View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: marriage proposal routine
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:31 pm 
Penguin

Hi everyone,

I'm proposing to my girlfriend in December and I came up with a routine that I wanted to use. I'd love advice and any suggestions or improvements. There are a couple things I'm not sure how to handle - I've had a long hiatus from magic so I'm a little rusty (but practicing a lot!)

It's going to go like this:

- the trick will utilize the gaff from blizzard. she will select any card from a normal deck, face up in her hands, and then we will sign the back of the card together. only, she will really be signing a different card (DL). I've ordered a blank deck so I can design this card myself.

- I'm only having her sign the card so I can use the blizzard gaff without detection, while she is signing it. so at that point, I have an entirely different deck on the table and she's unaware.

-after the prepared card is signed, I will do some kind of visual trick, just as a side thing. any suggestions are welcome. it won't be related to the rest of the routine, just something to add some time before the reveal of the prepared card.

- after that, the card is flipped and I've designed to have a heart with arrows and our initials (or something corny like that). I'll instruct her to tear the card into quarters, as if I'm going to do a restore.

- at this point I'll take the pieces and transform them into a ring. this is the part I'm not sure how to handle. I could use old fashioned sleight of hand, but like I said, I'm rusty and my hands will be shaking. is there some cool thing I can buy in the store to achieve this transformation?

- then I'll be using Tarantula to float the ring and hopefully get it on her finger. I'm NOT experienced with thread, but the idea is just way too cool so I'm going to practice until it's perfect. I've bought Loops as a backup in case the gimmick breaks or something (read some negative reviews).

- and the kicker: I used the blizzard gaff earlier to switch the deck for a different one. this one has blue bicycle backs like the real one, but the faces were once blank and have been filled in with 52 memories of our relationship.

Any ideas on how to make this better? The visual diversion in the middle? The card to ring transformation?

thanks!

Post subject: Re: marriage proposal routine
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:01 am 
born to perform.

Instead of the tear, could you just fold the card into a ring float it and then change it into a real ring and then float it onto her finger. Or you could change the card ring into the real ring and then float it, something like that anyway.

Zambini

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:08 pm 
Penguin

Man, your one smooth operator lol. Ok, so as far as your visual trick in the middle... just pick one of your favorites! it sounds like your already putting a lot of shaky material into this, putting a good familiar trick in the middle would be good for keeping your nerves in check. another thought for the middle trick is you could put in her favorite trick (if it fits). and i might recommend that you rehearse this on real people, maybe not anyone you know too well, just in case they leak it to her, but may be just go to the mall and kind of Blaine around a little bit, just tell them that your going to propose to your girlfriend by magical means, and that you were wondering if you could practice the routine on them (i would leave the real ring at home though :wink: ) i hope this can help!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:40 am 
Penguin

Beat the odds...Good luck and Congrats :)

What is the current divorce rate in America?
It is frequently reported that the divorce rate in America is 50%. This data is not accurately correct, however, it is reasonably close to actual. The Americans for Divorce Reform estimates that "Probably, 40 or possibly even 50 percent of marriages will end in divorce if current trends continue.", which is actually a projection.

Age at marriage for those who divorce in America
Age Women Men
Under 20 years old 27.6% 11.7%
20 to 24 years old 36.6% 38.8%
25 to 29 years old 16.4% 22.3%
30 to 34 years old 8.5% 11.6%
35 to 39 years old 5.1% 6.5%

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:49 pm 
Penguin

kconnors wrote:
Beat the odds...Good luck and Congrats :)

What is the current divorce rate in America?
It is frequently reported that the divorce rate in America is 50%. This data is not accurately correct, however, it is reasonably close to actual. The Americans for Divorce Reform estimates that "Probably, 40 or possibly even 50 percent of marriages will end in divorce if current trends continue.", which is actually a projection.

Age at marriage for those who divorce in America
Age Women Men
Under 20 years old 27.6% 11.7%
20 to 24 years old 36.6% 38.8%
25 to 29 years old 16.4% 22.3%
30 to 34 years old 8.5% 11.6%
35 to 39 years old 5.1% 6.5%

why would you post that? i thought the idea would be to give the guys great idea confidence not cold feet...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:31 am 
Penguin

[/quote]
why would you post that? i thought the idea would be to give the guys great idea confidence not cold feet...[/quote]

Who's idea ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:12 am 
Penguin

'...something to add some time before the reveal ..."

In the past this was termed timed misdirection; a utility device.

Both Hildner17 and zambini offer strong suggestions. This is out there, but here’s mine (Note: not sure if this would be appropriate to the moment, but it can be awfully funny); a long-ago dealer/inventor/performer named Al Diamond described his “Roach Pass” – as you likely know, the pass is a challenging move when doing card routines. Diamond came up w/ a cover for the move by stopping his actions, looking intently at the floor, screaming, “Roach!” and violently stomping his foot, all while doing the necessary.

Finally, w/ apologies as well as all due respect, kconnors post seems a bit off-topic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:23 am 
Penguin

To all who may have been "offended" by my post....

Facts are just that....I DID "Congrat." him and encouraged him to "beat the odds".

I've been married for 25 + plus years to the same woman, But it was the 2nd time for both of us. And it's not all "flowers and unicorns" you must work at it.

It does not come easy, But it IS worth it. I feel there is nothing wrong with presenting facts. I was not trying to discourage him.

So lighten-up !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:50 pm 
Penguin

@kconnors - please understand, old man, that I personally was in no way offended (I obviously speak only for myself); I merely observed the post seemed off-topic. I also prefaced my remark w/ apologies and offered my respect as a compeer.

In point of fact, your observations were on-point; were I to offer advice on the consideration of marriage, I daresay I would do well to be as accurate and informative as you managed.

However, this is a forum for the discussion of effect execution and performance, as I am quite sure you understand. Perhaps in your zeal to assist (which says much about the quality person I've no doubt you must be), you happened to make statements which were not quite in-line w/ general audience interest for said venue. This is not to say you were rude, offensive, or acting in any way other than trying to be the generously helpful person I've wouldn't question you are IRL.

In all other forums I've attended, the "thrust," if you will centers around a singular subject of interest. When posts not relevant to the venue are made (which happens often, typically arising from a desire to offer assistance), this is nevertheless described as "off-topic."

Hope that you, sir, are not offended. And BTW, I'd like to acknowledge your efforts to try to solve a problem I stated in another thread, further evidence your great heart is in the right place. Thank you, compeer!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:52 pm 
Penguin

*I wouldn't...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:35 am 
born to perform.

Search "marriage proposal magic" on YT for ideas.