View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Looking for a good confabulation....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:34 pm 
born to perform.

I'm really playing around with this plot lately. I have a really nice ending presentation for it. The confab comes out of a pill capsule that is inside a glass vial that has been in the view of the audience the whole time. I quite like the presentation but the dirty work that leads up to it may not be as clean as I would like it. So I am looking to research a bit more. I am looking for good confab routines that do not require a show intermission or a back stage assistant. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Attachment:
pill.jpg
pill.jpg [ 35.29 KiB | Viewed 2958 times ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for a good confabulation....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:07 am 
born to perform.

I use Devin Knights Glass Box Prediction.

It is a prediction inside a sealed glass box which is in full view the entire time. You never touch the glass box at any time and they take out the predictions.

The move is sooooo subtle and goes undetected....it is amazing. Doesn't require an assistant and you can set it up within minutes of your show.

Here is a video where I performed the effect (it starts a 3:00)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:01 pm 
Penguin

Very nice performance Benji :)

One word of warning Eric, think before you purchase this item it is an expensive manuscript covering methods you may already know!

It is similar to some work of Lee Earle's and also there is some of the workings in 13 steps and pmm and I just thought I would advise you of that before you spend however many dollars the manuscript is.

There is also something else I don't think a lot of people will like in this manuscript, it is not so subtle and mostly frowned upon.

*But* That aside if you can perform this as smooth as Benji your onto a winner !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:07 pm 
born to perform.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I might pick that up. The big thing I am looking into are all the clever dodges used to secretly write the info down. What I am specifically looking to create is a Confab for close-up and small parlor acts. Maybe what I am doing right now is about as good as it gets but I seriously doubt it. Especially since, other than the switch, all my techniques for obtaining the info are cherry picked from Annemann and Corinda. I'm just assuming that there are other clever methods that have been created since then....? So basically what I know of as far as writing is concerned, is Double writing, swami writing, pocket writing, and Andy Nyman's Dodge. If Devin Knight's glass box discusses any new way of writing, or if it covers any one of those techniques with good routining then I will definitely invest in it. Or, if you have some other references that might help me I'm open to that as well.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 pm 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I might pick that up. The big thing I am looking into are all the clever dodges used to secretly write the info down. What I am specifically looking to create is a Confab for close-up and small parlor acts. Maybe what I am doing right now is about as good as it gets but I seriously doubt it. Especially since, other than the switch, all my techniques for obtaining the info are cherry picked from Annemann and Corinda. I'm just assuming that there are other clever methods that have been created since then....? So basically what I know of as far as writing is concerned, is Double writing, swami writing, pocket writing, and Andy Nyman's Dodge. If Devin Knight's glass box discusses any new way of writing, or if it covers any one of those techniques with good routining then I will definitely invest in it. Or, if you have some other references that might help me I'm open to that as well.

It doesn't, just contains a clever pretence for the one of the aforementioned actions to take place, I have to say the misdirection is very clever and works nicely I can't say too much on the subject as will end up breaching rules.

I think the ideas it offers in the effect in the book is a little poo, Benji's presentation is much cleaner watch this clip a few times and you should twig a method!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:20 pm 
born to perform.

No problem Peter. I'm not looking for exposure. Just trying to clarify what I am after. I would always be interested in clever switches and loads for prediction effects, though, ring boxes, production boxes, and other switching boxes as well as switches and transpositions in general is an area of magic that has always interested me. I have put a lot of time into studying that stuff and since beginning my exploration of Mentalism I have found that that interest and study has paid off well for prediction effects. So in a nut shell, the final phase of a prediction effect, where you load or switch or whatever, is of interest to me but not as much as the phase where you gather and write down the information. That is my weak spot. So if Devin Knights "Glass Box" has a lot of information on that phase of the effect then I'm interested. If it is mostly touted because of the switch it teaches then I'm a little less interested. Does that make any more sense?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:57 pm 
born to perform.

Devin Knight's Glass Box is meant for Newspaper Predictions. I first used it to get into the local newspaper but it is used in my stage show for a confab routine.

I'm not sure how often you perform but it isn't a big deal to double write. People focus on the prediction, not the writing of the information. Only magicians think this part is important.

If you don't want to do any writing then you have to use a force.

But don't wait for the "perfect" method to do this routine because you will search for a long time while other people are performing and making money.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:11 pm 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
Devin Knight's Glass Box is meant for Newspaper Predictions. I first used it to get into the local newspaper but it is used in my stage show for a confab routine.

I'm not sure how often you perform but it isn't a big deal to double write. People focus on the prediction, not the writing of the information. Only magicians think this part is important.

If you don't want to do any writing then you have to use a force.

But don't wait for the "perfect" method to do this routine because you will search for a long time while other people are performing and making money.

Haha! Yep well you are right on that score. Perhaps I am trying to be too perfect. I have performed my confab twice so far using methods I already mentioned and I got HUGE reactions. If you saw my PK-ixel video the last bit is the confab reveal for one of the shows I did. So I'm definitely already performing. For whatever reason I just got it in my head that there should be a more elegant method. Anyways, I'll put Glass Box on my wishlist. I'm sure I'll get some ideas that I can use.

Anyways, thank you both for your time and thoughts.
Cheers,
Erik

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:25 am 
born to perform.

Can you post the video? I didn't see it but I would like to :)

Btw...it just hit me...Luke Jermay has a confab routine but I forgot what its called lol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:36 am 
Penguin

Double writing isn't always an issue there are quicker ways round the writing process (if you know what questions you are going to ask).

I.E

Just a quick idea based on Benji's reveal, (not nearly word for word, just an example)

Get 2 post it pads and stick them on a piece card next to each other (they sell them like this) and write a template like this on One (don't make the mistake of doing two)

Our ideal journey would be to_______, If I know the audience correctly their preferred method of travel would be _______ and the whole journey will cost________.

On one pad just write one word boldly, on the other just fill in the same word on the blank space, it takes you less than a second for each word, (as there is so much writing on the template billet this eliminates anyone thinking you wrote it on the stage when they were called also.

A lovely writing dodge is a one ahead, for example purpose you force them the word aeroplane and you have three questions (a destination, a word and an item) you know you are going to force them aero plane so have this pre written on both billets before you start.

(I'll try illustrate)

Pad 1

_________

_________

Aeroplane

Pad 2

Our ideal journey would be to_______, If I know the audience correctly the will pick a _______ and the chosen will be aeroplane.

Ask them to name a destination write it on one space (pad 2), do not double write yet (psychologically, the first and last words are going to be where people look for odd behaviour, if the first is clean there mind is at ease).

Pad 1

_________

_________

Aeroplane

Pad 2

Our ideal journey would be to France, If I know the audience correctly the will pick a _______ and the chosen will be aeroplane.

Ask them to name and object (double write the name of the object).

Pad 1

_________

Clock

Aeroplane

Pad 2

Our ideal journey would be to France, If I know the audience correctly the will pick a clock and the chosen will be aeroplane.

(you will notice there is only one blank space left)

Finally ask them the word and when they answer, fill in the last blank spot with the destination as you know the word they are going to shout out is aeroplane.

This reduces the double writing down to having to do it once, in the least psychologically suspected place.

Without having to write down

There are rouses to write confabulation stuff on billets without the audience knowing, I agree it is a compromise that could be avoided in order to make the reveal look ultra clean and this the only lacking factor (in my believe).

One is this you have asked them the information bit by bit, (you are going to force them the word aeroplane again) you have performed a piece, then asked them a destination (wrote it on a whiteboard) performed a couple more pieces and asked them an object you wrote this on the whiteboard (you know the third is going to be aeroplane).

Before you force aeroplane (I offer 2 solutions here) you are going to do a name reveal you have already peeked the name, you hold a post it note (the pre written template discussed earlier with aeroplane already written on).

Look at the subject and pretend to be sizing her up for the letters in the name, write down the destination on the template, then the object miss call a letter and then exclaim you are going to try again. In this motion tear off the post it fold it into a quarter (with one hand) place in your pocket.

Ask her to think about the name brightly, make it bold ask her to think of the last letter (write the last letter on the new post it) call it correctly smile and proceed to reveal all the name.

All the information you need for the reveal is already folded safely in your pocket, then just to psychologically sew things up, use the aeroplane force (the billet is already gone!) and then write it down on the white board and call the person with the glass box up :) .

Second one is the exact same premise but my preferred (for which I am claiming rights to), (drawing duplication) rub the stick of half a post it note

I.E

Sticky half Not sticky
____________|____________
|
|
|
|
|
|

Fold the billet into a quarter and then unfold it a few times, (this is so when you go to fold it later it will fold instantly) and stick the post it note to a small white board or pad in the upper right corner and fold it (you can cover this with your hand and show board or pad empty then.

Just before you begin the drawing let the post it fold down, then half way through the drawing add required info to billet and as you come to finish the drawing fold it back up and place your hand back over it for the reveal. as you ask for the applause for the subject, turn you back on to casually place white board down peeling it of into a finger palm.

The great thing here is that the white board covers all action :)

Sorry its not all grammatically correct, just wrote this on the fly!

Hope this helps you in your quest Eric.

Since these are not methods to effects, rather principles (one of my own I shouldn't see them deleting this)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:21 am 
born to perform.

benji11 wrote:
Can you post the video? I didn't see it but I would like to :)

Btw...it just hit me...Luke Jermay has a confab routine but I forgot what its called lol

http://vimeo.com/25577130
There you go. Just the last 6-7 minutes of my show. You get to see the reveal of the confab but I didn't get any footage of the phase where I get the info. That all happens as build up to my drawing dupe. Anyways the reveal starts at about 3:50. Oh and my camera broke just prior to the show so the video and audio quality is crap....Oh well.

I'll brows through the Jermay books I have and the descriptions of his books on-line. I can hopefully figure it out. Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 am 
born to perform.

@Peter
That is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for. I think it is brilliant and very kind of you to post it. Besides...you know how much I like Post-it mentalism! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 pm 
born to perform.

I just wanna say this looks great.

Lol I wish I had more constructive things to add to the discussion. I had head Devin Knights products weren't exactly up to a great standard. He was described on the wizard product review as a man with many ideas but no filter for good and bad ideas lol. Still I think this is solid and I think I may have an idea as to the method from Benji's vid. Not that you did anything wrong there mate just that I can smell when someone's trying to misdirect me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:03 am 
born to perform.

Joshua Quin's Paralies has a very good one. I like the backwards thinking of it.

In Magic,
Tyler