derren Brown does a lot of David Berglas effects.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:47 pm 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:

Thanks! I'll look into that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:16 am 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:

That's interesting actually, I'll remember that. I know enough about my own style to know there's point copying derren, but I still am inspired by him and want to emulate him as best I can.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:05 am 
born to perform.

I have been watching a lot of his stuff and have recently read one of his books. Though I can't pick out specific effects, and would never know for sure, I have the supicion that he is a lot more pragmatic than one would think watching his TV shows. Keep your mind open, and I mean wide open, and you might find some "magic" effects that you could spin and present as hypnosis/mentalism effects. Also, watch his live shows, not his TV show, for inspiration. I am sure his live shows include a lot of pre-show work as well but I think there is so much in the TV show that you could really get confused and start "barking up the wrong tree."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:15 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
I have been watching a lot of his stuff and have recently read one of his books. Though I can't pick out specific effects, and would never know for sure, I have the supicion that he is a lot more pragmatic than one would think watching his TV shows. Keep your mind open, and I mean wide open, and you might find some "magic" effects that you could spin and present as hypnosis/mentalism effects. Also, watch his live shows, not his TV show, for inspiration. I am sure his live shows include a lot of pre-show work as well but I think there is so much in the TV show that you could really get confused and start "barking up the wrong tree."

I don't believe any of his live shows that I've seen contain pre-show work. At least the two "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "An Evening of Wonders". I'm not as sure about "Enigma" because I haven't seen it as much, the same goes for his first special that I can't remember the name of. But you'd be surprised what you can make look like hypnosis/suggestion without actually doing it. So I suppose I'm somewhat agreeing with you and somewhat not at the same time lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:23 pm 
born to perform.

If Derren's as good as I know he is, there's no pre-show work at all in Enigma. Just about 1hr 15min of pure genius in design and method. Soooooo good.

-JT

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:39 pm 
born to perform.

bucky310 wrote:

I don't believe any of his live shows that I've seen contain pre-show work. At least the two "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and "An Evening of Wonders". I'm not as sure about "Enigma" because I haven't seen it as much, the same goes for his first special that I can't remember the name of. But you'd be surprised what you can make look like hypnosis/suggestion without actually doing it. So I suppose I'm somewhat agreeing with you and somewhat not at the same time lol.

Yes...The one I am thinking about is one of his Q&A routines. Didn't seem like much was used. Probably nothing more than assigned seating and a short questionnaire when reservations were made. Small tidbits of info that can be blown up with judicious use of cold reading...a skill he excels at IMO. I mostly wanted to warn the new folks not to get carried away with the Pseudo methods he claims. The System is probably the most honest example of just how much time, preparation, and effort that he, his consultants, and producers put into delivering that "magical experience" to the viewers at home. Anyways, I am not disagreeing with you at all...just warning that most people will be performing effects that "appear" as amazing as Derren Brown's effects much quicker by studying their Annemann and Corinda(with a good dose of theatrics) than by trying to learn NLP and actual "muscle reading."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm 
Penguin

mental yarn! it can play so much ways!
drawing dupe,telakinises thought projection!
so so much ways!