View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chop by Craig Petty
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:44 pm 
born to perform.

If one is going to release material then it's fair game. Don't want it copied or shared without compensation, don't release it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:14 pm 
born to perform.

EZrhythm wrote:
If one is going to release material then it's fair game. Don't want it copied or shared without compensation, don't release it.

Not entirely from a legal sense. Battles have been fought and won over things like this. Digital Dissolve and Steve Duschek, Yigal Mesika and someone had a disagreement over an IT reel that went to court.

Crediting, just as in research papers, is crucial to the art. If you try and do without it, the community will eat you alive. It's also a reasonable expectation in a brotherhood as closely knit as the magic scene.

-JT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:41 pm 
born to perform.

Heh, I was editing my previous post when you quoted it to reply. Your points are correct.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:48 pm 
Team Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Popchris wrote:
I doubt it; he states "fruit cup is new to him" so I really don't think it would be credited on the DVD.

Saborfang...if you follow the history of the posts I'm sure all your questions will be answered. One of my favorite card magicians openly admits that he doesn't read a lot of other peoples material. This allows him to come up with many very clever and creative solutions to problems that others miss because they are too entrenched in other peoples ideas. Never the less he credits when he is aware that a credit is due and openly states that if someone finds a technique that he describes, but has been published elsewhere, they are free to e-mail him and his will post a credit on his website. Daniel Madison creates his material in good faith and I'm sure Craig Petty does as well. You would have to be a freak of magic encyclopedia knowledge not to miss a credit every once in a while. Doesn't mean these guys are trying to steal other peoples material.

I never said they were; I just stated that I don't believe it is credited anywhere on the DVD.

Who is Saborfang?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:20 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:

I never said they were; I just stated that I don't believe it is credited anywhere on the DVD.

Well I am defending the guy based on two or three DVDs I have of his, all of wich are very well credited, and some of you are attacking the guy because you don't like him. It seems obvious that he missed that credit from the post on the cafe' but it sure seems to me that he acknoledged that and gave a nod to Carney. The bigger issue now is weather he made an honest effort to credit. I think we should wait to hear from the folks who got Chop. If they have an issue with the credits I am sure they will tell us about it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:18 pm 

It's very possible that 2 people can come up with the same idea and not have heard of the other person. I haven't received it yet so I don't know if he credits it or not, but he did make comments on the green place about not knowing of any other effect that was similar. That's good enough for me. I trust him and will support him

Paddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:16 pm 
Team Penguin

paddy wrote:
It's very possible that 2 people can come up with the same idea and not have heard of the other person. I haven't received it yet so I don't know if he credits it or not, but he did make comments on the green place about not knowing of any other effect that was similar. That's good enough for me. I trust him and will support him

Paddy

I completely agree; I think there is a difference between no effort to credit and accidentally missing something. One warrants questioning; the other does not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:19 pm 
born to perform.

Popchris wrote:
paddy wrote:

Paddy

I completely agree; I think there is a difference between no effort to credit and accidentally missing something. One warrants questioning; the other does not.

Agreed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:26 pm 
born to perform.

craig petty is crazy about crediting so i doubt hed leave anything he knew about out

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:22 pm 
Penguin

lol global shortage, one way to hype a product. heh, guess I will have to wait a few months.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:43 pm 
Team Penguin

It sounds funny but it's true! I wish it wasn't :x

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:41 pm 
Verified VIP

Guys, thanks for your interest in chop.

Since I started the WPR with Dave thousands of people email me telling me how much they enjoy the show which is great. But you also get others that we've p****d off that try to question everything Dave and I do. Whether you lipoid me or hate me I really appreciate your interest in chop and if I can answer any questions about the product I will.

Regarding the crediting, I am very BIG in crediting and always have been. Everyone that should be credited has been as far as I am aware. Obviously you cannot be 100% perfect. For example I had no idea about fruit cup until it was pointed out to me. The routine is great but differs in many ways to chop. Living in the UK I have always had an issue with the torn corner switch. A £5 note (which is our lowest denomination note) is an expensive note to rip up and then not restore. Chop uses a signed bill and gets around the issue.

Anyway, if I can be of any help let me know

Thanks

Craig.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:04 pm 
born to perform.

Thank You for the heads-up, Acar.

I've been shopping with Penguin since 2003 and have never known them to make up hype in order to increase sales.

Very professional of you, Craig. Excellent reply to the issue.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:57 pm 
born to perform.

Can't wait to get my copy of Chop. I have quite a few of Craig's DVDs. Keymaster and Locked in a room without coins is excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 pm 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
Thank You for the heads-up, Acar.

I've been shopping with Penguin since 2003 and have never known them to make up hype in order to increase sales.

Very professional of you, Craig. Excellent reply to the issue.

I wasn't suggesting it wasn't true, just funny. It really is on my wish list.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next