View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Houston we have a problem....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:42 am 
Penguin

Yes Paddy, I do believe Magic Mike tried to fight the officers and stand his ground and THAT'S why he was arrested. If I remember the story correctly he was specifically told not to do something (Which was give a child an animal balloon) and did it anyways where the cop could see.

EZrhythm wrote:
One may certainly go about taking a stance without getting busted as there are tactful ways of doing so.

This.

paddy wrote:
Fighting COSTS money, moving makes money and that's why we busk.

This as well.

Choose your battles wisely. I can almost guarantee that if you try to argue/fight with a cop that things won't end well.

More on topic, I'll be sure to either stay away from Houston as a busking location or just not talk to any of the cops if I do.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:06 am 
Penguin

I just got off the phone with the city legal department and "Janey" cleared up alot of the questions I had.

Setting up on public or communal property is not going to happen. Because of the nature of the sidewalks (very narrow) and the streets (very Narrow) in Charleston setting up a "table" that inpeads the free access to public property is prohibited.

Her example is that if a crowd gathers on the sidewalk and pedistrian traffic is denied access to the sidewalk where we are performing and is forced to walk into the street and someone gets hit the city might deened libel for the medical bills.

The fine for impeading traffic is $1097.00

She also said that performing on private property is fine, as long as permission is granted. She also gave me the idea of securing a couple of parking spaces in a bank parking lot at the corner of Meeting and Market and performing in the parking lot which is private property.

I pressed her about 1st Amendment rights and she said that as long as I am making foward progress I have the freedom to talk about anything I want to as long as I do not incite terror or fear. The minute I set up a table or stand and foward progress stops I am in danger of the $1097.00 fine.

I am alive in the water again!

Planeswalker YOU WERE RIGHT!

Last edited by madcrowd on Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:11 am 
Penguin

Arch angel G,

I am not in Houston I am in Charleston, South Carolina. The "Houston we have a problem" is a quote form the Apollo 13 Mission. It is a saying that is used to indicate we might have a huge issue brewing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 am 

Charleston??? I just left there. was busking all weekend at the Taste of Charleston. No problems at all and we did tie up the street.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:29 am 
Penguin

All weekend? It happens in October, the 7th, 8th and 9th....It also doesn't happen downtown it happens at Boone Hall Plantation

http://www.charlestonrestaurantassociat ... harleston/

OKAY.....there went the credibility.

And there I go...see you guys later......

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:46 pm 
Penguin

madcrowd wrote:
I am alive in the water again!

Planeswalker YOU WERE RIGHT!

No problem, but Paddy's right too. A cop is only ever going to ask you to move, unless you make a stink about it. While I'm all for defending your civil liberties, again, unless you want to spend some time fighting a legal battle, just move. (If you do opt to stay, I believe someone posted an ACLU link to help you in court, but remember, while you're in court, you're not making money.) Maybe even ask the cop if he knows a good spot.

Also, you might try finding out the city's busking laws, like you did the second time, over the phone, rather than in person.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:43 pm 

CRAP You're right. Hey I'm tired I was at Taste of Charlotte, not Charleston. Sorry been on the road and had my head up my ... hey I'm GOOD, not perfect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:15 pm 
Penguin

Credibility restored...........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 am 
Penguin

EZrhythm wrote:
All of these "requirements" violate the Constitution's protection of the freedom to assemble.

AmeriKa :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:32 pm 
born to perform.

...Only for those who don't exercise their liberty. More and more are learning how to do so. Permits for public performances are a scam too and now there is knowledge of how to not be obligated under such regulations.