View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I'd like some performance advice...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:49 am 
born to perform.

I posted this a few months back in the Penguin theater but some new folks have showed up on the mentalism board (and some have returned from an absence) so I thought I would give this a whirl here. More mental magic than mentalism but I would really like to hone this into a signature effect for me. This was shot shortly after I pieced the method together so the big weakness in in my presentation. Any criticisms welcome. Thanks...

http://vimeo.com/20151581

Post subject: Re: I'd like some performance advice...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 am 
Penguin

This doesn't seem like mentalism to me. What about a card location involves it? From a laymen's point of view it may seem like the deck "acted on it's own" and that their thoughts don't seem connected (If anything, their fist pounding had more to do with the effect than their thoughts). Don't get me wrong, I like the effect. In fact it looks similar to something I've seen where the deck is wrapped in a rubberband, dropped onto the table and the selected card pops out and is caught in the middle. Very visual.

Best advise I can give is to rehearse this a bit more. You said "um" quite a bit, and I think this reflects to your audience that what you are attempting is more haphazard. I like the fresh pack convincer, but for the "strength" of this effect I think it may slow down your presentation a bit too much. I think to speed things up you should be the one to open the pack, and not your audience. Even if they think you are switching decks, that is a feat in itself.

Hope this was helpful.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 am 
Penguin

I think It could be a wonderfull mentalism effect, what derfines mentalism anyway??

Somebody thinks of something and you guess it in a range of ways, how about this, seen as though we both know how the 3 was controlled, you ask them to think of a playing card and not say anything out loud and then it pops out...(use a mental force)

or

Ask them to think of any persons name in the world, not say anything out loud, then name a playing card the cards are wrapped in a band and when they bang the table the card shoots out they named with a sticky label on that has the thought name on it.

As a principle it could be used in a range of ways for a mental magic effect :)

But what do I know lol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:54 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
I posted this a few months back in the Penguin theater but some new folks have showed up on the mentalism board (and some have returned from an absence) so I thought I would give this a whirl here. More mental magic than mentalism but I would really like to hone this into a signature effect for me. This was shot shortly after I pieced the posting.php?mode=quote&f=10005&p=1257353#method together so the big weakness in in my presentation. Any criticisms welcome. Thanks...

http://vimeo.com/20151581

On the performance front there is something you should notice psychologically that stands out,

I have discussed this in great length with others about logical thinking and there is an example in here that fits the glove.

you said

'I can open these if you like'

and got the response

'I don't trust you'

You didn't need to point out every little action as it creates suspicion, people watch you like a hawk and question your every move.

lets look at the patter and performance,

take the deck out of the pocket with the wrapper on (when the subject looks at it they should know its new, you don't need to tell them) open it while saying the line about wanting to try something a little strange.

If tell them you are going to try something a little strange, then pull out a sealed deck they will start looking for the 'little something thats strange'.

Then you said 'you can look at them if you want' (they are controlling the effect at this point its on their terms you need to let them know that you are showing them something on your terms).

(Also because they were taking hours to open the packet, you were having to make patter up whilst they faffed about.)

I'd have shuffled the cards, then handed the cards across to them to be shuffled whilst saying,

'A fresh deck opened in front of your own eyes none the less, give them a little shuffle and place them face down on the table'

(if you ask them to 'examine' or 'look through' something they will think there is potentially something that is hidden and they will watch you closely...There is no reason for them to check something that is ordinary)

now here is another slight psychological thing you will notice,

you asked her to THINK of a card, she was confused as to what she was supposed to do and asks you if she needs to name the card to which you had to respond with 'yes because she needs to know it' (looks fishy to a lay none natural)

Say to subject two 'Whilst (insert subject ones name) is shuffling the cards, if you would like to name a random card out please, do not just choose your favorite'.

(this gives the appearance you are not watching the deck in sub1's hands and are merely asking sub 2 to name a random card...Fills time when 1 is shuffling and seems natural)

The cards will be face down at this point a cards been named out and one knows what to suspect + you have controlled the situation.

they can see your putting the band on...here is an alternative

as you reach for the deck and apply the 'MOVE' (don't want to expose anything here) say to sub1 'you shuffled this deck of cards and you (look toward 2) named a random card (as you are placing the rubber band around the deck and placing it down) ask what the was card again (as though you have forgot the card, but please don't say i have forgot, let them make that judgement)

We do this for a good reason the 'moves' are done but it sells to them you have forgot the card and if they were to look for the secret moves it would be from this moment and your work is done the decks on the table.

Get them both involved, I would like you both to just think of the 3 of hearts for me concentrate scream it in your minds and when the tension is built up to a max climax by banging the table with your right hand and and say THREE OF HEARTS it will jump out towards them and it just hammers the nail into the coffin :)

(long story short - If you are going to do something obvious like shuffle a deck the sub can see that you don't need to tell them use that time to patter something else)

Good strong effect Hope this helps you :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

@ ArcAngle G- I realize it isn't pure mentalism. As I said, it is more mental magic. Ultimately I'm going to try using this as a closer for a mentalism routine I am making. I'm going to try out some ideas put forth by Derren Brown some years ago. Basically that mental magic can be very strong if you first use mentalism to suspend disbelief. As for the stuttering performance...lol. Yes I need to script this and rehearse a bit. Didn't help that I kept getting interrupted.

@ PeterTurner- That was a mountain of good advice. When I sit down and script this I will consider each point as necessary. The only thing I might steer away from is using a mental force. When this all comes together into the act I am working on one of the themes is "influence." Ie, did you think of that word voluntarily or did I influence you to say that. So because psychological forcing is actually being used as a pseudo method in much of my act I'm concerned about actually using it in the act. Be kind of like a magician mentioning that some people use a TT to switch bills and then he uses a TT for a bill switch. Maybe I am just not brazen enough yet! I really like the other subtleties you mentioned, especially "forgetting" the card. Like I say, I'll refer back to this when I script this together.

I am ultimately thinking of a "transfer of power" type effect and I am also considering doing a pseudo induction on the spectator shuffling the deck prior to the effect. What are your guys thoughts on going in that direction?

Thanks guys!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:44 am 
Penguin

Pseudo inductions are fantastic, but always have a reason why you are inducing them, for example you induce them and tell them to imagine them self shuffling the deck and even through they are looking at the backs they will just know when to stop shuffling and place the cards down.

And if you force someone to think of something and make it seem fair enough they will think

'did I think of it myself or did he influence me to think of it?'

which is a better question for them to think of, it leaves them questioning just how you achieved what you did, instead of them just holding their hands up and going

'oh..he influenced me, I must be easy to influence'

Which is fantastic but you want to come across as an enigma a mystery man if you will...

If you need anything that is crossing into murky waters inbox me :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:41 am 
born to perform.

Peter_turner1 wrote:
Pseudo inductions are fantastic, but always have a reason why you are inducing them, for example you induce them and tell them to imagine them self shuffling the deck and even through they are looking at the backs they will just know when to stop shuffling and place the cards down.

And if you force someone to think of something and make it seem fair enough they will think

'did I think of it myself or did he influence me to think of it?'

which is a better question for them to think of, it leaves them questioning just how you achieved what you did, instead of them just holding their hands up and going

'oh..he influenced me, I must be easy to influence'

Which is fantastic but you want to come across as an enigma a mystery man if you will...

If you need anything that is crossing into murky waters inbox me :)

Yeah okay...I'm catching on to what you are saying. If I am openly claiming to be trying to influence them then I might as well go for the verbal force. If it hits, great! Makes my job easier. If it doesn't, no sweat, what you just saw in my video would then become my "out." One way or the other the extra patter involved will add to the depth of the performance.

LOL Thanks. I just need to be hit upside the head sometimes to see the obvious!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:30 am 
Penguin

As Conan Doyle said 'There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact'

I create in this sense, the more obvious something is and/or appears the less there is for someone to question.

perform something very obvious and make the performance count and people will not be able to see how something is done, there are mental forces that guarantee a hit if you need info let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:14 pm 
Penguin

Peter_turner1 wrote:
As Conan Doyle said 'There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact'

I create in this sense, the more obvious something is and/or appears the less there is for someone to question.

perform something very obvious and make the performance count and people will not be able to see how something is done, there are mental forces that guarantee a hit if you need info let me know.

Hi Pete quick question 'Where do you get this sh*t from'?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:47 pm 
Penguin

I don't think I quite grasp where you are coming from? Where do I get what from? my opinions on mentalism from an actual performing point of view? where do I get my material from?

I just couldn't quite grasp what you was getting at here?

Someone asked for advice I answered?