View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Microphone holder that you can use both hands and walk a
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:30 am 
born to perform.

As far as mics go, there's no hard and fast rule as to what type a performer uses. It comes down to matters of preference and practicality for the individual performer. Benji brings up very valid points as to the role of an AV person or staff. However, for the venues that do not have an AV department or staff, it is most often left up to the performer to provide a PA system. It is in those instances where I based MY comments.

Whenever possible, I prefer to use my own PA system, including mic(s), because I know how to set it up, and get the best sound quality for that particular room. This is something that I've learned to do through experience, study and research. I do sound checks after set up, and "tune" the room accordingly.

EZrhythm, Shure mics are certainly decent microphones, and come in many different models and choices. You say that one only needs that kind of quality for singing. I disagree. I'm just as a firm of a believer in quality sound as I am in quality magic. Therefore, a quality mic is essential. Some may feel that this is not necessary, but believe me, it DOES make a difference.

If I cannot use my own PA system, I at least bring my own microphone....just in case they do not have the type that I use.(an wireless earset mic.....practically invisible, yet amazing sound quality) This way, I can just hook up the wireless receiver to the house PA system. I also have a hand held back up mic......just in case.

FWIW,
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:03 am 
Penguin

Im a fan of headset mic. There is less feedback then a lapel and I personally believe it gives you more range of motion.

I agree that the microphone on the chest looks outdated and more importantly looks cheap. If you are a professional entertainer you need professional equipment. Either a lapel or a headset is the way yo go with this. If you don't have your own mic then you may need to by the holder first but you will probably have to also deal with a wired mic as a lot of venues still don't have cordless and that will be a big pain.

This all comes down to where you perform. If you are performing corporate banquets then you are probably best to go with a lapel. If you perform a lot of fairs and other outdoors events then its a headset. If you perform comedy clubs then you may have to use the holder.

Its up the the performer to decide what they want to use and the image it portrays.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:02 am 
Penguin

Use a wire coat hanger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:01 pm 
Penguin

I use a wireless headset in stage performances.

-Widding

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:20 am 
Penguin

Tryllearne wrote:
I use a wireless headset in stage performances.

-Widding

Agree strongly I use a headset mic, tried several lapel mics all fed back and the 'Pop guard on them is useless' every time you make a plosive sound it pop's and the ground hum from them is horrendous.

I have used excellent brands and still had poor results.......Sennheiser headset all the way :)