View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Is there much genuine psychology in mentalism?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:28 am 
born to perform.

Bliztmagic wrote:
It's not how you do it, it's how you bring it.

No way!! Blizt is back!!

How goes it my Canadian friend?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:54 am 
Penguin

I know this is an old post but it is an excellent question and therefore I think other visitors may want to read it.

The answer to your question is yes!

I think people think, when you mention psychology and mentalism they jump on the 'try to wrap up mentalism effects into psychological paper'. The truth is it goes much deeper than that, every time you create a misdirection, prepare several outs, generate logic or just hoodwink someone you have tricked a human mind. (that is psychology)

I.E preparing several outs, you have sat and thought of all outcomes, while creating a logic for the reason to throw in a curve ball (if an out is needed) and then sell the whole thing with sincerity, is a form of psychology as it is planned ploy on how to best confuse.

So in a sense everything (neglecting your presentation here as that is the variable you can control) is soaked in psychology if it wasn't (a good point I think Lawboy made) the whole thing is seen as a trick and the effect falls flat.

I leave you with two useless points;

-The hand is quicker than the eye- If the eye does not see a move, does that mean that the move does not exist?

I think this is our (as performers) equivalent to this question,

-if a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?-

On both counts even though we know the logical answer, there is no way to prove either, if we don't see/hear something even though we know it exists, we can't prove it ever has and all we can do is see the outcome (which I hope you know where I have gone with this and can see what point I am pressing).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:47 pm 
Penguin

Yes there is. A lot of my mentilism relies on psychology. Such as thought implant & muscle reading. So yes. Hope that helps! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:40 pm 
born to perform.

arcticflake wrote:
Yes there is. A lot of my mentilism relies on psychology. Such as thought implant & muscle reading. So yes. Hope that helps! :D

I disagree with the above. Muscle reading is not psychology it is simply a phenomenon that would work with any person if they were trying to lead you to the object/location/etc. in their head. It's kind of like saying that the trick where (if you're a male) you put the top of your head against a wall, flat, and keep your back straight, you cannot lift an object straight up, is psychology... and it's not. It just works for everyone.

Thought implanting is a bit of an odd topic to discuss. In my opinion, thought implanting cannot be real. There are strong conjuring examples, but you cannot implant a thought into someone's head using psychology. You can maybe use NLP, but that's not psychology.

However, the above are just my opinions, who knows, I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:48 pm 
born to perform.

I personally prefer to use less psychology in method and more in presentation. Not that it doesn't apply to both.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:26 pm 
Penguin

Nlp is about as real as actual mind reading..... :roll:

There is lots of forms of real psychology in mentalism, everytime you pre emt the way a subject will think or use an equivoque that is a form of psychology.

Muscle reading is a mental and psychical process; it doesn't work on everyone (like Bucky mentioned if they want you to find it they will lead you to it), what constitutes psychology any way?

'Psychology is the science of behaviour and mental processes. Its immediate goal is to understand individuals and groups by both establishing general principles and researching specific cases'.

I think any research into fooling the mind or defying natural logic is toying with the brain, therefore is a form of psychology.

I agree with Eric in the fact the psychology is in the presentation :)

You cannot instantly programme peoples thoughts but I know it can be done over a period of time, the mind is a very fragile thing and should be tampered with carefully ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:41 pm 
born to perform.

eostresh wrote:
I personally prefer to use less psychology in method and more in presentation. Not that it doesn't apply to both.

You are right, and this can be said of both magic and mentalism the presentation brings all kinds of psychology to the table in order to milk the effect for every penny and to misdirect at the right moment.