View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Magic Lessons.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:45 pm 
Penguin

Okay, so I am considering giving magic lessons. Is that a recommended thing to do? I have all my materials for teaching put together and am planning on splitting lessons into 4 different categories.

1. Sleights

Books
Klutz Book of Magic (my first book)
Tarbell's Course in Magic
Card College
Bobo's Coin Magic

DVDs
Born to Perform Card Magic
Sponge
In the Beginning There Were Coins (maybe)

2. Showmanship
Books

DVDs
On The Spot by Greg Wilson

3. History of Magic

Hiding the Elephant
Tarbell's Course in Magic

4. Gimmicks and Supplies (optional)

TT
Silks
Coins
Sponge Balls
Cards
Rope and Ring
Stealth Pen
Svengali Deck
Invisible Deck
Wands
Cups and Balls
Etc.

5. Magic for Business (optional and advanced)

Books
How to Make Money by Magic (Module 1, 2, and 3) by Paul Daniels

DVDs
Big B Little S series by Penguin Magic

Any thoughts on how much to charge, other sources, etc. would be appreciated!! thanks.

Post subject: Re: Magic Lessons.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 pm 
Penguin

Honestly, if I were to take lessons from someone I'd be more interested in their personal lecture notes than what sources they can offer me. Anyone simply looking at your post there already has the whole lesson laid out for them.

When I was taking lessons from Steve Dobson, he was far more interested in what I was learning, what I knew, and where I wanted to go. He taught litteral to me, and not specific sources. He drilled me on sleights over and over and over again (Not from any book, he actually showed me). As an example, when teaching the DL he asked me how I wanted to appear when turning over a card. Relaxed? Flashy? Technically? I was more of a flashy performer, so he began teaching me the push-off DL.

I think the books and videos are better suited to folks looking to learn on their own and/or gather material. As for sleight drills, getting involved in your local magic community and rings offers a wide range of folks who may be willing to critique.

-ArchAngel_G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:06 am 
born to perform.

Your resources for teaching; books and DVD's are for viewing yourself and then teaching to others what the material teaches, correct? Otherwise it's not you giving the lesson it is the material to which I wouldn't charge at all for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:58 pm 
Penguin

Okay just to clarify... I would be using these resources the same way a piano teacher would use sheet music. Obviously I would be teaching students sleights and showmanship myself, but I also realize there are many greater minds out there than me, and I dont want my students limited to just my teaching. Letting them read resources like Tarbell as homework seems like a good idea to me?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:25 pm 
Penguin

I don't think it's bad to recommend sources to people who the source actually fits for. The course you listed there may not exactly jive as well with a student as it would for you. THAT's why a student pays a teacher. It's more to be a guide for them to help them figure out what sleight they SHOULD be practicing. What sources they SHOULD pay more attention to (Or chapters if you wanted to be more specific). Sending them to read the resource for homework though I think is a bad idea. My homework consisted of specific sleights (Elmsly Count and DL) that I would be required to practice 2 hours a day. Then I'd show up every week to show my progress where I would be shown where I was "flashing", where my rhythm was off, or how I needed to change what I was doing to look more natural. I'd say a good 80% of my time during lessons was spent in rehersal, and not even for a specific trick. I learned very few actual tricks.

Thinking back on it, I realize I could have had the same thing for free if I had spent more time after hours with magicians at cafes where they would rehearse stuff for each other.