View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Opinions on BOLD mentalism
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:32 am 
Penguin

As I am a massive fan of risky techniques and BOLD effects (effects that take guts to perform) effects that could potentially not work and diabolical techniques, I was wondering what everyone else thought on the subject?

Also the most risky effect you know of? would be fun to hear from you guys :D

Post subject: Re: Opinions on BOLD mentalism
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:08 am 
born to perform.

I'm quite the opposite. Maybe it's because I don't perform professionally (yet) so I don't get that many opportunities to get it right. Still I think if it's worked in right bold can be very strong. I like and use Maven's blue force on a screwed up piece of paper for spectator selection.
I'm good with bold and genuine psychological stuff as long as I have some solid fall back material or can play off a miss as something unimportant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:29 am 
born to perform.

Have a look a Chan Canasta. A true great in the field of mentalism and real pioneer to the art. Chan would often perform incredibly bold effects with a high risk of failure. Apparently, he would regularly (due to the nature of his methods) mess up - in that his ideal result did not occur but his audience would not remember these moments as his 'hits' were so remarkably strong. He used some psychological techniques, some probability and sometimes just pure chance. A fascinating man.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:07 pm 
Penguin

revelation77 wrote:
Have a look a Chan Canasta. A true great in the field of mentalism and real pioneer to the art. Chan would often perform incredibly bold effects with a high risk of failure. Apparently, he would regularly (due to the nature of his methods) mess up - in that his ideal result did not occur but his audience would not remember these moments as his 'hits' were so remarkably strong. He used some psychological techniques, some probability and sometimes just pure chance. A fascinating man.

:) I agree awesome performer, I love the bold factor I try to use it a lot to avoid pre show. This is going to sound like a weird comment but sometimes bold pieces are often safer than a lot of guaranteed success pieces if pattered correctly.

What do you think to Jermay's effects?

also lots of people considered Banacheks PK too bold when they were first released (according to a reliable source)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:21 pm 
born to perform.

I'd have to say I'm not that into risky stuff as well. The riskiest thing I attempt is a magician's force in the spectators hands. I've not got a perfect reason for choosing to eliminate one set of cards over the other. I can't remember which reason I used to use, but it worked most of the time, just haven't found that perfect undeniable reason yet. But it does backfire sometimes and leaves you embarassed when facing the most skeptical people that know me and are not afraid to question what I'm doing (close friends, family, etc.). It always works on strangers though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:18 am 
born to perform.

The only "Bold" mentalism I have really been exposed to is Luke Jermay and a little bit of Banechek(pk touch.) I actually like how Jermay structures his stuff. He usually sticks risky methods sandwiched between more sure fire methods. That way, if you do miss, you still have something sucessful to end on. So other than that and some of the cold reading stuff in 13 steps I haven't really been exposed....Heck I'm still pretty new to mentalism. So far mentalism is just a nice break from cards.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 am 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
I'd have to say I'm not that into risky stuff as well. The riskiest thing I attempt is a magician's force in the spectators hands. I've not got a perfect reason for choosing to eliminate one set of cards over the other. I can't remember which reason I used to use, but it worked most of the time, just haven't found that perfect undeniable reason yet. But it does backfire sometimes and leaves you embarassed when facing the most skeptical people that know me and are not afraid to question what I'm doing (close friends, family, etc.). It always works on strangers though.

You ever tried putting the cards in an (home made) envelope?

Can have as much choice as they like then :wink:

If you are looking for a cheeky one to force them to take the cards in your left hand,

Patter

'In a moment's time I am going to use suggestion to force you to pick a hand, I will attempt to manipulate your choices. The aim of the game is to have a strong mind and make sure its a free choice.

In a moment you will get the choice to take an envelope, just take the one that feels RIGHT to you lift up your right hand very slightly.

Please make your choice'.

They will always try to catch you out and take the left as they don't want to seem weak falling for such an obvious suggestion

String of words used in the patter,

(Manipulate - strong word, Strong mind make sure its a free choice - this is the real suggestion that suggests them to go against the right hand)

for an added kick, look like they haven't chose the one you wanted them to choose, say this;

'Are you sure you don't want to swap it for the RIGHT one'

They wont, they believe they have beat you, smile and proceed with effect hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:38 am 
Penguin

forgot to add a little bit of patter at the start,

'I have some cards in my LEFT hand lift them a little and I have some in my RIGHT hand' Then proceed with in a moment's.....

(the idea is a double bluff)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:51 pm 
born to perform.

Peter_turner1 wrote:
forgot to add a little bit of patter at the start,

'I have some cards in my LEFT hand lift them a little and I have some in my RIGHT hand' Then proceed with in a moment's.....

(the idea is a double bluff)

I get where you're going with that, but it might not work with the effect that I do. I'll pm you for details as I do not want to reveal too much here. It's one of my favourites.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:24 am 
Penguin

Came up with a new bold effect this afternoon, don't think anyone will perform it though as it is a little too bold haha :twisted: