View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Question...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 pm 
Penguin

What would be the best age to start performing magic on the street? I am a teen but don't know if I'm too young to find strangers to perform for. When did you start? What do you think would be the minimum age?
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Question...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:23 am 

If you mean Blaineing, then the minimum age is 100 yrs old, but only if both parents are alive.

If you mean Busking, then it is when you have a SOLID sidewalk act that you can do flawlessly. Then repeat the act for new crowds.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:30 pm 
Penguin

I am more interested in "Blaineing". But seriously what would be a good age? 14, 16, 18, 20...???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 am 

I was serious when I talked about blaineing. DON'T DO IT!! busking is the only true street magic, also you find out how good you are at every show. Fat hats means your good, bad hats mean you need to improve.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:33 am 
Penguin

Guerilla warfare magic is, imo, a bad idea. You don't realize of all those times on Blaine's show or Chris's show where they are actually performing magic to a pedestrian just how many pedestrians simply walked by and ignored them.

Think of it from their view point. They are minding their own business when someone they don't know comes up to them and asks them to show them something. Think of what could be going through their mind. "What does this person want? Is this a possible scam? Am I possibly in danger?" I can tell you from experience guerilla warfare magic does not work. People get very defensive when you suddenly approach them and ask them to listen to you.

Busking is a far more preferable way of not only performing magic for pedestrians, but doing so in a way that does not get in your audiences face and makes them feel threatened. You set up shop and those who are interested will stay and watch (And possibly give you money).

As for what age to start, I'd suggest the age where you are willing to dedicate yourself to something (And that can really be anything).

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:49 am 
born to perform.

OK here's a real answer:

Look in your town and surrounding towns for fairs and festivals. These are events where people come in groups, are relaxed, bring the kids and dog, and are actually looking for entertainment.

You'll have 4-5 per year, a Christmas one coming up most likely. Now call them, say you're a local magician and would love to entertain the crowd for free with walk around magic. Be sure to mention that you're not selling anything.

99% chance they'll say yes. And often even get you a free table where you can perform.

Many towns also have Christmas parades. There's a LARGE time delay between when people show up and are bored, and the parade starts. They would love to see some free magic there as well, just bail after it begins.

Drag your mom/dad/brother/guardian along and go have fun.

Now go look for flea markets. You'll find several. Call the organizer, and say the same thing. You'd love to entertain the flea market guests with some free magic. 75% they'll say yes (flea markets are weird, I'm making a video guide to them). Worst case: Buy a table for $20 and get Saturday and Sunday all day to perform magic at your table. You'll gather a HUGE crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 am 
Penguin

OK guys thanks for the advice and Paddy I see what you're saying now. Is it okay to do a lot of the same tricks that Blaine does though while busking? Those are the sort of tricks I have and have mastered and I don't really like to do "Cups and Balls" routines as I have never gotten the same reactions.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:33 am 

mason, I don't do the cups & balls myself. I have just rewritten my act to use just ropes. Take your 3 best tricks and arrange them as good, worst, best in that order. i run my show from 10 to 12 minutes and hat 'em then start again. Fat hats to you.

Paddy