View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Questions for misdirection
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:20 pm 
born to perform.

Hey guys, I suppose this is the right forum to talk about this. But I believe that the best misdirection is to ask a question. And it seems the stranger your question, the more misdirection you will create. I was recently watching a Jay Sankey YouTube video and he had a good one. Ask the person what’s their middle name? Hearing that random question would completely shock them and for that moment they'll forget about anything that you've done and are doing to set up for your next trick or what not.

This is more than just misdirection, there are actual studies that go on about this. I learned about something called Nero Associative Conditioning, which you would do something random or ask a random question to almost jolt your nervous system to break any bad habit or pattern. I won't go into the study but you can see this can be used for great misdirection as long as it’s not too strong.

So I was hoping to get some feedback on some other appropriate but strange questions that could be asked for some misdirection fun.

Post subject: Re: Questions for misdirection
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 pm 
born to perform.

ScottO wrote:
Hey guys, I suppose this is the right forum to talk about this. But I believe that the best misdirection is to ask a question. And it seems the stranger your question, the more misdirection you will create. I was recently watching a Jay Sankey YouTube video and he had a good one. Ask the person what’s their middle name? Hearing that random question would completely shock them and for that moment they'll forget about anything that you've done and are doing to set up for your next trick or what not.

This is more than just misdirection, there are actual studies that go on about this. I learned about something called Nero Associative Conditioning, which you would do something random or ask a random question to almost jolt your nervous system to break any bad habit or pattern. I won't go into the study but you can see this can be used for great misdirection as long as it’s not too strong.

So I was hoping to get some feedback on some other appropriate but strange questions that could be asked for some misdirection fun.

Yes, I agree a question is a good way of getting someone's attention elsewhere. But in my mind IT HAS TO MAKE SENSE to the situation and what is unfolding. It can come out of left field at the time and surprise your spectator but I had a very odd thing occur to me just last week.
I was staying in Venice in Los Angeles last week and on one of the days my girlfriend and I were walking along the Venice Beach strip and we were approached by a magician. He did a quick card trick followed by a coin set. Both were executed a bit hamfistedly but we played along and acted surprised at the right times. But I will never forget his HORRIBLE misdirection! Its literally all we could talk about once we left the performance. It just made no sense. The most memorable was when he was trying to load a quarter onto my shoulder for a later reveal (quite transparently) and his misdirection was - "That's a nice jacket. Looks vintage 1985. Have you seen the film American Psycho? Its a film starring Christian Bale. Yeah, its really good and based in the 80's. Here look at the coin" Which he then proceeded to vanish and then pointed to my shoulder (which I had to adjust to an awkward angle to stop the coin from falling while he was asking that ridiculous question). This piece of misdirection was so strange that it was laughably memorable and all we could talk about when we where walking away.
So the point of that anecdote is practice your magic and the question NEEDS to tie in to what you are doing or where you are going. It can be surprising and random but not so random you end up looking stupid - which this poor chap regrettably did.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:49 pm 
born to perform.

Yes, great point. I think the timing of the question is very important too. The way Jay went about it I think made more sense also. He was borrowing a hair band to do the old rubber band jumping finger to finger trick and as he was getting the band he asked a question before he told them what he was going to do. As he was talking he put the band on the secret finger. The video is worth a watch at 1:13 is what I'm talking about to get a better idea. http://www.youtube.com/user/BendingTheR ... C-6w6ucSRU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:59 pm 
Penguin

Also, if you say the spectator's name, he will generally look up to your eyes, misdirecting him from your hands. If you say his/her name, then ask the question, you will get eye contact misdirection, then the misdirection from a "random" question. Double-whammy.