View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: You know that vlog I said I was gonna start a long time ago.
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:55 pm 
Penguin

Well, I guess I sort of finally got around to making them...here's the first:

Let me know what you think? Or what I could improve on.

I am aware of the smudge or whatever it is on the lens. I cleaned the lens before making this and it was still there, so I'm guessing its permanent or whatever.
I'm also aware that I probably should have spoken a little bit louder and a bit clearer.

Also, here's a link to my channel:
AgentKuo.

I'll probably make it look fancy eventually.

Post subject: Re: You know that vlog I said I was gonna start a long time
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:40 pm 
born to perform.

Here's my thoughts.

1) don't sway when you're talking... either stay still with a tripod or walk around (take a look at Toby's Lazy Vlogs)
2) Mess with your camera angle. Either have it straight at your face or slightly above
3) Are you planning on being more like Toby and unscripted or more like vloggers like sxephil, catrific, and iJustine who are scripted and polished? if you want to be like the former then deff check out Toby's stuff as that should help ya out a lot
4) Did you give yourself an accent?

Hope that helps!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:09 pm 
Penguin

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
Here's my thoughts.

1) don't sway when you're talking... either stay still with a tripod or walk around (take a look at Toby's Lazy Vlogs)

Alright. I don't have a tripod, though, and I don't think I'm gonna get one until I'm sure I'm serious abut doing this officially, or whatever. I guess I could try walking around. I see this a lot in vlogs, but I dunno.
Quote:
2) Mess with your camera angle. Either have it straight at your face or slightly above

Um...okay. Lol, can you please explain more why this is necessary.

Quote:
3) Are you planning on being more like Toby and unscripted or more like vloggers like sxephil, catrific, and iJustine who are scripted and polished? if you want to be like the former then deff check out Toby's stuff as that should help ya out a lot

Okay, I have literally never seen anything by any of the vloggers you listed, but I think eventually I'd like to be scripted and polished, but I dunno about it right now. (I think once I do, if I do, get a tripod, and some decent editing software, I'll start trying to get them more polished.)...Oh wait, yeah I've seen something by iJustine...god is she awful!
Quote:
4) Did you give yourself an accent?

Yes, of course!

Quote:
Hope that helps!

Yeah, it does.

I'll check out Toby.

The vloggers I mostly watch/listen to are:
Dan Brown
Laci Green
Richard Coughlan
Orygyn (new to him)
Evid3nc3 (I guess this would be a vlog)
AgentXPQ (now that he's gonna be making new videos)
Theramintrees (again, if you'd consider these vlogs)
...others I can't think of.

[Update:]
Okay, I watched one of Toby's lazyvlogs, and it was kinda good, but its really not something I can see myself subscribing to. But I see what you're saying about how he films.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:42 pm 
born to perform.

Quote:

Studies show that looking up at a subject is unflattering. This is why all those "myspace pics" were taken above the subject. Essentially think of this way, if you were watching a video would you want to look up their nose?

Quote:
Okay, I have literally never seen anything by any of the vloggers you listed, but I think eventually I'd like to be scripted and polished, but I dunno about it right now. (I think once I do, if I do, get a tripod, and some decent editing software, I'll start trying to get them more polished.)...Oh wait, yeah I've seen something by iJustine...god is she awful!

You don't need good editing software to be a good vlogger. You mentioned LaciGreen... look at her old videos it was just her with a webcam. However you can tell that she had a script. Just a suggestion

Quote:
Yes, of course!

Lose it. It's pretty obvious that its not your natural accent. If it sounded authentic, by all means go ahead and use it, but as it is not at that level yet, ditch it.

Hope that cleared things up

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:05 am 
Penguin

Zenn_Darkfire wrote:
Quote:

Studies show that looking up at a subject is unflattering. This is why all those "myspace pics" were taken above the subject. Essentially think of this way, if you were watching a video would you want to look up their nose?

Quote:

You don't need good editing software to be a good vlogger. You mentioned LaciGreen... look at her old videos it was just her with a webcam. However you can tell that she had a script. Just a suggestion

Quote:
Yes, of course!

Lose it. It's pretty obvious that its not your natural accent. If it sounded authentic, by all means go ahead and use it, but as it is not at that level yet, ditch it.

Oh...I mean, really? I'm seriously just...really...I mean, I've just never met someone who thought it was bad. (This is seriously really shocking to me. But I mean, is this coming from someone who is actually English or someone who just doesn't think I have a good English accent?) And just for your information, its not something I do to sound cool or silly, I do it because I like it better than my own voice. It's not even supposed to be English, it's just sort of an accent I came up with. It has nothing to do with me vlogging. But yeah, whatever, its stupid, I'll lose it.

Quote:
Hope that cleared things up

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:35 am 
born to perform.

I don't know my opinion on the accent, I guess if you talk a certain way long enough it sort of becomes your voice?

As far as the vlog goes, people obviously aren't going to want to watch you talk about your opinion, all stated, in a single unscripted vlog from one camera angle (I agree with the idea if switching the angle). I'm sure you know that though. I like the idea of you putting up videos of who you REALLY are at first so people know if they actually want to watch your videos. The thing about youtube is that its really hard to become popular, especially from vlogs. Most people start on other things and move to vlogs.

Whatever happens I've "known" you on this website for a long time and I'm happy to sub for now and give some better constructive criticism once you transition to more traditional vlogs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:48 am 

Gotta say I agree with Zenn about the phony accent. Part of the reason is if the accent is fake, is the opinion you're saying really yours or just an attempt to cause a controversy? I only got thru about half of it before I shut it down.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:57 am 
Penguin

harrybob10 wrote:
I don't know my opinion on the accent, I guess if you talk a certain way long enough it sort of becomes your voice?

As far as the vlog goes, people obviously aren't going to want to watch you talk about your opinion, all stated, in a single unscripted vlog from one camera angle (I agree with the idea if switching the angle). I'm sure you know that though. I like the idea of you putting up videos of who you REALLY are at first so people know if they actually want to watch your videos. The thing about youtube is that its really hard to become popular, especially from vlogs. Most people start on other things and move to vlogs.

Whatever happens I've "known" you on this website for a long time and I'm happy to sub for now and give some better constructive criticism once you transition to more traditional vlogs.

Yeah, you're certainly right. And thanks

paddy wrote:
Gotta say I agree with Zenn about the phony accent. Part of the reason is if the accent is fake, is the opinion you're saying really yours or just an attempt to cause a controversy? I only got thru about half of it before I shut it down.

Thanks. I'll lose it. You and Zenn are both right, and its no problem using my real voice, really. It got kind of worked up last night when I replied to Zenn's original post, I guess because it was just kind of new to me to get such criticism, but its cool now, you guys are a big help.

I think what I'll do is try out a couple different things and kind of see what works, or what people like.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:39 am 
born to perform.

Yeah I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I hate my voice and would love an accent (part of me wants to move to Australia for a few years just so I can pick up the accent lol) and thats why I was being honest with you. I don't have an accent myself but I do have several british friend (from diff parts of the country) and I also used to study accents. I think you made the right choice. You want your viewers to watch you for who you are. Also if you don't have a tripod, get a cardboard box or stack of boxes. You can set your camera on that (I've done this plenty of times when I don't have a tripod handy, it's ghetto but it works)

Also I think Harrybob gave some great input

If you do have any YouTube questions send me a PM. After I went to that YouTube convention I've been seriously looking into what works and what doesnt on YouTube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:32 pm 

Yea, i thought Zenn was being very restrained in the way he told you about the accent. You know me, I usually start off with one he11 of a dope slap to get your attention, but Zenn was very nice about it. Glad you listened. you have really good ideas, you just have to get the presentation down. Good future in front of you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:04 pm 
Penguin

Thanks again, guys. And please, keep giving me your input.

Hey, so guys, any ideas for what I should talk about in my next vlog?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:50 am 
Penguin

Okay, so I made a new vlog. Hope you enjoy.

One thing I did notice is that the DivX logo pops up in the video. I don't know why that's happening, but I'll fix it in future videos.

Anyway, let me know what you think about how its filmed and all that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:51 am 

MUCH BETTER!!! You come across as a real person not a pompous A$$

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 am 
Team Penguin

Pertaining to the first video, I didn't think the accent sounded fake at all. Sounded pretty natural. Just a TON of "ummmmms"...

...but these things were probably pointed out already. Second video looks MUCH better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:42 pm 
Penguin

Popchris wrote:
Pertaining to the first video, I didn't think the accent sounded fake at all. Sounded pretty natural. Just a TON of "ummmmms"...

...but these things were probably pointed out already. Second video looks MUCH better.

Thank you. And thank you, Paddy.

Honestly though, I speak with an accent or at least incorporate an accent into my daily speach. A lot of the time its subconscious (because I've been doing/practicing so much.) So if it slips in there again (unless its a video about accents), it's not intentional.

And yeah, I noticed I was saying "um..." a lot during the filming of the second one, so I made sure to try not to.