View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:53 am 
Penguin

Thank you both Paddy and Benji, I have only been using this forum for a couple of weeks and from what I've seen you have both taken a lot of effort to help fellow magicians, Paddy your advise is shown regularly all throughout and has helped many people in my situation and Benji, you have contributed significantly to people looking to get hired and being paid to perform.

So THANK YOU both very much!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:36 am 
born to perform.

New Video: Live hotel crashing...

Blog:
http://paidtoperform.blogspot.com/2011/ ... shing.html

Youtube:
http://youtu.be/eP4k3zNPp90

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:53 pm 
born to perform.

New Video: Booking $1,000 Corporate Gigs from testiominials...

Blog:
http://paidtoperform.blogspot.com/2011/ ... using.html

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niZeuHVAUi4

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:59 am 

On another site someone was writing about what agents and bookers really want. That's a DVD of you performing. Not a long one, just a couple of minutes, but it MUST show the audience. Here's what he wrote:
Quote:
But right where the rubber meets the road, what you need is to show that an audience loves what it is you do. NOTHING is more important that this. Show me an audience having a good time and you being the reason and you have a job. Seriously. The audience is EVERYTHING! I could watch a video with only hearing the sound from the performer and audience reaction and know if they will work or not. It is not so much about your magic or juggling or whatever, it is about if you as a person can make an audience have the time of their lives. Show an agent that you can do this and it is all you really need.

I know all the guru types talk about testimonials and all that bull****. I don't care if you have a testimonial from my mother, if the audience in your DVD is dead, you don't get the job. Don't forget you risk the reputation of the agent you are representing so they take it seriously sometimes.
Just another opinion from a successful performer

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:37 am 
born to perform.

Using testimonials is a whole different subject. The subject in the recent blog post is about what to say BEFORE the testimonial.

What you say BEFORE you capture a testimonial can help book gigs.

I'm not sure who wrote what you're quoting Paddy but they're talking about a different subject. They're simply saying....
Show people the results you produce

That is the basis of sales. But you have to change the way people see the results you're producing.

Imagine Copperfield out in the street performing for people that don't recognize him. And then imagine you perform for the same group. They won't see a difference between your value. But if Copperfield walks up to a group of people with a big camera crew then it changes the way the group will see his performance.

Everything you do and say influences the people around you. Learn how to use it to your advantage. This camera technique teaches you one of the ways (getting a testimonial isn't the subject)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:35 pm 

This was brought out on the green place and that statement was made there. The point is testimonials mean bupkis. If you show the audience having fun, laughing, enjoying your show, THAT is the butt kicker that gets you booked. You don't have to show yourself doing an effect, but showing the finish of an effect with the crowd going berserk will do it. Not some guy saying "gee he's good."

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:00 pm 
born to perform.

Social proof is what sells. If you don't believe me then pay attention to what you do when you go to Amazon and buy a book....you look at the REVIEWS. If it has 4-5 stars then you are more inclined to buy it than if it has 2 stars. If your friends tell you they saw a movie and it sucks then you won't see it. Don't tell me that social proof doesn't work when EVERYONE is influenced by it.

I take business advice from guys who make millions of dollars like Joel Bauer and not from people on The Magic Cafe. If a multimillionaire makes 90% of his income from social proof then there must be something to it.

Ask anyone who is making money and they will tell you....social proof sells

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:40 am 

Benjii, I am making money. In spite of being on dialysis 3 time a week I am booked solid for the rest of the year doing a combination of corporate shows (about 75% of my bookings) and parties for older clients. My promo pack has a list of clients and the DVD showing a lot of audience reactions. it works for me.

All I am saying is that there are several approaches to selling your act. Yours, and even mine, are not the only way. You & I both sometimes come across as"my way is the truth and everyone else is wrong!" I am just pointing out that there are options so look at and try all the ways to success.

In fact on the magic Cafe on your post of this in Tricky Business there 58 responses, mostly with pros disagreeing with you on this point.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 9:23 am 
Penguin

Why not a compromise? Have reviews in your promo clips, AND shots of the audience gasping?

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 am 
born to perform.

planeswalker321 wrote:
Why not a compromise? Have reviews in your promo clips, AND shots of the audience gasping?

I'm not saying to have one or the other. It is about social proof. Another person's word carries more weight than yours. We are influenced by it when we buy books, go to the movies, etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:39 am 
born to perform.

Paddy I've learned not to trust a magician's "word;" most of them aren't telling the truth. Unless someone can show me their website, videos, etc...I highly doubt they're working.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 11:00 am 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:
Paddy I've learned not to trust a magician's "word;" most of them aren't telling the truth. Unless someone can show me their website, videos, etc...I highly doubt they're working.

He's working.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 1:46 pm 

benji11 wrote:

Well a couple of points. One I KNOW several of these guys personally, if they tell you how much they make, you're right, it won't be truthful. it will be about 50% of their real earnings, the same as they tell the IRS. Also my website and any others will not tell you my fees, not even ballpark fees. My fees are between my client and me. The reason is simple I don't charge the same price for the same thing. i.e. I have workrd for Proctor & Gamble company and for GE Aircraft Engines (both located where I live) Also done the same show for a local hardware chain. P&G and GE can afford a he11 of a lot more than the hardware chain. same show, 2 prices, no one gets P.O'ed because I lowered my price so a small company can afford me

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:10 pm 
born to perform.

planeswalker321 wrote:
benji11 wrote:

He's working.

No offense Paddy, but that is not the website of someone who is booked with 75% of corporate work...you don't even have a video ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:33 pm 
Penguin

benji11 wrote:
planeswalker321 wrote:
benji11 wrote:

He's working.

No offense Paddy, but that is not the website of someone who is booked with 75% of corporate work...you don't even have a video ;)

You live in very different areas. That might make different promotional techniques more effective.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next