View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Okay, it looks like I am on the right track
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:51 pm 
Penguin

I am working on my scripts, practicing and rehearsing. I have printed J.I. Swiss's article "The Honest Liar"

I am off to a Home Depot tomorrow to price out building a busking table. I think I can build a better one than I can buy ( fairly talented with the saw and have a complete wood working shop in my back yard)

I have worked up three 15 minute routines, consisting juggling to gather a crowd, an opener, a second act, and closers. They will all be scripted in a few days.

Been scouring you tube, gettting ideas, throwing out what won't work for me, learning what doesn't work, and what does.

I will be off Tues and Wed. I am heading downtown to scout locations.

I think maybe 30-45 days of hard rehersal I should be ready late summer

Okay guys what am I forgetting?

Post subject: Re: Okay, it looks like I am on the right track
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:59 am 

Do you have your act down? If so forget the rehearsals and hit the streets!! Just remember to use your hat lines and pass the hat!! Big ones (hats) to you!

Paddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:29 am 
Penguin

Down, no....close yes.

I work the bell stand at a MAJOR east coast golf resort. I am a bell captain, supervisor, greeter, first point of contact, answer man, etc., etc., etc. I have been preforming close up and silly one liners where I work for years now. The stuff helps to keep the guests from lighting up torches and pulling out the pitch forks when they have to wait for their accomadations to be ready. Easy stuff, sleights, cards, silly da-daa stuff. Entertaining the kids helps out the parents too, thakes the presure of off them after entertaining them in the car for God nows how many hours.

What I am about to do is taking it to another level. Sure I can hold a family of 5 for 5 minutes and get them laughing. Busking a crowd is something else. I want to be able to hold a crowd of 20-25 for 12 - 18 minutes entertain them, get them laughing, hat 'em, quick reset and do the same with a different routine. I want to have several different routines at least three maybe four, in case I get stayovers. ( never do the same demo twice for the same crowd )

I can not...am not going to go out there and blow it. It wouldn't be fair the ther greats whos shoulders I am standing on if I go out and do it half way.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:44 am 
Penguin

madcrowd wrote:
I can not...am not going to go out there and blow it. It wouldn't be fair the ther greats whos shoulders I am standing on if I go out and do it half way.

If you're able, pick up a resource specific to busking; Cellini and Kozmo both have DVDs on the subject, and their insight is invaluable.

Kozmo's thinking on how to structure a show, applause management, and the number and placement of hat lines will open your eyes. Cellini has probably forgotten more about busking that any three people know about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:50 am 
Penguin

Once you got handling down, I'm with Paddy. Hit the streets. That's where most of the learning actually is! I may get bashed for saying this, but the amount you could be learning by being on the streets performing is worth an occasional slight flash.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:56 am 
Penguin

Yeah yeah yeah...hit the streets, but these guys are missing a HUGE point. Do what you are good at in the beginning. Work shows small for 5-10 people, then gradually build them into more folks and longer shows.

Work your comfort zone then graduate...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:22 am 
Penguin

The latest. This post is more for my sanity that anything else. I am continuing to practice and rehearse. I purchased The Fritzkee Trilogy read "Showmanship" and "Brain" and am 40% thru "Misdirection". What an eye opener. I think that I have, in my short adventure, made every mistake that he wrote about. Made course corrections and have improved a great deal in the past weeks.

I have also stumbled onto an actor, screenplay writer who I asked if he would mind giving his insight and coaching to make my act more entertaining. In several conversations this man seems genuine and his interest in helping me has taken me by suprise.....go figure. I meet with him either this Tues. or Wed. for a private show and critique. It is going to be great to have someone who is not a magician but a performer look at my acts for their entertainment appeal and help change them if possible.

We shall see

Thanks for listening and your opinions would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:35 pm 
Penguin

Quote:
I purchased The Fritzkee Trilogy read "Showmanship" and "Brain" and am 40% thru "Misdirection". What an eye opener.

I am definitely interested in the Fritzkee Trilogy. I haven't bought it yet, but I heard a lot of great things about it. I'll buy them when I get the money.