View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Spellbound
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:48 am 
Penguin

I have a very old prop/routine whose effect is similar to, though more expanded than the historic China Town Coin (and which name escapes me); originally promoted through Diamond Magic (FL), but purchased by me second hand from a local dealer, back before there was dirt. It is a transposition of a solid U.S. coin (in this case, a silver half) to an Asian style coin (brass, w/ characters and a hole in center of coin) (if memory serves {not likely}, the China Town Coin routine used a U.S. quarter and a similarly sized gaffed brass coin); there are several phases, starting w/ removal of the brass coin from an envelope (transpo), displayed on a playing card (transpo), and finally enrobed in a silk and handed to the spectator (another, but different transpo, w/ a switch to a solid brass coin and silver half w/ a hole) where the climax occurs (irrelevant, but of interest, a display move occurs at one point which really sells the effect).

I retain the included instructions and necessary associated paraphernalia, but I'm at an impasse - at the end of the routine is a need to perform a switch/exchange called Spellbound. The move is, or at least has been in the past (coming out of retirement after many moons) well described, but I've no wish to purchase an entire comprehensive text/DVD on coin magic; I'll only use the move for this routine, as being an old f*rt I tend to shy away from too much knuckle-busting; my hands sometimes tremor (not cool when trying to perform technically challenging chops).

I'm wondering if anyone would know of an available manuscript or some such for purchase (I'm not cheap, certainly wish to add value to the product by investment, and want to compensate responsible parties) which describes and delineates the move? Alternately, is there another move (maybe more suited to the aforementioned limitations/needs) someone might know of which accomplishes the same effect and that I could acquire as described above?

Thanks for helping!

Post subject: Re: Spellbound
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:46 am 
Penguin

I would say get Bobo's Modern Coin Magic book...I believe it may be in what is called public domain which = FREE.

You can also find both the book (updated) and DVD here at Penguin Magic :)

See related post about Bobos:
viewtopic.php?f=10003&t=145765

Post subject: Re: Spellbound
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:31 pm 
Penguin

@kconnor - Many thanks for your reply. I previously owned a copy of Bobo, but that issue didn't have a description of Spellbound (the reason I purchased it to begin w/). However, that has been 16 years ago - perhaps it's been updated/expanded in that time.

I'll check it out. Your kind assist is greatly appreciated!

;-]