View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Jay Sankey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:08 am 
Penguin

How's do everyone think of Jay Sankey and his products?

Post subject: Re: Jay Sankey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:53 am 
born to perform.

Is there a reason why you're actually asking this question?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:21 pm 
Emperor Penguin

PopChris, your attention is needed here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:02 pm 
Penguin

soowee wrote:
Is there a reason why you're actually asking this question?

just like the reason you think inner :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:09 am 
born to perform.

I don't actually own any Sankey products but it seems to me to be like most people who kick out a lot of material for sale, some of it's good, others not so. It's probably a case of finding what fits your performance style.

But.... I really don't like his performance style. He makes me cringe. Now that's not a put down it's an opinion. Sankey clearly knows what he likes to do and since he's worked pro for a long time he knows what works for him so if that's what he wants to do he can go right ahead I'm sure he doesn't care that I don't like it.

However... what the deuce is going on in his recent trailers for his dvds? No seriously I'm used to seeing a total dork with no hair and glasses telling bad jokes. As I said it's not my thing but it's clearly his thing and it seems to have worked for him..

ok so go to his website or penguin store and check out the trailer for the insider... no seriously go do it I'll wait...................

back.... are you as shocked as me? Seriously what was that? He's clearly been taking advertising lessons from paper crane who's trailers generally suck as they mostly show reaction shots and very little of the actual trick. I mean dude seriously loose the cap and baggies it's not you and you and you know it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:16 am 
born to perform.

i think ill wait for the book((if its ever made))

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 pm 
Penguin

I only have one product by Jay Sankey: Anytime, Anywhere. I think that particular disc is full of great stuff and is a good value for the money. His presentation style is certainly not for everyone, but I think that a lot of the effects can be delivered in a way that fits your style. His teaching method is clear and easy to understand, so I'd give his work a thumbs up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:23 pm 
Penguin

personally, i think hes great. I have a few of his dvds (sankeys best card magic, sleights with cards or something like that but not revolutionary card magic, pandoras box, and hemispheres) and i think he is a very good person to learn from. I find that, especially if your beginning or dont have your own set sence of style yet, that the more you watch a magician perform, the more you pick up on how they perform and the more you act like them when you present your own magic, especialy if your doing the same tricks. but with Sankey, that really isnt the case, simply because his style of performing is so bizarre and unique, that its practicaly impossible to mimick.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 am 
Penguin

I'm not buying anything else from him

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:44 am 
Penguin

killazerg wrote:
I'm not buying anything else from him

And why is that?!?!?!?!?!? :o :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 am 
born to perform.

Hmmm i wrote my other post in april and still theirs nothing...

Also the book i was referring to, is supposed to be a book with all his effects in it.

and i mean all of them; not just a few lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm 
Penguin

I have a copy of "Anytime, Anywhere" and it is indeed a good value. I think there are 30 effects on the disc, and a lot of them are things that you certainly could perform, or adapt to perform within your style, and get great reactions. His presentation style is certainly not for everyone.

I had the chance to attend his lecture here last week and I would definitely say that he is a super nice guy. Very friendly and down to earth. Prior to the lecture he was walking around introducing himself to people. He took a few minutes out to talk with me, noting I was one of the few folks that had brought a notebook along. The effects he showed us were very good, and a few I would like to work on and add to my regular arsenal.

If nothing else, his philosophy and insights about performing were excellent. Anyone who has as much experience in magic as he does is certainly worth learning from. Some of his material will suit you, some won't.

As an aside: I purchased a copy of Kaleidoscope from him at the lecture. I'll say that there are at least three effects on there that are absolutely stellar! If you put the time into them and present them well they could easily make the disc worth the price for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 pm 
born to perform.

I think Jay is one of the best creative and working magicians today. I owned many of his tricks and DVDs. The ones that I still have are some of my favorites. Secret Files, Anytime Anywhere, and one that I just got yesterday, International Collection, which is amazing. He always comes out with great products and gives great advice. I wasn't always a big fan, but I am now.