View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: PK Ring
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:46 pm 
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 01 Jan 2011
Posts: 349
Well, I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, and I'm most familiar with this section, so I was wondering.

Can the PK ring damage or negatively effect your cell phone if it gets to close? I'm just curious because I don't want to be reaching into my pocket with it on and pull out a broken cell phone.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 10 Sep 2004
Posts: 8861
Location: Las Vegas
It shouldn't hurt anything, but you should be aware that certain cell phones use magnetics as an on/off switch. They're triggered to lock the keyboard as they're put in their holster.

I've hung up on people by forgetting I had my PK ring on when I took a call.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:22 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 2571
A friend of mine owns a M5 magnet and it turns some phones off, but that magnet's much stronger than the pk ring


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:59 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 22 Feb 2003
Posts: 866
I've looked this up before. Some say it can, and some say it can't. I guess it depends on your phone. I have an iPhone 4 with a magnetic case and have had no problems. I also have an N50 PK wedding band and no problems either.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:51 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 1300
Location: New Jersey
phones, it wont hurt. Pacemakers/defibrillator, they will.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:17 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Location: Wood River, Illinois
tiggerkim wrote:
phones, it wont hurt. Pacemakers/defibrillator, they will.


I have a pacemaker and it doesn't bother it unless you would set the ring on the pacemaker for a period of time, and then it just changes the pace of the device. Now if I have my large PK magenet sitting on the couch beside me, I can deffinetly feel it as the pacemaker paces faster.

Zambini


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:25 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 1300
Location: New Jersey
My dad has a pacemaker/defibrillator and supposedly even that sized magnet could set it off. It must vary between devices.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:46 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Same problem here, my defib is Medtronics and when I broght a PK ring to the doc's office after it was first installed the Medtronics rep almost wet himself and told my to throw it away. Pk rings can fire of a defib unit, I can't even walk thru the airport screening units so I have to go to the perv line when flying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:56 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 05 Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Location: Wood River, Illinois
Mine is just a pacer and hasn't gone off for two years now and my room where I am most of the time has magenets all over it. The only one that does bother me is the big PK magenet that I have. Maybe it is the difference between pacer and defibulator as to how near one can be to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:48 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Yes Zambini, it could also be the it was the Medtronics technician that went nuts over it. They are a bit over-concerned. The reason is that if you wear a ring 24/7 like I do, and it is a PK ring, well you could roll over in your sleep and bring the ring against the device. That could cause problems. Oh well. I just don't use PK effects.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:11 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 1300
Location: New Jersey
paddy wrote:
Yes Zambini, it could also be the it was the Medtronics technician that went nuts over it. They are a bit over-concerned. The reason is that if you wear a ring 24/7 like I do, and it is a PK ring, well you could roll over in your sleep and bring the ring against the device. That could cause problems. Oh well. I just don't use PK effects.

There's always loops!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:34 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 1300
Location: New Jersey
What about credit cards? Could a PK ring effect the information on a credit card?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:34 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 891
paddy wrote:
Same problem here, my defib is Medtronics and when I broght a PK ring to the doc's office after it was first installed the Medtronics rep almost wet himself and told my to throw it away. Pk rings can fire of a defib unit, I can't even walk thru the airport screening units so I have to go to the perv line when flying.



Paddy. What kind of P.K ring do you have? It sounds strong. I have a few but I have went through airports and they never went off. I need a new one.

Thanks.
Lance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:49 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 1300
Location: New Jersey
aces_up_41 wrote:
paddy wrote:
Same problem here, my defib is Medtronics and when I broght a PK ring to the doc's office after it was first installed the Medtronics rep almost wet himself and told my to throw it away. Pk rings can fire of a defib unit, I can't even walk thru the airport screening units so I have to go to the perv line when flying.



Paddy. What kind of P.K ring do you have? It sounds strong. I have a few but I have went through airports and they never went off. I need a new one.

Thanks.
Lance.

Do you mean you went through the airport metal detector and they didn't make it go off? Or do you mean safely had it go though the x-ray machine? Cuz I've had buckles on otherwise 100% fabric belts that set those detectors off.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PK Ring
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:07 am 
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 18 Jan 2008
Posts: 1329
Location: Sydney
P.K rings will turn off phones, on one occassion i sapped my entire phones battery, not sure how though. I can damage the internal mechanisms of a number of devices including watches and pacemakers too.

The best magnetic rings i have found are from http://www.supermagnetman.net/

His N50's are extremely powerful, and compared to my ordinary PK Rings, I have dropped this one many times on tiles, concrete, etc from high distances and still they don't crack or break like normal PK Rings. Although for $35 a pop they are worth it in my opinion


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.