View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Walkaround Magic Opener?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:30 am 

tomstian wrote:
paddy wrote:
You don't! That is not the way to get started, you have them come to you. Walking up to a stranger and asking "want to see a trick?" only gets the person nervous thinking "who is this idiot and is he safe?"

Look at some of the you tube showing buskers at work. Jimmy Talksalot, Kozmo, Gazzo, Bobby Maverick people like that who make their living busking.

what about david blaine and other magican that just walk up to somebody. not everybody is sitting in one place busking

David Blaine and Angel do NOT walk up to strangers. They walk up to actors that are paid to do that. They have rehearsed that so much they know how he does the trick. You really think that Blaine, Angel, etc are real? Guess Santa is real too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:55 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
tomstian wrote:
paddy wrote:
You don't! That is not the way to get started, you have them come to you. Walking up to a stranger and asking "want to see a trick?" only gets the person nervous thinking "who is this idiot and is he safe?"

Look at some of the you tube showing buskers at work. Jimmy Talksalot, Kozmo, Gazzo, Bobby Maverick people like that who make their living busking.

what about david blaine and other magican that just walk up to somebody. not everybody is sitting in one place busking

David Blaine and Angel do NOT walk up to strangers. They walk up to actors that are paid to do that. They have rehearsed that so much they know how he does the trick. You really think that Blaine, Angel, etc are real? Guess Santa is real too.

yes I think david blaine is real do you think he got tara banks to act for him or the people in africa and when he travel around?
angel I know have alot of actors.
david blaine talk in a interview with leonardo that he just walk up to someone and ask if they want too see something, and often people just look weird at him and walk away.
he also did a trick at the president and i dont think the president gonna act.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:01 pm 

Ok, You're right. I never argue with a fool because people may not be able to tell the difference. I am glad that all your experience has shown you that Blaine is a "real magician" instead of an actor pretending to be one. I've only been a professional for about 20 years so I bow to your superior knowledge.

Paddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 pm 
born to perform.

paddy wrote:
David Blaine and Angel do NOT walk up to strangers.

This is the video he was referring to, in which they both walk up to strangers:

LOL at the David Copperfield clip.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:14 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Ok, You're right. I never argue with a fool because people may not be able to tell the difference. I am glad that all your experience has shown you that Blaine is a "real magician" instead of an actor pretending to be one. I've only been a professional for about 20 years so I bow to your superior knowledge.

Paddy

you say they dont walk up too stranger look at the video, and in the dvd art of magic by W.H, arron fisher and dan and dave talk about at david blaine made magic cool, that he just walked up to someone with out any stage and showed them something.
In the same dvd i think it was aaron fisher that is talking about how cool street magic is for he can just walk up to somebody when ever he wants.

So you are saying its wrong too walk up too somebody?
and many do it like dynamo, david blaine, wayne houchin and many more. and you have alot of dvd on how to approach somebody on the street,
there magican talk about how difficult it is too just approach somone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:56 pm 
Penguin

Paddy, we love you, well at least I do. The thing is we know you are old school and that is awesome cause if you weren't you would not be you. There are a lot of new school guys now though. Magic has changed and is now able to be done by walking up to people. Blaine does it with real people for sure because in his new special "Discover Magic" he asks a couple at the end of an effect if they will sign a release form to have it aired on TV. Now Chris Sarantakos on the other hand I can't speak for because I still do not buy into the fact that he does amazing things for "random" people on the street. I busk in the summer months but I also do my fair share of going to social hot spots and mingling around and do the walk up thing also. I find it fun and exciting.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:45 am 

Trex, I've said everything I'm going to on this subject. Actors get paid to act.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:39 am 
Penguin

paddy wrote:
Trex, I've said everything I'm going to on this subject. Actors get paid to act.

yes actor get paid, but its a diffrent. why are everyone else wrong and you right, because you have 20 year of experience

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:04 am 
Penguin

tomstian wrote:
paddy wrote:

yes actor get paid, but its a diffrent. why are everyone else wrong and you right, because you have 20 year of experience

That is SO well said. I am sorry Mr. Paddy, but your answers are often very condecending, and you speak as if you know everything! As soon as someone challenges you on something, you go right into the defensive and pull a sarcastic comment with an "ace of experience" out of your magic hat. Maybe you should try listening to what some of the magicians inhere could teach YOU? I have only had 8 years of experience, and I respect where you are coming from. But I would like you to concider how superior and rude you can come across as, when answering peoples questions inhere.

Thank you

-Widding

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:53 pm 
Penguin

A man I know that is always at the Magic Castle once told me that there is a book in the secret library that is titled, "Everything I Know About Magic" it looks like a thick book but when opened it is completely blank. Just speaks at the fact that yes some people have 30 years in the art and others 3 months it doesn't just mean the inexperienced can only learn from the experienced , but vice versa also.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:53 am 
Penguin

Use a shill. Have a friend-who is pretending to be a stranger-standing there. Walk up to him, and do a trick for him. Others will see, mill around, and ask you to do more tricks for them. Pull your best tricks from the start.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 pm 
Penguin

I got a funny from the spongeball dvd at the magic shop in universal, you walk up with your purse frame, ask "did anybody here lose this purse?" they say no, "oh, well could you keep an eye out for me? i think it belongs to a magician, because when i look inside it, theres this magic wand and i think it belongs to him." then you produce your wand from the purse, "well, i lied to you, this is my purse, and its my wand, im the magician, and i was WANDerin :lol: if you would like to see some magic. (at this point i like to do the buckler? i think its called when you hit the wand or pen or something on your knee and it vanishes into thin air. and then reproduce the wand from the purse agian or just ditch it in my back pocket. hope this helps :D )

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:08 am 
Penguin

Hildner, are you from LA? I thought the Wizards shop closed years ago. I haven't seen it in a while

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:10 am 
born to perform.

Redline by Dan Hauss looked like a killer opener. Saw it for the first time on the penguin live lecture. Something that seems harmless, but so deadly. I dont have it but would like to get it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:03 am 
Penguin

I am not from L.A., and the place was called Theatre Magic, they have a lot of beginner tricks and things, its a great place to get started. and how was the online lecture?! i was really disappointed i did not get to watch, i had a wrestling tournament that night :(