View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: An observation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:11 am 
Penguin

Just a quick question.
I was watching a performance when I noticed the magician go into an overhand shuffle from the same hand he held the cards in, let me clarify
Im left handed and I hold the cards in the right hand, for an overhand shuffle ill reach over with my left hand, cradle the cards in my left hand and shuffle with my right.
Which way is more common?

Post subject: Re: An observation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:47 am 
born to perform.

Well, I'm right handed, and usually hold the cards in my left hand in mechanic's grip. When it comes time for an overhand shuffle, I transfer the deck into my right hand and pull cards off into my left. I'm sure this varies from person to person, however.

Sean

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:08 am 
Penguin

The first volume of Card College goes over how to properly (In Giobbi's opinion) hold the deck and perform an overhand shuffle. I found this section immensely helpful in learning handling that will serve you better as you learn more.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:12 pm 
Penguin

I'm right-handed. I hold the deck in my left hand, and pull off cards with my right hand during an overhand shuffle.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 am 
Penguin

Flappy2 wrote:
I'm right-handed. I hold the deck in my left hand, and pull off cards with my right hand during an overhand shuffle.

This is more common, because southpaws aren't as common as righties.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:31 am 
born to perform.

I'm right-handed, and I hold the cards in dealer's grip in my left hand. Then I transfer to the left hand for overhand shuffles and pull off cards with my left.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:43 pm 
Penguin

We ought to just teach ourselves to comfortably shuffle with both hands.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 am 
Penguin

Makes sense if you are into cardistry. I keep my ambidexterity though for contact juggling. Spectators really don't care how I shuffle my deck. They would care though if I shuffle any other way than I usually do.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:16 pm 
Penguin

sam_cribb92 wrote:
Just a quick question.
I was watching a performance when I noticed the magician go into an overhand shuffle from the same hand he held the cards in, let me clarify
Im left handed and I hold the cards in the right hand, for an overhand shuffle ill reach over with my left hand, cradle the cards in my left hand and shuffle with my right.
Which way is more common?

I am right handed, but I deal cards left handed!! :) The over hand shuffle, where I use injogs, out jogs, and can count up to 13 cards swishing off the top, with the deck in my right hand.

I do it the same way, and to tell the truth can't do it the other way. I deal seconds out of sight the same way, the deck in my right hand. I learned that way.

Also, I don't know about a magic performance, I was doing my shuffling in real live gambling. I guess you can call it a performance, because I was doing something at a table, and I was the only one knowing what I was doing, everybody else were unaware. Proof of that was, I came away with all the money.. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:24 pm 
Penguin

Since the topic is over hand shuffle, how many of you can COUNT, with the overhand shuffle?
I am retired now, but I used to be able to do the overhand shuffle, and this is the course of running up a hand, I could count all the way up to 13 cards, culled them off with in injog and then throw them back on top, and then finish the rest of the run up. I used to practice going all the way to 13 cards, that made it easy work when I just had to go to 6 or 7, which was the average amount I needed to go to in running up a hand.

And that count would take something like 2 seconds too. Ha, just for the fun of it, while I was typing this message, I ran into the kitchen and grabbed deck of cards that my wife was playing gin rummy with, did the over hand shuffle, and shot off 13 cards, injog, did the over throw to put them on top, but stopped and proceeded to count them. I was dead on with 13 cards. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 pm 
born to perform.

haha That's awesome Mr. Howard. Hope I still have my moves when I'm your age!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:13 am 
Penguin

eostresh wrote:
haha That's awesome Mr. Howard. Hope I still have my moves when I'm your age!

Naw, my moves are very, very rusty. On topic with which hand to use with the overhand shuffle. My recommendation would be to use the hand you started/learned with. Like I said, I am right handed, but I deal cards left-handed. Been that way all my life.

Wish my moves were there, I would make a couple vids. 8) Even back in the day when I was active and very sharp, I still practiced, even when I was real good, I would pratice some before a game. My shuffle was my bread and butter, it had to be precise and yet innocent looking all at that same time. I think those two factors would apply to a magic performance too. The performer would have to be precise in order to make the trick work, and the performer would also have to make it look ordinary or innocent in order for the audience to be unaware. 8)