View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: real mindreading
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:09 pm 
Penguin

hi
i have done a lot of mentalism in the in past but i was wondering what is the closest thing to real mind reading effect ever made for a good price something like you would see darren brrown do.

jeremys

Post subject: Re: real mindreading
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:20 pm 
born to perform.

Luke Jermay was working on exactly this thing about a year back. He gave some of the guys in his PMM class a teaser of some of the methods. It was some truely indpired thinking...to bad he never followed through and finished the project. In the mean time, get serious about studying theactrics. Worry less about trying to find methods in which the spectator doesn't have to write anything down and worry more about presenting things in a way which they forget the did write something down.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:05 pm 
born to perform.

Look into cold reading. There are a number of resources on the subject and I firmly believe that it is the closest thing to a demonstration of real mind reading.

"...I firmly believe that in all the arts and crafts of mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than a first class Reader. It I the ultimate in mentalism and if you reach this standard - you will never get any higher - nor will you have to. It is a paradox that entertainers seek to create a fantasy and the the fantasy of this art is reality."
- Tony Corinda, Thirteen Steps to Mentalism

Peace,
Rev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:18 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Luke Jermay was working on exactly this thing about a year back. He gave some of the guys in his PMM class a teaser of some of the methods. It was some truely indpired thinking...to bad he never followed through and finished the project. In the mean time, get serious about studying theactrics. Worry less about trying to find methods in which the spectator doesn't have to write anything down and worry more about presenting things in a way which they forget the did write something down.

are there any things that luke jermay did finish that you would highly recommend

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:24 am 
Penguin

I think you need to look into dual reality, perception control is an amazing way to perform feats that would have had to be stooged/pre-show without using either of these variables :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm 
Penguin

Closest thing to mind-reading I find is eye-cue reading.

Its an NLP thing

You ask someone to think of a person, sound, or feeling.
Then you know which one of the three, name it (suprise for the spectator starts here)
Then you know if its ''remembered'' or constructed. Generally remembered things occur often in somebody's life. So you'll ''guess'' (say your spectator is thinking of a person) that its a person close to him, somebody he might see often, friend or family perhaps.

(more exitement)
The rest is pretty much doing the same thing mediums do, although without the lying about being psychic and all :P. (not going to give this part away, buy/read some stuff about cold reading.)

Best thing, this can be done impromptu!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm 
born to perform.

Get "Emotional Intellegence" by Luke Jermay. It is structured so that you will be able to practice Cold Reading but at the same time you have three guaranteed successes throughout the course of the routine.

@Peter_Turner....are you referring to things like the Dunninger Principle or like Banechek's Pk touches? Not really sure what you mean by "Dual Reality?" I'd be interested if you could elaborate a bit. Not asking for exposier...just some book referances. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:11 pm 
Penguin

I'd like to point out for eye cues that if your spectator is left handed, those cues could be switched (right and left).

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:03 pm 
born to perform.

Indeed there are a lot of problems with those cues. I did some tests on friends and a few strangers in conversation. It really isn't close to 100% reliable, but its a tool to keep in mind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:19 pm 
born to perform.

I find the better idea is to watch for changes in eye movements if you're willing to be 100% dependent on them (no other trickery involved). People tend to move their eyes differently than others. The way I move my eyes when I think of a remembered sound might be different than the next person. They are general guidelines and not 100% at that. Which is why you should look for changes with one distinct example being your odd one out. That's the best I'd like to explain my position on it without giving too much away.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:22 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
Get "Emotional Intellegence" by Luke Jermay. It is structured so that you will be able to practice Cold Reading but at the same time you have three guaranteed successes throughout the course of the routine.

@Peter_Turner....are you referring to things like the Dunninger Principle or like Banechek's Pk touches? Not really sure what you mean by "Dual Reality?" I'd be interested if you could elaborate a bit. Not asking for exposier...just some book referances. Thanks.

Dual reality is a principle in mentalism where what is happening to the selected participant(s) on stage is a part of creating a greater illusion to the audience. 2 realities, the reality of the effect happening to your selected audience member and the reality of what the audience experiences the effect to be. The principle is a really clever one and can be used to create some incredible demonstrations. It is not a highly published technique as I understand it - maybe Peter could help me out there - but there are some resources out there. The Dunninger ploy uses Dual Reality to a point but it can be a lot stronger.

P.S. I stand by my opinion that Cold Reading is the closest thing to real mind reading. Eye cues are interesting but far from mind reading.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:25 pm 
born to perform.

Okay...Thanks! Never heard it called that before but I know of a few effects that use it. It is a great ploy. I know of a few Luke Jermay effects that ise it as well as Dunningers principle. I would love to get some more hints on resources. One of the more intriguing mentalism principles that I have studied.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:13 am 
Penguin

Yeah you summed it up, it's a principle where the everyone sees the same effect but sees differently. PK touches is a ploy on time perception, there isn't a lot out there (published) on dual reality to be fair.

Kenton Knepper invented the term, the easiest effect to look at in regards to Dual reality is 'Lift' Derren Brown explains it perfectly.

(Any more questions in regards to the subject inbox me as I think we are walking the line here lol)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:15 am 
Penguin

Bob Cassidy is a real mindreader :)

or at least this is what it looks like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC-rwZdqckA

I love his material.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:20 am 
Penguin

I have a new name guessing technique, No writing anything down, no dual reality or instant stooging, they think it and you guess it as clean as that.

I just finished cleaning it up and road tested it several times and it works beautifully!!