View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Industrial Revelation Review
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:48 pm 
Penguin

Industrial Revelation by Jamie D. Grant

http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2001/07/industrial-revelation.html

Effect: The performer shows a playing card box, and pushes a knife and coins through a slit in the box. Of course, the spectators are convinced that the box is empty, until the magcican opens it up and out slides a 1.5 pound (700gm) block of solid steel!

Price: C$125.00

Teaching: This doesn't come with a DVD, but then one isn't required. Most people have seen Matchbox Penetration, and IR is Jamie's take on that effect. However, after you place your order, Jamie is aware that there will be a wait while he constructs your gimmick. So, within a few days, you receive the first of three emails. The first one has tips and tricks to help you to handle your IR more efficiently. The others are about the construction of Industrial Revelation. When you finally receive your parcel, there is an awesome-looking instruction sheet included in the box, which tells you all you need to know.

Quality of materials: When my package arrived (I knew instantly what it was, due to the weight!) I ripped open the postage bag and couldn't believe the packaging. Jamie has spared no expense in the presentation of this thing. The box is in black corrugated cardboard, with a heavy paper band around it and a wax seal on the paper. The seal contains a coin that you can use in your presentation (yes, he's thought of everything!). The box is lined with padding to keep the gimmick safe, and there is the aforementioned awesome-looking instruction sheet (I'm not being facetious - the instructions are incredibly artistic).

The block itself is brilliantly constructed, and I fully believe Jamie when he says that he's spent years getting this thing perfect. There is a little something that is visible to the performer when the light hits it a certain way, but I believe that the spectator will be so busy picking their eyes up off the floor that they won't see a thing. And the block is tough! It's literally solid steel. I know - I dropped it and there wasn't even a dent in it!

Also, Jamie really cares about after-sales service. I've sent him a few emails both before and after I received IR, and I've been astounded as to how quickly he replies. I have to say that he truly seems like a really nice guy, and he's a pleasure to deal with.

Difficulty: Industrial Revelation is not in the least bit difficult to perform, However, it will take a lot of thought and practice to perform it well. Jamie has spent a lot of time on this, and it can absolutely floor your spectators if it is presented in the correct way. Some people on another forum have said that it's not magical; it's just a puzzle. If you fail to put enough thought into your presentation, yes. But we're magicians, and presentation should be carefully planned for everything we do. That's what makes anything we perform both entertaining and magical.

This is, to me, a definite closer of a walk-around routine. Once you have presented this to a group of spectators, there is no point in trying to top it with anything else. Pack up your things and move to the next group. One point is that you do need to go somewhere quiet to reset it, if you want to perform it again, so you need to carefully pick your table/group when you do present it. All you need to do is to just disappear off to the toilet for a few seconds. And, once you get used to handling it, a few seconds is really all you'll need.

All-in-all, I think this is money well-spent, although I'm tempted to give it a bad review so there are fewer people performing it! But Jamie's been so great answering my emails, that I haven't the heart to do that to him! So, this is awesome for the close-up worker. I'm performing at a wedding in a couple of weeks, and Industrial Revelation is going to feature in my pre-show walkround set.

Overall Rating: 10/10 - An absolute must for the worker.

Post subject: Re: Industrial Revelation Review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:30 am 
Penguin

Great review!

I've thought of buying this trick for a long time now. The only downside seems to be the price, but then again you get what you pay for. This will probably be the mainthing on my wishlist this christmas.

Thanks! c:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:57 am 
Penguin

Yes, the price originally made me hesitate also. However, on the plus side, the price means that only serious magicians will be buying it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:48 am 
Penguin

Thats right! Penguinmagic should make a like-button for the forum...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 am 
Penguin

[edited]? Hahahaha this is good!

Can I ask questions in PM?

And btw, why Penguin doesn't have this?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:06 am 
born to perform.

no one sales this besides the guy who created it lol