View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Top 5 street magic effects of all time
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:09 am 
Penguin

What, in your opinion are the top 5 street magic effects of all time? Gimmicked, gaffed, or otherwise. Could be a specialty trick from a dvd. Anything like that. The top 5. :?: :?: :?:

Post subject: Re: Top 5 street magic effects of all time
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:33 am 

I've kvetched about this before but will say it again. THE ABSOLUTE BEST effect for the street is thye one I am performing now. It is NOT the trick, it's the PERFORMANCE! I have seen buskers blow the cups & balls while others get BIG hats with just sponge balls. I saw posted on another site of one of the finalists in the world busker competition, and all he did was draw a crowd, and hit a slip & slide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:31 am 
Penguin

Paddy is right on.They taught a monkey to do "tricks". The effects mean nothing...its how the performer connects with his audience.Wake up people and smell the toast burning.

Don

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:55 am 
born to perform.

I third that gesture

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 am 
Penguin

No "Top 5" magic tricks will be universal in any magicians hands. I can give the same awesome effect to two different magicians and one will perform it way better than the other. Why? Because magic effects are like fine wines. They don't go with every meal/magician. You need to discover what is the best FOR YOU.

The way you figure that out is to actually go out and perform. Grab some effects you like, put them together into a routine, customize the patter, MAKE IT YOUR OWN. Once you've done that, gotten plenty of rehersal in till you can accomplish the routine in your sleep, go out and perform! Your audience will let you know what is working and what is not by their reactions. Also, sometimes laymen will straight tell you how they see you and what you are doing. "That thing you did with the aces was awesome, but that color changing coin trick was boring."

There is no compass, no road plan, no itinerary of magic effects that is going to make you awesome. It is just plain experience. It takes figuring out what works and what doesn't work. It takes alot of planning, preperation, and practice. It takes reflection and constantly sizing up what is and isn't working. It takes TIME.

Rather than you asking US what effects you should be looking for, we should be asking YOU what effects YOU LIKE. How do you see yourself as a performer? Are you making things float, are you working with coins or cards, are you like a comedian, are you mysterious, or are you like an average friend showing something amazing to fellow friends? These kinds of insights will help you select what kinds of effects are going to be awesome in your hands. From there you will need to experiment to figure out how things fit.

No one effect will fit all magicians absolutely. It is your job to figure out what is awesome for you, or how to make/modify/customize something so that it does fit.

-ArchAngel_G