View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:44 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 550
planeswalker321 wrote:
You live in very different areas. That might make different promotional techniques more effective.


There is no way you believe that.

This guy lives in a different area...
http://interactiveentertainer.com/

This guy lives in a different area...
http://www.giovanniexperiences.com/programs/index.php

And those guys make TONS of money.

It is not where you live, it is how you do your marketing. Adam Christing is a great entertainer (http://interactiveentertainer.com/) and if he decided to move in the same place as Paddy (or me), do you think he would change his website to look like Paddy's?

Where you live doesn't determine what goes on your website.

Who you perform for (your target market) determines what goes on your website


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:46 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 550
And don't get me wrong...Paddy your website is not horrible for family entertainment. I just have a HARD time believing that 75% of your work is corporate work with that website. (and you don't have a single video)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:29 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 235
benji11 wrote:
planeswalker321 wrote:
You live in very different areas. That might make different promotional techniques more effective.


There is no way you believe that.

This guy lives in a different area...
http://interactiveentertainer.com/

This guy lives in a different area...
http://www.giovanniexperiences.com/programs/index.php

And those guys make TONS of money.

It is not where you live, it is how you do your marketing. Adam Christing is a great entertainer (http://interactiveentertainer.com/) and if he decided to move in the same place as Paddy (or me), do you think he would change his website to look like Paddy's?

Where you live doesn't determine what goes on your website.

Who you perform for (your target market) determines what goes on your website

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/maps/top50.html
Several of the top 50 fortune 500 headquarters are located in Ohio, two of which are in his own city.
It might well be that he's built up a really good network with his restaurant appearances alone. The fact that Paddy says he's worked for Proctor and Gamble seems to back this up; their headquarters is in Cincinnati.

Granted, I do think that with a makeover, his website would draw even more business, but he may be satisfied with what he can get locally; there's a lot of potential in his city.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:06 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 550
Paddy said he performed for P&G...well...I performed for Bill Gates. Don't ask me for proof because I charged him 1 billion dollars. The fact that I said I performed for Bill Gates at 1 billion dollars is enough proof.

While we're at it. I performed for P. Diddy, JayZ, Michael Jordan, and 1,000 other celebrities and charged them only 1 million dollars (I would have went higher but I like them). But don't ask to see my video or a picture of it because I didn't feel like taking any.

JUST TAKE MY WORD FOR IT

Here is what proof is....
"I performed for Remax, look at this video"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:09 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
benji11 wrote:
Paddy said he performed for P&G...well...I performed for Bill Gates. Don't ask me for proof because I charged him 1 billion dollars. The fact that I said I performed for Bill Gates at 1 billion dollars is enough proof.

While we're at it. I performed for P. Diddy, JayZ, Michael Jordan, and 1,000 other celebrities and charged them only 1 million dollars (I would have went higher but I like them). But don't ask to see my video or a picture of it because I didn't feel like taking any.

JUST TAKE MY WORD FOR IT

Here is what proof is....
"I performed for Remax, look at this video"
Why try to drag paddy through the dirt? Why try to discredit paddy? If you don't like the information that he has posted, explain why it is wrong. Don't sink down to trying to insult paddy in order to prove him wrong. That is just childish. And really, it takes away from your credibility.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:12 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 550
I don't lie about what I do and I don't expect other people to lie


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:14 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Emperor Penguin

Joined: 24 Jun 2006
Posts: 6622
Location: Penguin's Most Feared Intellect
benji11 wrote:
I don't lie about what I do and I don't expect other people to lie
Except that you accused paddy of lying.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Penguin

Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Posts: 235
benji11 wrote:
I don't lie about what I do and I don't expect other people to lie

I really don't think he is lying, Benji. He seems to be an "old school" magician, who learned his techniques, and built his social network long before the internet was invented. You developed your marketing techniques around modern resources.
Magicians did get corporate bookings before the internet. I haven't asked for a copy of Paddy's schedule of restaurant appearances, but I'd be willing to bet that quite a few of them target corporate clients.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:51 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
Benjii, I don't need to prove to the world the truth. I only need to show prospective clients what I have done. I do that. Both those clients are repeat customers so I must be doing something right.

I am very sorry that I am not like you, with a need to promote myself as THE EXPERT. My way works, the proof is that I started to rebuild my live at 50 yrs old by going full time into this business with not retirement, no other income, not anything and here, almost 16 years later I am still in business. I make a descent living, not as good as you claim to, but descent. "My company" (for tax reasons) buys me a new car every 2 to 3 years and I chose to live in an apartment because I don't have to do all the crappy maintenence that homeowners have to do.

You can tell the sarcastic lies about working for gates all you want, but at least I am not laughed at and derided on The magic cafe like you are. this discussion is finished.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 11:34 am 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 550
paddy wrote:
You can tell the sarcastic lies about working for gates all you want, but at least I am not laughed at and derided on The magic cafe like you are. this discussion is finished.


Laughed at by whom? The guys who try to make a living charging $300 per show :) ...nothing wrong with charging that much but I only listen to the advice and hang around people that are doing what it is I want to do.

And btw...a new blog post will be coming soon about using techniques to "market at the gig"....featuring the long lost B Magic

In the meantime, I'm off to buy a lamborghini, mercedes, and BMW; I buy a couple of cars every year ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
benji11 wrote:
paddy wrote:
You can tell the sarcastic lies about working for gates all you want, but at least I am not laughed at and derided on The magic cafe like you are. this discussion is finished.


Laughed at by whom? The guys who try to make a living charging $300 per show :) ...nothing wrong with charging that much but I only listen to the advice and hang around people that are doing what it is I want to do.

And btw...a new blog post will be coming soon about using techniques to "market at the gig"....featuring the long lost B Magic

In the meantime, I'm off to buy a lamborghini, mercedes, and BMW; I buy a couple of cars every year ;)

Again the sarcasm. However you are just telling your usual lies. If anyone goes to the magic cafe and searches you name then follows the thread that you post in there. they will see professionals laughing at you and letting others know what they think. Like in the thread about this blog, when you reacted to someone by bring up the "hotel bashing" blog you made. Many, many professionals stated that YOUR ideas are "low life tactics." say what you want but you are a laughingstock there and we all know it.
For example Starpower (who is "inner Circle' on the cafe said
Quote:
I want to commend Benji for having the guts to post this. However, my observations are:

1. I think Benji is doing this simply to build traffic to his blog. The idea is sketchy at best and I don't feel it's really a valid working concept.

2. The woman shown obviously did not want to do it. She felt cornered into it. She looked awkward and uncomfortable.

3. Benji suggests that the specific video was not the point, but that the method is what we should be paying attention to. On the video, Benji glossed over the fee so quickly that I doubt anyone - the lady being recorded, or the viewers (us) - had any idea what he meant when he mumbled something about a "couple thousand." Had I not first seen his introduction, I would have had NO idea he was giving an example of his fees.

4. IMO it's a terrible strategy. You are HOPING that one of the people you happen upon to record are buyers in a position to hire you, and they understand what the &*$%! you mean by "a couple thousand". Additionally, assuming you DO find that needle in the haystack, you now must hope that the awkward and uncomfortable situation you just put them in will not turn them off from hiring you.

So one of these interviewees supposedly might hire you? It seems to me, the odds are about the same as heading outside and killing mosquitoes with a flyswatter in hopes that one of them is carrying malaria.

Does that prove my point?
Also Sam Sandler (also of the "inner Circle") stated
Quote:
Benji you seem to think that anything but what you do is of any value. this is very troubling to me. you talk down and come off quite full or yourself and well it rubs me the wrong way and most likely rubbing others the wrong way as well.

sure you can post your thoughts and ideas but need to lay off the talking down to others stuff.

please don't get all mad at me I am merely pointing out how you are making me feel and for that reason you may be alienatting others whom you want to help. help is great but I think you are going about some of this in the wrong way with how you comunicate with others.


The reason i bring these up is your blog is trying to tell us HOW TO COMMUNICATE. Yep, proves the old adage "those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

I tried to close this off once, you started it again. let it lay


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 26 Mar 2003
Posts: 550
New Video: Marketing at the Gig featuring B Magic

Blog:
http://paidtoperform.blogspot.com/2011/ ... -gigs.html

Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY61gMK0hcA


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:34 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
from the green place Howie Diddot an Inner Circle member wrote to Benji

"If Benji has actually succeeded with all the special cleaver self promotions that work so well for him, he should be booked solid.

I would be more at ease with Benji activities if he would not attempt to impress us with his marketing ideas and come on to amusingly relate the preposterously insane shenanigans he played on people the night before.

Now that would be entertaining"

Seems the pros over there disagree with Benji


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
born to perform.

Joined: 28 May 2007
Posts: 2753
paddy wrote:

Seems the pros over there disagree with Benji

And Darwin Ortiz disagrees with Jami Ian Swiss about how the pass ought to be done. The disagreement Doesn't take anything away from Ortiz or Swiss. It just means that a student of the pass should listen to both viewpoints and make their own decision. If you follow a piece of Benji's advice and it doesn't work for you....stop using it. Doesn't necessarily make it bad advice. What doesn't work for you might be a great strategy for someone with a different personality, selling a different kind of magic show, in a different market.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Get paid to perform
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:29 am 
User avatar
Offline
Moderator

Joined: 24 Jan 2003
Posts: 4110
Location: Milford OH
eostresh, you're right. The only reason I post this is just because Benji's attitude is that his is the only way. I just want to show people that there are other, more ethical ways of marketing yourself.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2009 Penguin Magic, Inc.