View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Where can I learn these tricks?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:25 pm 
Penguin

Hello penguins, I'll let the video speak for itself.

...Hope this is in the right section.

Post subject: Re: Where can I learn these tricks?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:38 pm 
born to perform.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1657 tivo is the faceup card on top of the deck changes place with the one in the middle; practically the same thing as ur second effect.

first one i pmd you

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:30 pm 
Penguin

jonathan_thegreat wrote:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1657 tivo is the faceup card on top of the deck changes place with the one in the middle; practically the same thing as ur second effect.

first one i pmd you

The TiVo change isn't exactly what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something more straightforward, I guess.

Also, thanks for the PM.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:13 pm 
born to perform.

Okay bud...the answer isn't what you want to hear. Study card magic. Start with royal road and move on from there.

Tivo is actually a fairly direct effect. It has its' draw backs. Chiefly that there is not much spectator involvement. That makes it more "showing off" than magic. Don't get me wrong...I use tevo all the time and I get great reactions from it but I use it as a filler effect. It's a great lead in to Doc Dailey's. What you are planning to do won't be any more direct than Tevo....just that the change is from bottom to middle of the pack as opposed to a top of deck to middle transposition. Little difference to a spectator and I would wager that because you do a Cardini change in Tevo(one of the most visual color changes out there) Tevo would actually have more "punch" than your proposed effect.

As for the simple card change you want to do.....DL. Study that and you have your effect.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:35 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Okay bud...the answer isn't what you want to hear. Study card magic. Start with royal road and move on from there.

Well to start, this is not not what I want to hear.

Quote:
Tivo is actually a fairly direct effect. It has its' draw backs. Chiefly that there is not much spectator involvement. That makes it more "showing off" than magic. Don't get me wrong...I use tevo all the time and I get great reactions from it but I use it as a filler effect. It's a great lead in to Doc Dailey's. What you are planning to do won't be any more direct than Tevo....just that the change is from bottom to middle of the pack as opposed to a top of deck to middle transposition. Little difference to a spectator and I would wager that because you do a Cardini change in Tevo(one of the most visual color changes out there) Tevo would actually have more "punch" than your proposed effect.

I'm not liking Tivo (Its not what I'm looking for.)

Quote:
As for the simple card change you want to do.....DL. Study that and you have your effect.

I'm wondering if there's a way to do it without a DL.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:25 pm 
born to perform.

Tevo works quite well with the Kostya Kimlat's Under Cover Switch. http://store.dananddave.com/on-demand
In Ian Moran's Cullfather(out of stock at Penguin last I checked) he teaches the MC spread DL(MC= Michael Close. That is an excellent way to force a card from the center of the pack and when it comes out of the pack it is doubled with an X card. So it is kind of a forced center DL.

I know Tevo 2.0 is not what you want but I believe that structurally is is almost the same effect. Now if you want to essentially transpose the middle and the bottom card you would have to basically do two simultaneous changes. One of the bottom card and one of the card outjogged in the center. It is possible, and if you could do so(and make it look good) you would get major props in the card community. The way I envision it working is with a cardini change and a duck change. The Duck change(I think I got the right name?...I'll check and edit later) is a real knacky move but the action comes from the right hand and the right hand is in the same position needed to provide cover for the Cardini change so in theory you could do it.

Anyways, all of these moves are pretty advanced stuff. So basically, start by getting your "chops" back from your time away from magic, then start studying this advanced sleight of hand, study effects with similar structures to what you are after, then practice like mad to pull it off. Good luck and know this, even if you can never pull off the exact effect you are looking for, merely studying the material required to do something like that will expand your overall skills and your effect repertoire and make you a better card magician.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:30 pm 
born to perform.

As I am thinking about this I am starting to get a lot more ideas. Let me keep playing around with it and if I get a more elegant solution I'll update you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:46 pm 
Penguin

The first one is in royal road - it's called the push in change.