View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hello all!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:56 am 
Penguin

Hello everybody!! I signed up to this site before but don't believe I ever posted here before. It feels good to be back and part of an online community.

Just so I can quick get to know everybody here introduce yourselves to me and I'll do the same back. I just don't want to be interpreted as spam and this way I'll also know what type of online community this is. Most are either the type where everyone knows everyone and it has that sort of "I know you" type vibe and others are just "post questions/answers" and that's the end of it.

I'm hoping its it's the former of the 2 along with good discussion along with the question/answer thing lol.

I'm done talking now

Post subject: Re: Hello all!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:30 am 
born to perform.

Welcome. I'm Erik. I love cards but prefer to perform Mentalism(better reactions....'course maybe that's just because my card magic sucks? :shock: ) Anyways, what kind of magic do you like? Or are you pretty new to this?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:40 am 
Penguin

Thanks for the welcome!

I started out in cards, levitation, ect when I was 16. Then I started getting into Mentalism and Hypnotism and read a ton of material on Psychology once I hit about 19 or 20. I realize that may make me sound like a Derren Brown clone but I promise I'm not. I do however use a ton of psychological techniques and present it as psychological rather than psychic. I'm very much a fan of "pure" Mentism (without gimmicks) and that's the approach I take. 

Are there many other Mentalists here or is it mostly Magicians? Nothing against either I'm just curious if it's balanced here or if one category dominates.

Also, please don't take the above comment as hate or disrespect towards Derren Brown or his fans, as I am also a huge fan of his! I just wanted to explain Im not a clone. 

Lol so that's the long answer to your question. Short answer, I'm more of Mentalist and I've been doing this about 8 years. I turn 24 tomorrow.

Thanks!
David

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:58 am 
Penguin

Happy Birthday, David!

My name's Alex. I mostly perform magic as opposed to mentalism, though I do do a little bit. My preference is cards, though I've found that magic with ordinary objects gets great reactions. I've been into magic for about a year now. I hope you find your stay on the forums enjoyable :D

-Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:40 pm 
Penguin

Thanks!

This forum seems to have some pretty friendly and knowledgable ppl so far.

I hope I continue to enjoy it as well! Lol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:44 pm 
Penguin

Im Devin.

Nice to have you on the forums. I have always found mentalism very interesting but have not studied it very far. Any clues as to where to start?

I am a magician, do lots of kids shows. Hope you have fun here on the forums.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:55 pm 
born to perform.

There are a good number of mentalists around here. They are usually at the mentalism board. If you like low and no prop mentalism check out Peter Turner's work. http://www.lybrary.com/snap-a-treatise- ... 29810.html

He posts here pretty regular. Pablo Amira drops in from time to time. Buckey is a respected journeyman in the craft. Benji is a mentalist as well though most of his best advice is how to build your business. Keepitbottled also has a great effect that he is putting out as a small release(to recoup costs from an effect that he basically designed for himself.) So yeah....There are a bunch around here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:17 am 
born to perform.

Hi David!

Welcome to the boards. We're all civilised people here.... :lol:

THis forum has been invaluable to me since I started almost 8 years ago now. But now, I do a bit of everything. ALthough I'm trying to narrow myself down to more corporate gigs, restaurants, etc, etc. Its not my full profession, as I do something else for my "Real" job.

Benji has been a great help to me. his ebook on restaurant magic is brilliant. get it if you're in that sorta of environment and want to get big business out of it.

I'm building my website at the moment, still a lot of work and tinkering needs to be done. its nothing crazy and out there, but if keepit gets on this thread, he might put his website up as well 'cause I like his layout too. THis is my web address if anyone is interested.

www.sooweemagic.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:18 pm 
Penguin

Thank you all for the welcome!

And good luck with your website! I hope the launch goes well!

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:00 am 
Penguin

Hi David, Sorry I did not see this earlier WELCOME :)

Peter Turner

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:50 pm 
born to perform.

DavidGamut wrote:
Thanks!

This forum seems to have some pretty friendly and knowledgable ppl so far.

I hope I continue to enjoy it as well! Lol

Yeah well............... give us some time............... you might change your mind on that :D