View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sound reading samples, please judge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:07 am 
Penguin

So, i decided to create a simple tool for people that want to learn soundreading.
Although the actual product will be recorded in a Studio and probably also with video for pencil reading practise, I wanted to get your opinion on the concept by sharing this sound pack with you:

http://www.schiz.nl/EnglishSoundNumbers.zip

This is just me writing down numbers and then saying what I wrote. What you have to do is place the 10 files in your mediaplayer and set it on shuffle and repeat. Then, while listening to the sounds, try to say which number you hear. If the voice says it to quickly, keep your hand on the pause button so you can give yourself more time to think.
Please, any comment and critics are welcome. With your help I would be able to get a nice product on the market.

Post subject: Re: Sound reading samples, please judge
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:03 pm 
Penguin

I downloaded it.

After our discussion the other day, I was on line with Eostresh (skype) and sound/pencil reading came up and I demonstrated a few techniques. Guessing full drawings he was making and so on and so forth.

It is a very hard thing to get right sound reading, the sound is clear enough and so is your voice. The only problem is you are not describing each number, for example '0' note the way the sound starts at the top and proceeds to go from left to right for an EVEN amount of time (this is essential to differentiate it from '6').

In your example of the number '1' you didn't place a line under the number. Some people do and in some cases some people draw the number one like this 'l'.

You need to point out each way, every number can be wrote down. The number '2' people can loop the bottom of the goose joint. same with the middle of '3'.

'4' can be done continually in one stroke, in two separate strokes or start at the bottom of the page and create a continual stroke.

'5' is pretty much straight forward (but I have come across people doing it in three strokes).

'6' Can sound exactly like '0' the only difference is learning how to listen to the time difference and where the stroke ends on the page. It can also sound like the number '9' (depending on how the 'tail' of the '6' is drawn) and the only way to tell the difference is to hear how fast the curvature of the initial line is.

'7' can be wrote continually, in two strokes, or with a dash in the center and the only way to tell the difference between '4' and '7' in that scenario is to hear where the pen ends. In the scenario someone did a continual '4' and a seven with a dash the pen would end in the exact same place and the only way to tell the difference would be to hear the small (almost unnoticeable) jump of the pen.

'8' is the second easiest to detect out of the numbers from 1-10 as is easiest detected by the length that the pen is on the paper.

'9' Sounds like '6' if it is drawn continually, it is essential to listen to the initial curve if it is fast, or slow.

'10' is easiest of all the numbers as it is the only one with two digits.

You need to talk about strokes, consistency, pen hopping and learn to listen for where the pen ends (remember everything is going to be backwards if you are facing in the opposite direction).

It is really hard to release something like this if you are not well versed in it. Anyone can record the numbers 1-10 with the amount of technology available today and you really need to think about this when recording the finished product.

You need to think of the size you are going to get people to write the numbers and give potential buyers advise on how to ensure their subjects write things the correct size. Advise on what pens to use to get the best sound.

Little nuances like giving someone a fat sharpie, will ensure they draw large numbers (because the nib on the sharpie is fat) using lines like 'make the number legible'.

My only advise is, sit and learn sound reading before trying to teach others. I really like the fact you are enthusiastic but simply recording 1-10 is not going to help anyone.

Please do not take my post as offence, I will help you in anyway I can and do not want to come across arrogant.

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 am 
Penguin

Do not worry about how you come across, as I feel you're the best help I could get.
I realise very well that the sound samples I've placed are not a good product on themselves.
Plans are much much bigger, the product would have:
- a deep analysis on soundreading through video. Showing how sounds can be interpreted.
- Multiple people writing thus giving a broad variatie on ways something can be writen (variations will be explained)
- Multiple surfaces and writing tools (pencil/paper, marker/notepad, chalk/slate)
- Multiple speeds and sizes
The purpose of the soundsamples was to see what people thought of the concept of learning soundreading like this. It's different then reality because of the lack of surrounding sounds and I was wondering if people would look positive or negative at such a thing.

I do wish to thank you for your comment. Although I did realise most of what you said, it's good to know I'm on the right track. Maybe you'd like to see the first script when I've writen it?

I do agree that a person with more experienced then me would be much better at creating such a product, but no such person is in my surroundings. I hope my dedication will do for now.
Do not worry, my standards of a good product are high and I wouldn't release anything which doesn't meet that standard.

Again, any additional tips are very welcome :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:10 am 
Penguin

When you have your product wrote up, I will take a look at it of course :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:41 pm 
Penguin

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.ph ... =1253&js=n

Sounds like exactly the thing I wanted to make....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:45 pm 
Penguin

Someone has always done every idea it does not mean you cannot do it and make it better ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:27 pm 
Penguin

im sorry but i think sound reading is a dead art and its dead for a reason!
i use to do it but i got cought more than once and thats enough time for me to not like it! its not me as a preformer its just people are smarter this we give them credit for!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:59 am 
Penguin

Sound Reading is far from dead...

It has saved my a** on many occasions. I agree that subjects are more knowledgable than we give them credit for, but a healthy mix of pen/sound/elbow and shoulder reading will fly by even in the most "testing" of circumstances.

What are you doing to let them catch you, cupping your ear? ;)

Use an almost dry marker on a sketch pad, it makes an amazing sound. Stand 2 steps away and when you think you have got the gist of the shapes I.E a square and a triangle.

Ask them if they are nearly done, that way even if they suspected that you were listening logically it would kill them thoughts as you are talking and they are responding (creating a verbal misdirection).

Once you have the shapes (in our example its pretty obious its a house), you will need to progressive anagram for the image.

(as an out just guessing the shapes will suffice as a fantastic answer).

I have also pen read over the telephone.

Pete