View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Movie Cliche's
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:04 pm 
born to perform.

As far as topics on this forum goes the most popular ones are usually about movies now days, so I got a cool idea today to post a thread about the most cliche moments in movies that when you see you just say "Oh man not again"

1. A cop is talking to someone pretending to be a cop, they make a reference to a bunch of "Code 34's running around" the pretend cop agrees and is found out because a "Code 34" is a naked person etc.

2. 911 does not believe a legitimate phone call, seriously I see this so often and it annoys the crap out of me.

Those are the first two that came to mind today.

Post subject: Re: Movie Cliche's
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:31 am 
Penguin

harrybob10 wrote:
As far as topics on this forum goes the most popular ones are usually about movies now days

Llol, so true.
Quote:
, so I got a cool idea today to post a thread about the most cliche moments in movies that when you see you just say "Oh man not again"

1. A cop is talking to someone pretending to be a cop, they make a reference to a bunch of "Code 34's running around" the pretend cop agrees and is found out because a "Code 34" is a naked person etc.

lol, I feel like I've seen this, but can you give an example?

Quote:
2. 911 does not believe a legitimate phone call, seriously I see this so often and it annoys the crap out of me.

Lmao! ALL THE TIME! Though I like how they switched this up a bit in the movie Vacancy.

Well, as most of you know, I watch a TON of horror movies, so most of mine will probably be from horror movies:

Horror movie cliche's:
1.Deformed people who kill people. (And by extension, rednecks) (The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, A Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. etc. etc.) I like these movies, but come on.

2.Anything supernatural happens, they bring in a priest or psychic. (With the exception of Exorcism movies) (Insidius, The Amityville Horror, The Haunting in Connecticut, etc.) Okay, maybe this one isn't so much a cliche, but it does get annoying.

3.No cell phone signal. (pretty much every horror movie where they want to call the police or where they're stranded somewhere). Come on, think of something original, we have 3G now!

4.Cop is trying to calm the victim down and then gets killed himself.

5.Jump Scene's. (99% of horror movies) Biggest cliche there is in horror movies today. You don't have to get a cheap jump to scare someone...in fact, its usually the slow, suspenseful reveals that really make your heart race. (mine anyway.)

6.Fake jump scene's. (With increasing popularity) Music builds up, and then its just the friend or relative.

7.Car won't start. ("My car won't start!" "Well maybe there's a killer after you." -Mitch Hedberg)

If I think of more later, I'll post 'em. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:04 am 
born to perform.

Yes to all of those, seriously they all get so annoying. Especially number 4 oh my god.

The most recent example I have seen of the cop one is in Live Free or Die Hard, he does exactly what I wrote with one of the main villains in the movie over the phone.

3. They build up a scare in the mirror in a horror movie but there is nothing there. Seriously this is in half of current horror movies.

4. This is not so much a cliche as it is something that annoys me, and the only example I can think of is in the new Captain America so spoilers. I hate it when the main guy essentially gets the girl to only have her die/him be sent to another time and she would wind up old or dead. It always just bugs me haha.

5. The bad guy who has come back from the dead one million times is "dead" and you don't think he is just going to get up and rock your world in two minutes unless you...were to put him in a blender or something. (Friday the 13th)

6. Poking the body of a dead bad guy with a stick, you just shot him and your trying to be gentle in seeing if he's alive? He's obviously just going to grab your leg. Throw a chainsaw at him or something.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:31 pm 
Penguin

harrybob10 wrote:
Yes to all of those, seriously they all get so annoying. Especially number 4 oh my god.

The most recent example I have seen of the cop one is in Live Free or Die Hard, he does exactly what I wrote with one of the main villains in the movie over the phone.

3. They build up a scare in the mirror in a horror movie but there is nothing there. Seriously this is in half of current horror movies.

Yes! This is related to my #6, Fake Jump Scenes.

Quote:
4. This is not so much a cliche as it is something that annoys me, and the only example I can think of is in the new Captain America so spoilers. I hate it when the main guy essentially gets the girl to only have her die/him be sent to another time and she would wind up old or dead. It always just bugs me haha.

Yeah, its kind of cliche.

Quote:
5. The bad guy who has come back from the dead one million times is "dead" and you don't think he is just going to get up and rock your world in two minutes unless you...were to put him in a blender or something. (Friday the 13th)

6. Poking the body of a dead bad guy with a stick, you just shot him and your trying to be gentle in seeing if he's alive? He's obviously just going to grab your leg. Throw a chainsaw at him or something.

Oh man, similar to this one:
8.Female character has the opportunity to shoot/kill the badguy, but instead runs away crying/screaming. (This one is so specific, but it happens all the time!)

9.(In Zombie movies): (Character A gets infected)
B: We have to kill them
C (love interest): No, no, we can't!
B: He's gonna become one of them and you know it!
C: Okay...I'll do it.
...waits until A turns into a zombie *Boom* (shoots) *cries*

10.(Also in zombie movies): If a main character gets infected they take a ridiculously long time to change compared to the non-main characters.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:21 pm 
born to perform.

Anyone familiar with TV Tropes? It's a pseudo-wiki of the tropes/idioms (not necessarily cliches) found in tv, movies, videogames, etc.

I personally hate the Bottomless Magazines where guns never run out of bullets.

Also: Just Between You and Me in which any villain will explain his plan to the hero instead of shooting them.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 pm 
Penguin

TeKNoSTyLeZ wrote:
Anyone familiar with TV Tropes? It's a pseudo-wiki of the tropes/idioms (not necessarily cliches) found in tv, movies, videogames, etc.

Of course! :D

Quote:
I personally hate the Bottomless Magazines where guns never run out of bullets.

Lol, yeah, this is pretty prominant in almost every movie that uses guns.

Quote:
Also: Just Between You and Me in which any villain will explain his plan to the hero instead of shooting them.

Uh huh, This actually originated in comic books, where the character would say something obvious to them out loud so that the reader knew.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:14 pm 
Penguin

My favorite is in action movies.

The hero is caught by the villain,
The villain creates an elaborate way to do away with the hero,
The hero escapes just in time.

Why doesn’t the villain just shoot the hero on the spot and be done with it?

Twist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:08 pm 
Penguin

twist592 wrote:
Why doesn’t the villain just shoot the hero on the spot and be done with it?

This seriously NEEDS to happen in a movie. And, by extension (as this cliche is also used in video games) in a video game.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 pm 
born to perform.

The hero (almost) ALWAYS wins in the end.

If he is cool (no matter if good or evil) he walks away from an explosion in slow motion. THIS IS NOT POSSIBLE.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:38 pm 
born to perform.

How about the hilarious hijinks two people get into when their souls have magically switched bodies? It's been done like a million times before and is being re-done now with Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds. Getting sick of that premise.

I do agree that a villian should at least once just get to shoot the hero in the face right when he has him. Might be a good idea for a sketch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:47 pm 
Penguin

bucky310 wrote:
How about the hilarious hijinks two people get into when their souls have magically switched bodies? It's been done like a million times before and is being re-done now with Jason Bateman and Ryan Reynolds. Getting sick of that premise.

The Change-Up was hilarious, though...

I think in Burn After Reading, the main good guy gets shot in the face right in the middle of the movie. I didn't see it, but I think I remember hearing that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 am 
born to perform.

As much as I love the American Pie movies, and stupid teen movies in general, you would think that a team of writers could write a good story revolving around something other than loosing your virginity. I know that the sex and immaturity thing is a big aspect of these movies, but honestly I cannot read another description of "Four teens make a pact to loose there virginity by the end of high school, its senior year and prom is their last chance."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:01 am 
Penguin

harrybob10 wrote:
As much as I love the American Pie movies, and stupid teen movies in general, you would think that a team of writers could write a good story revolving around something other than loosing your virginity. I know that the sex and immaturity thing is a big aspect of these movies, but honestly I cannot read another description of "Four teens make a pact to loose there virginity by the end of high school, its senior year and prom is their last chance."

Lol, yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:11 pm 
born to perform.

Flappy2 wrote:

Ugh, nothing about that movie looks funny. Speaking of cliche, how about scat jokes?

Quote:
I think in Burn After Reading, the main good guy gets shot in the face right in the middle of the movie. I didn't see it, but I think I remember hearing that.

You should see it, it doesn't fit as "villain shoots the good guy" because Brad Pitt isn't much of a good guy. In fact there aren't really any "good guys" in the movie at all, and I would argue that Brad Pitt getting shot in the face is one of the funniest moments. The whole movie is weird.

harrybob10 wrote:

It seems like teen movies have been less frequent lately, or maybe my mind is automatically trying to filter them out of my memory.

Another common thing is when two people are talking on a cellphone, they never say goodbye before hanging up. I understand that it can break the flow of the scene but it just irks me. Oh, and hearing a dial tone on a cell phone, that just doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:23 am 
Penguin

TeKNoSTyLeZ wrote:
Flappy2 wrote:

Ugh, nothing about that movie looks funny.

Well yes, judging by the trailers, it looked awful. But as most of us know, you can NEVER judge a movie based on its trailer. Sure there were some stupid parts, but overall, it was a really excellent and hilarious movie.
Quote:
Speaking of cliche, how about scat jokes?

Agreed. To an extent.

Quote:
Quote:

You should see it, it doesn't fit as "villain shoots the good guy" because Brad Pitt isn't much of a good guy. In fact there aren't really any "good guys" in the movie at all, and I would argue that Brad Pitt getting shot in the face is one of the funniest moments. The whole movie is weird.

Lol, I'll definitely check it out.

Quote:
Another common thing is when two people are talking on a cellphone, they never say goodbye before hanging up. I understand that it can break the flow of the scene but it just irks me. Oh, and hearing a dial tone on a cell phone, that just doesn't make sense.

Yes. To all of this.