View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Playing cards and mentalism
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:58 am 
Penguin

I personally do not think using playing cards in a mentalism close up act is a problem, granted I would never use them to force a page number of a book, or a 3 digit number.

What does everyone else think?

Pro's for me are 98% of the population has used playing cards at some point, a massive portion of them own playing cards and most bars own them for a fast mentalism demonstration.

My favourite effect (one of my signature effect) is getting one subject to supply there own deck shuffle them (so the performer can not know the order) take one card out and place it into their pocket (all while the mentalist faces away) and then get a second subject to look them in the eyes and guess the card!

Opinions wanted... as a lot of people frown upon using cards in a mentalism performance and i cannot see why>?

Post subject: Re: Playing cards and mentalism
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11 am 
Penguin

My act is comprised of alot of things. Contact juggling, cards, coins, every day objects, and mentalism. To be honest, I don't use cards in my mentalism effects. Even my invisible deck has some changed patter that makes it more a manisfestation of the mind rather than mentalism.

When I think of mentalism, I think of mind reading, predictions, and mind control. I also think that mentalism is far stronger when laymen feel they have more free choice rather than 1 out of 52-54 chance.

This is really just my opinion. I see nothing fundamentally wrong with using playing cards FOR mentalism.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:24 pm 
born to perform.

Sorta in the middle of doin something here so I'll be brief, I honestly don't have a problem with playing cards in mentalism. Handled correctly it really won't matter. My mind power deck is one of my favorite tools and I love the trilogy effect. Frankly if the likes of Max Maven and Derren Brown think they work who am I to say otherwise?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:29 pm 
born to perform.

When laymen see a deck of cards they think of poker and black jack and other card games. When magicians and mentalists see a deck of cards they think of card tricks. Thats the reason some mentalists don't like using cards, they think like magicians. They think that the audience will think that it's just a card trick. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I see nothing wrong with using cards as a mentalist. If you do it right it's super strong and meaningful. Look at Osterlind for example. However I think it should be mixed with other demonstrations/effects/tricks. After all we're supposed to be reading minds.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:28 am 
Penguin

Sorry I took so long to reply, gave a private stage show for college lecturers. (how the educated mind is easier to trick) ;)

I think any tool that a lay person understands is a go for me! If the circumstances are fair enough the performer doesn't look while the subject shuffles, then the subject chooses a card at random and finally it is deduced without holding the packet or having them write it down is ultimately fair.

close up it is always fantastic if you do a mental card force then introduce the deck rather than introduce the deck and get that look people can give :lol:

I always borrow a deck (i don't overly use them but just one fast effect) I like to use the 'I don't need to learn lengthy card counting procedures, reading people I found is a lot easier than learning how to remember mass amounts of cards and beside my memory is better used on something I will show you a little later'.

Give them the deck, let them shuffle them while you are facing away they take a card out remember it, put it in anywhere they want and reshuffle. I never touch the cards, look at them tell them to imagine they are playing a game of cards with me and they are holding their card in their hand and then correctly guess the color then suit and finally value.

the kicker for me is teaching someone else the system and getting another subject to guess the card that always works well as they really do use the cues (you will understand if you have purchased the book which i know a few of you have :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:54 pm 
born to perform.

Peter_turner1 wrote:
Sorry I took so long to reply, gave a private stage show for college lecturers. (how the educated mind is easier to trick) ;)

I think any tool that a lay person understands is a go for me! If the circumstances are fair enough the performer doesn't look while the subject shuffles, then the subject chooses a card at random and finally it is deduced without holding the packet or having them write it down is ultimately fair.

close up it is always fantastic if you do a mental card force then introduce the deck rather than introduce the deck and get that look people can give :lol:

I always borrow a deck (i don't overly use them but just one fast effect) I like to use the 'I don't need to learn lengthy card counting procedures, reading people I found is a lot easier than learning how to remember mass amounts of cards and beside my memory is better used on something I will show you a little later'.

Give them the deck, let them shuffle them while you are facing away they take a card out remember it, put it in anywhere they want and reshuffle. I never touch the cards, look at them tell them to imagine they are playing a game of cards with me and they are holding their card in their hand and then correctly guess the color then suit and finally value.

the kicker for me is teaching someone else the system and getting another subject to guess the card that always works well as they really do use the cues (you will understand if you have purchased the book which i know a few of you have :)

I vouch for this! Haven't tried it out yet but the trick he is describing is really cool!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:51 am 
Penguin

When you get round to it let me know :)