View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Straying from your characters "Power."
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:43 pm 
born to perform.

Okay so I'm really interested in a few PK effects but they don't necessarily fit the "power" my character would have. I present PK as if the energy is actually coming from the spectator and I am just kind of a guide that helps the spec unlock this energy inside them. Never the less, PK is not a gift my character personally possesses. So my question is, using the "transfer of power" presentational angle is it possible to sneak a little PK into my act?

Post subject: Re: Straying from your characters "Power."
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:51 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Okay so I'm really interested in a few PK effects but they don't necessarily fit the "power" my character would have. I present PK as if the energy is actually coming from the spectator and I am just kind of a guide that helps the spec unlock this energy inside them. Never the less, PK is not a gift my character personally possesses. So my question is, using the "transfer of power" presentational angle is it possible to sneak a little PK into my act?

I hate anything other than chek's PK touches, I think when you move something with telekineses it is obviously fake and markets that psychic part of performing.

On the other hand if that is the direction you want to go in go that direction, don't let anyone stop you anything can work in any act if it is made believable.

What effect you looking at sneaking in?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:25 pm 
born to perform.

I was going to post a thread about this myself actually. There's a wonderful effect in Theater of the Mind called suspension of disbelief where by a clear glass of water is suspended by a spoon. It's a great effect but I really couldn't think of any way to present something like this as anything other than real power. In a magic show sure but not in mentalism.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:08 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the responses guys. As for specific effects. I am interested in a key bend and my Pixel effect. I have done both as "Mental Magic" at the end of a magic set but adding them to the Mentalism set I am creating is becoming a bit of a challenge. The thing is the character that is beginning to emerge is kind of a "used card dealer." I open with a few easy hypnotism games and discuss suggestibility and then I launch into the mentalism. That way I have planted the seed that anything I ask them to think about, and I subsequently reveal, may not be the work of a psychic but instead the results of suggestions I have previously implanted in their head.

My one thought on the key bend was to keep some vice grips in my pocket. After the effect is finished I might say something like, "Over the next few days your memories of what just happened may start coming back to you. Perhaps you will even recall the moment in which I pulled these out of my pocket and bent the key." I donno....just an idea.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:40 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Thanks for the responses guys. As for specific effects. I am interested in a key bend and my Pixel effect. I have done both as "Mental Magic" at the end of a magic set but adding them to the Mentalism set I am creating is becoming a bit of a challenge. The thing is the character that is beginning to emerge is kind of a "used card dealer." I open with a few easy hypnotism games and discuss suggestibility and then I launch into the mentalism. That way I have planted the seed that anything I ask them to think about, and I subsequently reveal, may not be the work of a psychic but instead the results of suggestions I have previously implanted in their head.

My one thought on the key bend was to keep some vice grips in my pocket. After the effect is finished I might say something like, "Over the next few days your memories of what just happened may start coming back to you. Perhaps you will even recall the moment in which I pulled these out of my pocket and bent the key." I donno....just an idea.

A well with key bends there is one way to make a display thats not psychic :)

Rapid induce your subject using IPI (you own the material) we will call her judy because i like the Judge ;)

hand out a key to be examined (a duplicate of bent key) as you take it back switch and turn back in fact please just put your initials on it (obvs hide the bend) they have now signed the bent key.

state

'Now I know a lot of performers portray this particular stunt as psychic, it is in no way a psychic feat and I am by no means a medium (get this out of way early).

How many people in the audience have heard the tale of a female being able to pick up a car because their partner is trapped underneath it?

The explanation is generally that adrenaline can cause the human body to do weird but entirely natural phenomena, It is of my belief that the mind is such a strong tool when the body is placed into a natural state of un-comfort, it can cause the body to react in a strange manner.

I would like you to take hold of this key but hold it loosely, now this key is verified by the audience to be solid and is signed.

address subject

I would also like you to imagine your pet hate, something that makes you very angry I would like you to imagine letting the anger build up as you tighten you fist, your anger comes to a peak(start speeding up your patter building excitement) you are getting madder and madder just letting the anger come through you faster and faster until you open your eyes (touch their shoulder)

This will shock them and they will often drop the key, don't touch it let someone come and get it, the initials are on it play it off how you like from here.....

Hope this helps