View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Latest Halloween Costumes Props
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:23 am 
Emperor Penguin

Feels good to be back after over a year off! I have been really busy designing costumes full-time as I stated in my other threads, and my popularity has really grown. So just thought I would post a thread to share some of my latest creations. You can see them all on my youtube account as well: http://www.youtube.com/user/sirbrad4

Jason Takes Manhattan Costume/Life-sized

Post subject: Re: My Latest Halloween Costumes Props
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 am 
Emperor Penguin

Freddy VS Jason

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:44 am 
Emperor Penguin

Jason Lives Tombstone Prototype made of insulation styrofoam, was my first attempt and came out great!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:47 am 
Emperor Penguin

Jason Lives Tombstone Prototype made of insulation styrofoam, was my first attempt and came out great!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:32 pm 
Team Penguin

I look forward to these threads every year :) Good stuff! You must be the guy that gives out all the good candy ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:24 pm 
Penguin

Sirbrad, have you ever done any horror-game costumes or props? It seems the majority of your costumes and props are related to horror movies (classics mostly, too.) I was just wondering if you've ever done, or considered doing anything from Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Dead Space, F.E.A.R. or any other horror game.

I was also wondering if you've done any of these, or thought about doing them. Chromeskull, Leatherface, Seed, The killer from Cry Wolf, The Riverton Ripper (My Soul to Take), Ben Willis (I Know What You Did Last Summer).

I guess by extension, I'm asking, what inspires you to choose to make a costume. What is the most popular request you get, and what is (or are) some of the weirdest requests you've gotten? (If you don't mind sharing all this.)

Another thing I was wondering was, how do you start a new costume? (Like what is the process from beginning to end...in the simplest possible explanation). And how would someone like me, who has no experience in this line of work, get started?

Sorry for all the questions, I hope you don't mind.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:25 pm 
Emperor Penguin

http://www.michael-myers.net/phpBB/view ... =5&t=82895

Here is a link to my Terminator costume since there are too many pics to copy and I don't have the time now. My first one and making the gun from foam and PVC pipe from scratch, so far turned out great! Now adding the aged steel weathering so it does not look so new.

Check out the thread for lots more pics and videos on youtube as well.

Last edited by sirbrad on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:27 pm 
Emperor Penguin

girspiggy wrote:
I look forward to these threads every year :) Good stuff! You must be the guy that gives out all the good candy ;)

I am actually too busy at events to stay home, and I am a local celebrity around Halloween, and with magic the rest of the time, so always very busy. I win every contest I enter, but I do it more so for the fans and to entertain them with my character portrayals.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:50 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Flappy2 wrote:
Sirbrad, have you ever done any horror-game costumes or props? It seems the majority of your costumes and props are related to horror movies (classics mostly, too.) I was just wondering if you've ever done, or considered doing anything from Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Fatal Frame, Dead Space, F.E.A.R. or any other horror game.

I was also wondering if you've done any of these, or thought about doing them. Chromeskull, Leatherface, Seed, The killer from Cry Wolf, The Riverton Ripper (My Soul to Take), Ben Willis (I Know What You Did Last Summer).

I guess by extension, I'm asking, what inspires you to choose to make a costume. What is the most popular request you get, and what is (or are) some of the weirdest requests you've gotten? (If you don't mind sharing all this.)

Another thing I was wondering was, how do you start a new costume? (Like what is the process from beginning to end...in the simplest possible explanation). And how would someone like me, who has no experience in this line of work, get started?

Flappy2 wrote:

Thanks, yeah I do mostly horror and some Sci-fi like the Terminator, and I do a lot of props and weapons as well. I have a lot of new surprises in the works, but I don't say what I am doing until I do them to keep it a surprise. I get a lot of video game offers but the ones I do are hard enough as it is, and the video games ones usually have a lot of complex armors etc which would make the cost way more than most would want to pay, and of course most of the ones who request them are kids with no money lol.

So I stick to movie characters mostly. Many people always ask me "how" to do it or want tutorials, but I would never have that kind of time. Plus I don't have any one system, I kind of wing each one to make them unique, and don't even have the time to write down all I do, and it always changes anyway. Most would not be able to do it anyway as it does take artistic talent, and I learned on my own after many years of trial and error. I just kept trying things and trying to replicate the characters as best as I could. I had no idea it would turn into a job, and that I would be designing them at this level, which only continues to improve.

I never knew I would be shipping costumes all over the world for others, and achieve the popularity I have now, which also continues to grow. I also looked around online at forums and tried to pick up tips here and there, and you can also buy a lot of books and DVDS on special FX make-up etc. Youtube teaches you some stuff as well. But you definitely have to have the talent in you as the work is not easy, and it sure helps when you have studied and practiced for about 30 years. But I took my work to a new level about 5 years ago.

I started out making costumes as a kid in the early 80's, mostly easy stuff, and just progressed from there. I can do a lot more, and do some sculpting as well. But I stay busy enough with costumes and props as it is. I just make what people request. The New Blood Jason is by far the most popular, and also one of the most detailed, as well most time consuming to make. So that makes it one of the most expensive as well. I have a lot of Leatherface stuff coming actually, maybe one from each movie and am working on the remake next year, it is gonna be sick!

I actually have a lot of unique personal projects in the works, but do not have the time to finish them since I have to make costumes for others so often. But I am just glad to do something I love for a living, or two things I love now actually, (magic/costumes) as well as some other jobs online and off. I used to be a hardcore gamer, and I have made a SWAT costume which was not completed. But lately have not had time for games. So I just stick to what I know and what most people request. Costumes require so many steps, mixtures of paints, washes, dry brushing, sealing, fraying, latex work, molds, etc. It does not come easy but you have to keep at it and it gets a little easier if you do it a lot. I have made Jason, Myers, and Freddy costumes since I was a kid, and most still want Jason costumes overall.

I got a lot of stuff in the works though but it just takes awhile to get it all out there, I am only just beginning! I also wanted to check out the books and DVDS on the market but have not had a chance, luckily I am very creative and ideas just come to me, as with magic. But it helps when it is your life lol. It is Halloween at my house 365 days a year. But yeah I will be doing a lot more stuff and maybe some non-horror as well, but only when get free time in between work. Just do a lot of research and see what is out there, and try it yourself. It is not easy as I said, and it does require some talent and a lot of skills, and I was always an artist before designing costumes so that helped some. I might also be customizing some Chucky dolls, and want to get into sculpting masks and figures sometime.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:02 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Oh yeah speaking of forums, a great place to start is the http://www.therpf.com/replica-movie-costumes/ forums, it is loaded with other awesome costumes and props, and tips on how to make them. I also plan on doing some superhero ones, and there are a lot of them on that forum. Some have made awesome costumes like Iron Man completely out of cardboard or foam. I also plan on doing some Ghostbusters costumes, proton packs, ghost traps PKE meters, and all the other tools they use.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:35 pm 
Penguin

That's awesome, man, thanks for taking the time to answer, I really appreciate it.

Also, I've made an account on The RPF. So I'm hoping some of the members can help me get started.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:47 pm 
Emperor Penguin

No problem, thanks for asking about my costumes. There are a lot of tutorials there to help get you started, not sure how thorough they are but eventually should get you on the right track to creating some stuff.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:54 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Holy [edited] I am keeping this one! Lol. Adding the finishing touches on the New Blood costume/life-sized.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:38 am 
Emperor Penguin

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:33 pm 
Emperor Penguin

Got it about 90% done, still got to work on the shotgun which I stripped down, and I have to paint up to look aged and older like my M1919A4, as opposed to shiny, new and black. I wanted the official lever action shotgun but no one had it in stock and it is way too expensive anyway. So I am just using a pump one as a secondary firearm over my shoulder, since my main gun is the T3 M19194A I made. The mask is by John Thomas and the best one overall that I could find as far as wearing and displaying. I wanted a silicone one from HSS studios but they are also very expensive and not wearable. But I love the details on this mask. I also put in a glass eye and it looks creepily real. Also has a red LED light installed, and the blue lights I made in the chest piece, one blinking and one always on with quick changeable battery options. This was more of a costume for me than a life-sized, so I bought clothes that would be kinda big on me and slightly small on the mannequin. So I could not bulk it up more as the clothes are already tight. I might do another version fully bulked later if I get bigger clothes for a life-sized.

I also plan on doing one more battle damaged version with more damage and endo arm. Here are some pics of my work in progress, and got some videos coming soon! I am very happy with how it came out and plan on doing more later.