View Cart | View Account | Help
Order by phone: 800-880-2592
Check out our favorite NEW ARRIVALS
Need it fast? Order before 4pm Eastern and your order ships SAME DAY.

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:42 pm 
Emperor Penguin

taterhead wrote:
So you suggest letting the heckler mess up your performance, rather than making them look dumb early so no one else listens to them.

No, I suggest ignoring them.

These are steps from paid Las Vegas performer Tyas Frantz, which I posted in my Heckler essay:
Quote:
1) Acknowledge the heckler.

“Acknowledging the heckler” means when a heckler spots a method and points it out, just say something along the lines of, “Good eye,” and move along. But do it in a nonchalant manner, and quickly move on. Odds are they will keep their mouth shut for the rest of your performance.

2) Ignore the heckler.

This step is, I feel, pretty self-explanatory. Just act as if the heckler is not there, and either the rest of the audience will hush them up or the heckler will decide that it’s not worth it and will either be quiet or leave.

3) Out-heckle.

This is one step that I usually skip, because it usually ends up turning into a huge “argument” and the rest of the audience grows bored, and therefore leaves.

4) Educate the audience.

If, at this point, the heckler is still bothering you, just stop wherever you are at in your performance, and tell the rest of the audience that you can no longer perform while the heckler is in the audience. At this point, the audience usually takes care of the heckler for you by “booing and shooing” the heckler away.

5) Have the heckler removed.

Hopefully you never let the heckler get past step four, but, if for any reason, it does happen…. it is time for the heckler to leave your performance. If it is a free show, and therefore they did not pay to watch you perform, it’s practically impossible for you to have the heckler removed. However, if it is a paid performance, you are in complete control of who watches you perform, and for how long they do so… therefore you are able to take them outside, tell them they need to leave, and give them a complete refund.

So no... I don't recommend trying to upstage or out-heckle the heckler... unless your name just so conveniently happens to be Gazzo, and you conveniently happen to have been busking for a very long, long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:21 am 
Penguin

I agree with you adjones. That could definately be an effective way to deal with hecklers, but I guess it's just not my style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:26 pm 
Penguin

I prefer to misdirect with a bogus explanation, making it seem possible for people to do, if they knew psychology, NLP or non verbal communication. They are looking for an explanation, give them one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:29 pm 
born to perform.

rpierce56 wrote:
I prefer to misdirect with a bogus explanation, making it seem possible for people to do, if they knew psychology, NLP or non verbal communication. They are looking for an explanation, give them one.

Except if you're trying to mystify them, this isn't the way to go. If you just want to impress them with fast hands or psychological techniques, then this is fine.

The moment they have any explanation, the magic is lost.

-JT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:21 pm 
born to perform.

tedricpancoast wrote:

As to the question, I've come to the conclusion that all magicians are pathelogical liars.

Ted

I'm sorry, that answer is incorrect. The correct answer is magicians are entertainers and therefore when they tell stories that are half truths or completely fictional, they are either story tellers or actors. They are closely related to actors as they act out stories as if they were real but at no point in time do they claim what they are doing is real. If, for any reason, they do cross this line, then they have bordered on the dark arts and that's a no-no.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:57 pm 
Penguin

tedricpancoast wrote:
BrianationX wrote:
Im a 100% real
I rather take credit than the deck
I never say I do magic, That would be like lying
and BrianationX is an honest man

To me the ultimate sign of an ego maniac is when a person starts refering to themselves in the third person,

ie

"Karl Malone does what Karl Malone wants to do" is what Karl Malone said after a reporter asked him what he was going to do after the season was over.

As to the question, I've come to the conclusion that all magicians are pathelogical liars. Since we are making up stories to entertain, I guess it's ok. Personally, I think that magicians that try to pass things off as "REAL" (like Cris Angel) are NOT COOL!!! Don't make it into something it's not. Magic is entertainment.

Ted

For a second, I thought you were referring to Bill Malone considering he appears to have a HUGE ego too. I suppose it doesn't change the fact that his persona is way too ego maniacal for me to like. Here's what I'm referring to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y-s37CAcrI

His performance is good, but I question why he chants his own name after a good trick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:35 pm 
Penguin

wreksy wrote:
I rather not ruin that terrific feeling the spectators get. I don't want to ruin the moment, I ignore them instead. I just look at them for a bit. That answers the question the way they wanted to hear it.
BTW, I'm back. LOL

Criss angel has said many times that its all an illusion, and that it is not real.

He gets pissed off when people claim to be real, I know the whole what you see is what you get, and he talks about spirits and stuff in some of his demonstrations, but thats to make it seem more real, he never actually says that he can levitate and vanish, and turn peeps into orange juice.

He has stated multiple times that he doesn't believe in psychic powers, you walked up to someone and said "Hey, Im going to cold read you" it would not freak them out as much as if you just walked up and started saying stuff that happened to them.

I think you should tell them after you freak them out. :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:58 am 
Penguin

taterhead wrote:
If you come across a heckler and they say magic isn't real simply pull out your best trick and say "Watch this and decide for yourself, if you can tell me how I do it then magic isn't real,but if you can't then magic is real."

I can't imagine this being a good idea.

I actually think it's a terrible one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:25 am 
Penguin

KrisDeagle wrote:
tedricpancoast wrote:

As to the question, I've come to the conclusion that all magicians are pathelogical liars.

Ted

I'm sorry, that answer is incorrect. The correct answer is magicians are entertainers and therefore when they tell stories that are half truths or completely fictional, they are either story tellers or actors. They are closely related to actors as they act out stories as if they were real but at no point in time do they claim what they are doing is real. If, for any reason, they do cross this line, then they have bordered on the dark arts and that's a no-no.

This

It's acting. How "real" you want to be depends highly on how you want to be portrayed. Are you the "card shark" that can easily count cards and have a super photographic memory? Are you the humble fool who doesn't even understand half the magic you perform?

I try to be as "real" as possible. What I do in the audiences eyes is not a demonstration of skills, but of an impossibility. Never once do I claim I have mystical powers, but I also never suggest that I don't (Except in certain situations where I am discussing with someone post effect. Sometimes you do need to clarify that it's all just an act). All my movements and patter are meant to suggest honest handling and absence of "trickery" (This is also why I NEVER do gambling effects).

-ArchAngel_G

Post subject: Re: How "Real" are you?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 pm 
Penguin

I'm not that good at English but I want to discuss my short opinion.

I'm not the God and you know that every magic has its own methodology. So, it is already not real. So

I don't perform magic to fool people. If I try to fool people, they will try to not to be fooled by my magic.

My magic is not a puzzle to let people solve.

In my expericence, after your show or tricks are all over people will only remember you who has his own personality & characteristic not the tricks.

Conclusion : So, to make your magic more valuable try to talk to people using your magic everyday.

If you do that people will be wet in your magic. That means, they will completely adapt to you so they

won't avoid or be against your magic.

Dream, Thinking outside the box, Wish, or many many things you can express with your magic.

My short English is limited to tell my thoughts completely but I hope you feel the concept of my magic.

Your magic is not only to fool people but express or appeal many things to people!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm 
Emperor Penguin

As Jamy Ian Swiss would say, "I am an honest liar." There is nothing wrong allowing people to believe in magic, especially kids. The only problem is when someone claims to have real power and they tries to take advantage of people for financial gain. (Uri Geller etc.) Or those claiming that they can talk to dead. I can't stand those types. However there is nothing wrong with playing the role of a magician, and most people know it is entertainment, but also want to believe it is magic because it is fun, and brings back their inner child. But any sensible person knows it is not actually real magic. But I don't say if it is or isn't, I simply say "you decide."

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:07 pm 
Emperor Penguin

PoppinValium wrote:
wreksy wrote:
I rather not ruin that terrific feeling the spectators get. I don't want to ruin the moment, I ignore them instead. I just look at them for a bit. That answers the question the way they wanted to hear it.
BTW, I'm back. LOL

Criss angel has said many times that its all an illusion, and that it is not real.

He gets pissed off when people claim to be real, I know the whole what you see is what you get, and he talks about spirits and stuff in some of his demonstrations, but thats to make it seem more real, he never actually says that he can levitate and vanish, and turn peeps into orange juice.

He has stated multiple times that he doesn't believe in psychic powers, you walked up to someone and said "Hey, Im going to cold read you" it would not freak them out as much as if you just walked up and started saying stuff that happened to them.

I think you should tell them after you freak them out. :)

Siss Angel, ah yes the "ideological biggot." He is right though what you see is what you get. And when I see (him?) I see a metrosexual reject with outdated 80's rocker hair, who swallows cameras, has a speech impediment, no sleight of hand/closeup ability, and an enormous ego based on nothing more than camera editing, stooges, and cut shots... Are you ready? And I am being polite compared to what I have said in the past about that tool.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:45 am 

Hey Brad, tell us what you really think about "Angel." :lol:

You were going easy on him, he should be banned from everything, him & Blaine too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:15 am 
born to perform.

As long as you entertain people it dont matter. I listen to most of Paddy posts. He has been in magic a long time. But I think he is wroung about David Blaine and Angel. There doing what they set out to do. Entertain people. Makes them happy and alot of people. Who cares...........

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:58 pm 
Emperor Penguin

paddy wrote:
Hey Brad, tell us what you really think about "Angel." :lol:

You were going easy on him, he should be banned from everything, him & Blaine too.

Yeah I was in a good mood so I did not want to bash him. :lol: At least Blaine has some chops and can do sleight of hand. I actually like Blaine and his attitude. Criss only wishes he had a fraction of the sleight of hand ability that Blaine has.

But I am sure somehow with his camera crew, that he could at least make it look like he can perform simple switch, instant replay, curly cue, snap change, DL, and a one handed riffle shuffle. I bet Criss throws the deck across the room everytime he tries them and fails. Funny how he says "David who" yet is he tries to be a carbon copy of Blaine, who was the first to place emphasis on the spectator and not the magician. Then millions come out of the woodwork claiming they already thought of it, Blaine just beat them to it. :lol: