View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Encyclopedia of mentalism and mentalists...?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:34 am 
Penguin

Has anyone seen or heard anything about this book?
Reviews?

Post subject: Re: Encyclopedia of mentalism and mentalists...?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:10 pm 
Penguin

Berling Hull?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:30 pm 
Penguin

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13260

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:44 pm 
Penguin

Not read this book, read Burling Hulls work (which I think is fantastic)!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:02 pm 
Penguin

Only thing is Im not into stage stuff....I like street impromtu stuff...
Is any of it impromtu could a lot of it work on the street?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:50 pm 
Penguin

Any routine can be adapted to street ("IF" you make a few minor alterations) you are only limited by your own imagination!

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:58 am 
Penguin

So what kind of tricks does this book have..?
Im really wanting to learn how to force thoughts,predict objects (not just cards,or ESP cards)
confabulations ect....

BTW thank you for your help,Its greatly appreciated :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:28 am 
born to perform.

I don't know that there is one single source. Read 13 steps(I think you have already done that) then read Anneman, Probably read Bob Cassedy's "Fundamentals"(more for the thoughts on character development than the methods) thenstart exploring. Benechek, Luke Jermay, and check out Peter's e-books. Get a foundation in billet peeking, billet switching, nail writers, indexes, and impression devices. Those are probably the most common mechanical methods to get info. Once you learn those techniques and decide which one you like you can start thinking about how to present those so it doesn't look like you need to have someone write the info down.

That's all the basic stuff. Then you can start working with the more verbal methods. The stuff that requires a gift of gab. Ie. doing "Good" magicians choice effects as opposed to crappy ones. Then you just start picking and choosing methods and presentations that work for you. A lot of the mentalism that I read now really just inspires me more than teaches me. For instance, I might really like the way a certain effect is presented but I don't like the method. Fine, I cherry pick another method that I like. Or I find a really clever method I like but I don't like the presentation. So I find a new way to present an effect using that method.

So I guess what I am saying is that there is no single answer for everybody. You say you want to force thoughts, predict objects, and do confabulations. You also say that you have read 13 steps.....well 13steps has effects that do all of that. It might not have been effects that sounded good when you read it but that is probably because the book was written in the 60s. There are a bunch of effects in that book that are still used to this day by working pros but you would not recognize them because the good performers really disguise what they are doing. So reread the book and think about how you could redress some of those effects for a street performance in 2012. You will probably find a ton of good material in there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:19 am 
Penguin

Also they are referred to as effects as apposed to tricks, a lot of mentalists take offence by such things ;)

There are a million sources, re-read 13 steps and purchase practical mental magic (or effects) it can be purchased from lybrary.com for a small, small amount of money.

These two books, will tell you everything you need to know about about mentalism!

Pete

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:16 pm 
Penguin

It seems to be just 2 books combined:
13 steps to mentalism by Corinda
&
Mind readers - masters of deception by rauscher

anyone can say it's different?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:43 pm 
Penguin

If you are intent on performing mentalism in everyday circumstances, you will probably benefit more from the work of Banachek. This is especially applicable to the psychological thought-forcing to which you made reference.
That said, it is worth noting that you should certainly read 13 Steps to Mentalism simply for the variety of material that it offers, as well as the versatility of the content.

***Honestly, if you want my best advice on performing mentalism of the sort that you have described, all you need are a few psychological forces, and the first few techniques taught in 13 Steps to Mentalism.***

With only a few index cards and a pencil, you will have the strongest street-viable mentalism. In Maximum Entertainment, Ken Weber says that "strong mentalism" translates to "convincing mentalism." I would expand upon that by adding that the best mentalism is also direct. How much more direct can it be than this:

1) Have the participant write down a thought
2) Read his / her mind, writing down the impressions you receive
3) Show that they are exactly the same

And if you have a psychological force:

1) Tell the participant to think of a random "something"
2) Read her thought and reveal exactly what she was thinking

For the latter approach, one isn't even required to write anything! But writing it on a card would provide an "out," which is always useful in a psychologically-based routine.

Once more, in my opinion, to do what you want to do, you only need the first few sections of 13 Steps to Mentalism (though the whole book will help you alter and expand the effects for more strength) and a few psychological forces. For the forces, you would be wise to look into Psychological Subtleties by Banachek.